CHATHAM SHOW 2014 14th & 15th June 2014

richierailfan72

UPDATED 6th June 2014

We are pleased to announce that the Chatham Show will be taking place for the second year running in the Medway Park Leisure Centre, Mill Road, Gillingham, Kent ME7 1HF.

The show will take place on Saturday 14th June from 10am to 5pm, and on Sunday 15th June from 10am to 4pm.

Entrance price is £7 per adult (No concessions).

Children under 14 are permitted free entry with an accompanying adult.

Our informative 28-page A4 Show Catalogue is available for just £1.

Directions by Road.

Travelling From London

Exit London on the A2 (direction Dover)
Follow the A2/Rochester Way Relief Road until the A289
Take the A289 towards Gillingham/A228/Grain
At the first Roundabout, take the 2nd exit onto A289/Wainscott Eastern Bypass
Take the 1st exit at the next two roundabouts through the Medway Tunnel
At the Tunnel exit, take the slip road and then take the 3rd exit at the Roundabout onto Maritime Way. 
Take the 2nd exit at the next Roundabout onto Dock Road
Take the 1st exit at the next Roundabout onto the A231 Wood Street
Carry straight on through the Traffic Lights onto the A231 Brompton Road
Turn left into Mill Road
Turn left into Medway Park

​Travelling From The Coast 
Follow the M2
Exit at junction 4, take the A278 to Gillingham 
At the roundabout, take the second exit onto A278/Hoath Way heading to Gillingham/A2
Go straight across at the next two roundabouts
At the third roundabout, take the first exit onto the A2/Sovereign Road/Watling Street 
At the next roundabout, take the third exit onto the A289/Ito Way 
Go straight across the next three roundabouts
Just before the Tunnel approach, take the slip road and then take the 1st exit at the Roundabout onto Maritime Way. 
Take the 2nd exit at the next Roundabout onto Dock Road
Take the 1st exit at the next Roundabout onto the A231 Wood Street
Carry straight on through the Traffic Lights onto the A231 Brompton Road
Turn left into Mill Road
Turn left into Medway Park

There is space for over 200 vehicles (with 10 disabled bays) within the Leisure Centre Car Park, and it has been confirmed that it is free parking all weekend (ticket machines to be covered up).

There are also various parking spaces within a short walk from the leisure centre, with reasonable rates (no refunds available).

See http://www.medway.gov.uk/transportandstreets/parking/wheretoparkinmedway/wheretoparkingillingham.aspx for more detail of local parking.

By Public Transport:

Medway Park is a short walk from Gillingham Railway Station with services provided by Southeastern on the High Speed, Main Line & Metro routes from London Victoria, St Pancras International, Charing Cross or Cannon Street, London Bridge, Ramsgate or Dover Priory.

There is also a frequent bus service from Maidstone and Chatham Bus Stations as well as from Chatham and Gillingham Railway Station to the War Memorial bus stop (nearest stop to Medway Park). Bus No 101 runs a service roughly every 15 minutes on Saturday (30 minutes on Sunday) from Maidstone Chequers Centre Bus Station to Gillingham Railway Station. (See http://www.arrivabus.co.uk/ for more details).

Please be aware that the access to the exhibition is through the main entrance to the Leisure Centre, by the entrance to the Car Park, off Mill Road.

We look forward to your visit this year.

Confirmed.

Layouts.

Arigna Town, Scale: 7mm/ft, Gauge: 36.7mm Irish Broad Gauge

Belmont Road, Scale: 4mm/ft, Gauge OO

Billton Goods, Scale: 3mm/ft, Gauge: 12mm

Bleadon, Scale: O, Gauge: 32mm

Bleak Moor, Gauge: N

Chatham & District Club O Gauge Layout

Crumley and Little Wickhill, Scale: 4mm/ft, Gauge: 9mm (OO9)

Dinas Mawddwy, Scale: 7mm/ft, Gauge: O

Docklands 'LIKE' Railway, Scale: 4mm/ft, Gauge: 16.5mm OO

Drive it Yourself: O Gauge Finescale

Eperon D'or, Scale: HO, Gauge: 3.5mm

Harpenden East, Scale: 7mm/ft, Gauge: O

Happisburgh Goods, Scale: 7mm/ft, Gauge: O

Havergo Junction, Scale: 4mm/ft, Gauge: OO

Hawkhurst Station, Scale: 4mm/ft, Gauge: OO

Hopfields, Scale: 1:19, Gauge: 32mm and 45mm

Johnstown Road Scale: 7mm/ft Gauge: O

Khan, Scale: OO9 (4mm/ft), Gauge: 9mm

Maneoattie: Scale: HO 1:87, Gauge: 16.5mm

Manston Airport: Scale: OO, Gauge: 16.5mm

OO Live Steam Layout & Driver Training, Scale: 4mm/ft, Gauge OO

Pagham Harbour, Scale: 4mm/ft, Gauge: OO9

Palmerston Road, Scale: 7mm/ft, Gauge: O

Prospect Wharf & Yard, Scale: 4mm, Gauge: EM

Red Hook Bay, Scale: 1:87, Gauge: HO

Rolvenden, Scale: 4mm/ft, Gauge: P4

Rusbury Basin, Scale: 2mm/ft, Gauge: N

Saint-Amis-Sur-Mer, Scale: HO m, Gauge: 12mm

Salmon Pastures, Scale: 4mm/ft, Gauge: OO

Southbridge, Scale: 2mm/ft, Gauge: N

The Corn Mill, Scale: 4mm/ft, Gauge: 9mm (OO9)

Traders.

3mm Scale Model Railways

A.G.L. Associates

ABC Model Railways

All Components

Andy Lynch Railways

Bespoke Baseboards

Boxfile Dioramas

Branchlines

Cambrian Models

C&L Finescale

Carriage & Wagon Models

Ceynix Railway Trees

Chalk Garden Rail

Chris Page Models

Club Shop

Coastal DCC

Dakota Dibben

DC Kits / D&E Videos

Euroscale Models

Finishing Touches

Footplate

Golden Arrow Productions

Gramodels

Green Scene

Heritage in Motion

Hobby Holidays

Invicta Model Rail Ltd

Jonathan Clay Transport Art

Kent Garden Railways

Kytes Lights

Langley Models

Layouts4u

London Road Models

Matthew Cousins Paintings & Prints

Mike Thorpe Photos

Model Railway Developments

Myloco Sound UK

N Brass Locos

Plus Daughters

Rail-Books.co.uk

RailRoad Trading

Ray Morris

Regal Models

Roger Carpenter Photographs

Roneo Models

Ron Lines

Roxey Mouldings

Simply Southern

Skytrex (2013) Ltd

South Eastern Finecast

Supercast

Totem Signs

Unit Models

Wealistic Models

Woodpecker Books & Videos

Societies

British 1:87 Scale Society

East Kent Railway

EM Gauge Society (EMGS)

Friends of Chatham Traction

Kent Community Rail Partnership

R.C.T.S.

Sittingbourne & Kemsley Light Railway

Thames & Medway Canal Association

Demonstrators

Making Layout Trees

Scale Model Buildings

Soldering

This is the final list of attendees, so apologies for any late drop-outs.

Please come along and enjoy yourself.

• 1 month later...

We hope the catering to be quicker and better but unfortunately in common with most leisure centres it is out of our direct control, there are other catering outlets in Gillingham High Street only s few minutes walk away, one of our most common complaints over the years has been catering, be it in the Fitted Rigging House or Covered Slip. We are allowed to provide teas and meals to exhibitors but not the public, we suggested the caterers set up a tea and coffee stand in the hall but that was also not permitted.

Aren't London Road Models attending? Their website says that they are.

Sorry I have not got back to you sooner.

I have been told that London Road Models are going to attend this year. If anything changes I will let you know.

As I mentioned in the main post, Bob Whiting who normally organises the traders & societies was taken ill a while ago, so someone else has taken over this task. I have requested a list of who we have got so far so I can get it up-to-date. The same goes with the layouts of which I have been told there are 28 that have been confirmed. I will let you know when I have confirmation. 

Please bear with us, and if you have an enquiry about anything or anyone attending, please feel free to comment either here or on the website on http://www.chatham-mrc.com/contact.php, and click on the exhibition drop-down box.

We will endeavour to get back to you once we have an answer. 

Will the catering be better? Last year it was a long slow queue for nothing very appetising and I ended up giving it a miss. Left exhibition early as a result.

As Fulton says, there are alternatives in the town itself. It's an easy walk, on the flat, less than five minutes. The centre is pedestrianised, and there's a pedestrian crossing near the venue to cross the busy road from Chatham.

Gillingham's fast food shops reflect the town's immigrant influx over the years, a wide variety. However, there's also at least one chip shop, the street market often has a stall selling pasties (etc), and J. C. Rook, the Kent butchers, sells pasties, pies and really tasty bacon or sausage baguettes. I expect you could also find a traditional cafe and bakers.

Further afield there are frequent buses down to Chatham, with the same mix of food outlets, or you could travel on to Rochester, where there are plenty of opportunities to eat in an excellent environment - by far the nicest part of the Medway towns.

As Fulton says, there are alternatives in the town itself. It's an easy walk, on the flat, less than five minutes. The centre is pedestrianised, and there's a pedestrian crossing near the venue to cross the busy road from Chatham.

Gillingham's fast food shops reflect the town's immigrant influx over the years, a wide variety. However, there's also at least one chip shop, the street market often has a stall selling pasties (etc), and J. C. Rook, the Kent butchers, sells pasties, pies and really tasty bacon or sausage baguettes. I expect you could also find a traditional cafe and bakers.

Further afield there are frequent buses down to Chatham, with the same mix of food outlets, or you could travel on to Rochester, where there are plenty of opportunities to eat in an excellent environment - by far the nicest part of the Medway towns.

And also for those junk food addicts, there is a McDonalds near Gillingham Railway Station and a KFC a short walk along Canterbury Street. 

• 2 weeks later...

Including of course McDonalds! - https://maps.google.co.uk/?ll=51.3867,0.548775&spn=0.000007,0.005284&t=m&z=18&layer=c&cbll=51.386728,0.548609&panoid=FzQhzE5JlE5laRX1vc07gA&cbp=12,55.19,,0,0

• 4 weeks later...

For those of you who decide to drive to the show, here is a list of car parks including parking fees around Gillingham. (Prices and Locations are taken from the Medway Council Website, so is thought to be accurate as far as I know).

Remember that parking only within the Medway Park Leisure Centre is free just for the weekend of the 14th & 15th June.

Hot news today. As last year we have arranged for FREE parking at Medway Park Leisure Centre for our weekend, the ticket machines will be covered up, please note normal charges apply off site with no refunds. Last year the on site car park was soon full Saturday morning with visitors to our show, Medway Park customers and shoppers to the popular Gillingham High Street market, there were spaces Saturday afternoon and all day Sunday. Exhibitors please note we have own parking area to the rear.

I will be hiding behind GrahamB's Southbridge layout on the Sunday, and he will have GWR Fanatic operating on the Saturday, so do say hello to us.

Colin

As you will be hiding, will there be any point in saying hello?

As you will be hiding, will there be any point in saying hello?

Jol, Colin's quote is not strictly true. You won't find him hiding behind the layout at an exhibition. Rather, under the layout, with his size 12 boots sticking out one end, trying to persuade the electrics to work. But do say hello to his feet.

Bill

Jol, Colin's quote is not strictly true. You won't find him hiding behind the layout at an exhibition. Rather, under the layout, with his size 12 boots sticking out one end, trying to persuade the electrics to work. But do say hello to his feet.

Bill

Bill, as the layout is a GWR one, I shall expect to hear you shouting hello to me from across the hall :P and as its not my layout or even a club layout, any electrical problems with it, I shall leave it to the owner to rectify.

Colin

• 2 weeks later...

We will be delighted to meet anyone from various forums at Chatham.

Mind you can I suggest you eat before you arrive as we don't do fast food.

Sadly we are serious modellers,,,not professional eaters,, or parkers !!

post-3458-0-89671600-1401639705.jpg

See you there.

SAD & Salmon Pastures!!

The "Stealth Bomber" had a successful test flight in the club room last night with just a couple of very minor repairs to finish. So, ready to fly south in 10 days time. Looking forward to the Show - quite a number of years since I've visited Chatham.

Mal

A GWR layout? Marvellous! I will be there to see it on Saturday.

Bill, do you want me to get some photos for you?  :laugh:

Tony

You should try and get him operating it Tony, and then get the photos :onthequiet:

Colin

Hopefully Southbridge will behave itself. Not sure about the operators though.

HMMM this could be interesting.  The Sunday morning after the England v Italy match in the World Cup (kicking off at 11.00pm!!) and I will have been at Biggin Hill during the day.  I may not be at operating capacity first thing :dontknow:  :P

Colin

Hmmm. I'll bring a D&A kit.

(Why can't I reply quoting your post?).

Did I say anything about drinking :drink_mini: all I said was that Saturday was going to be a very long day for me.  Think there was a problem with the site, which is why you couldn't reply with my comment :unsure:

Colin

Some travel information for those intending to travel by train, and intending to go via the Medway Valley line from Paddock Wood to Strood.  The line will be closed ALL WEEKEND, with replacement buses taking their places.

Colin

Archived