Arbroath Station

Aberbrothock

Hoping this is in the right place.........

Introducing my interpretation of Arbroath, (on the East coast of Scotland, 14 or so miles NE of Dundee, former fishing port, medium sized industrial centre, former Royal Burgh, famous for Arbroath Smokies - wood-smoked haddock, hung in pairs in a barrel, and quite delicious).

Northern terminus of the Dundee and Arbroath Railway, Coastal terminus of the former Arbroath and Forfar Railway, both eventually linked to form a joint railway station, and developed by an NBR built line to Montrose.

Still served by First Scotrail, East Coast Railways and Cross Country Trains, (formerly Virgin) and the Scotrail Sleeper service to London Euston.

Like most stations, Arbroath has lost its freight/goods service and yards and its loco shed but is still in presentable condition with semaphore signalling and 1911 built platform buildings, many of which are being developed by local interest groups.

My layout is set in the popular 1955/65 time frame, when steam was still common, but diesels were increasingly taking over.

My loft has sufficient space to take in the line from its southern approaches, through the passenger platforms with the goods and coal yards alongside, over the Dens Road level crossing and on to the old NBR North Yard on one side and the loco sheds on the other.

The tracks rise to St Vigeans Junction at which the Forfar and Montrose lines diverge.

Both ends of the layout curve towards storage sidings.

Layout building commenced in 1974 and after two house moves most of the work has taken place in our present house in Fife - I can see the Arbroath coastline from the loft window.......

Plain track in Peco Streamline with most points and crossings hand built on copper clad sleepering.

The template used for ordinary turnouts belonged to my father who use it in the 1930's to make metal-sleepered track for his outside third rail OO loft layout, (like father, like son!), and the sleeper spacing is not quite correct, but I'm not going to start re-making over 50 turnouts at this stage.......

I'll add a couple of photos to my next post.

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Very much stimulating! I know Arbroath station well - I used to work in Bruce House - the former factory building next to the level crossing in Wellgate, but now commute by train to Dundee.

Although you have set the layout in the 1955-65 time period, do you still operate the services to Forfar? A bit of modellers licence keeping the line open?

Very much stimulating! I know Arbroath station well - I used to work in Bruce House - the former factory building next to the level crossing in Wellgate, but now commute by train to Dundee.

Although you have set the layout in the 1955-65 time period, do you still operate the services to Forfar? A bit of modellers licence keeping the line open?

Hi John

Guilty as charged!

As modellers, we don't have to worry about the economics of unremunerative branch lines. We do our own thing......

Not only is the Forfar line still open, it still has double track, although in reality the line was mostly singled in the 1930's.

The other reason for keeping it double is that in my configuration, the Montrose/Aberdeen lines run into six storage roads and then curve round to join the "Forfar" lines coming in, forming the northern return loop of a dumbell. At least there was a junction at this end, whereas at the south end, the lines run through the gullet under the Princes St/Colvill Place bridge before encountering what I've called Ladyloan Junction again leading to 6 storage roads representing the Dundee end.

Although I lived in Dundee I did a lot of work in Arbroath during accountacy training in the late 'sixtes, so have fond memories of standing in the Giddings & Lewis Fraser factory offices looking down on the North Signal Cabin and the scissors crossover and on over the goods sidings to the North end of the passenger platforms.

I could tell many a tale of the industries and life in Arbroath at that time - sadly much has gone to be replaced by supermarkets and other developments.

If this thread proves interesting to others, perhaps I'll elaborate a bit more.

Regards

Ken 

Hi John

Guilty as charged!

As modellers, we don't have to worry about the economics of unremunerative branch lines. We do our own thing......

Not only is the Forfar line still open, it still has double track, although in reality the line was mostly singled in the 1930's.

The other reason for keeping it double is that in my configuration, the Montrose/Aberdeen lines run into six storage roads and then curve round to join the "Forfar" lines coming in, forming the northern return loop of a dumbell. At least there was a junction at this end, whereas at the south end, the lines run through the gullet under the Princes St/Colvill Place bridge before encountering what I've called Ladyloan Junction again leading to 6 storage roads representing the Dundee end.

Although I lived in Dundee I did a lot of work in Arbroath during accountacy training in the late 'sixtes, so have fond memories of standing in the Giddings & Lewis Fraser factory offices looking down on the North Signal Cabin and the scissors crossover and on over the goods sidings to the North end of the passenger platforms.

I could tell many a tale of the industries and life in Arbroath at that time - sadly much has gone to be replaced by supermarkets and other developments.

If this thread proves interesting to others, perhaps I'll elaborate a bit more.

Regards

Ken 

As the saying goes - "here's one I made earlier...."

It's a little diorama of a fictitious halt somewhere in Angus, but near Arbroath which I put together last year for a hobbies and talents exhibition in St Andrews.

It only took a couple of days to make, but was a nice diversion from the big project.

post-21954-0-46280000-1392899998_thumb.jpg

More photos of the layout to come soon.

Ken

• Like 7

It's a little diorama of a fictitious halt somewhere in Angus, but near Arbroath which I put together last year for a hobbies and talents exhibition in St Andrews.

It only took a couple of days to make, but was a nice diversion from the big project.

attachicon.gifDSCF1827.jpg

Ken

I've been browsing through my layout photos and thought these were worth posting....

Bachmann Class 40 (EE Type 4 to those who remember these things), heading north past the water tank/column and approaching the junction home signals - hope it's going to stop.......

post-21954-0-90711900-1392910453_thumb.jpg

I must admit to liking altering photos to B & W or sepia tone as it adds a certain je ne sais quoi to the result - what do others think?

This shot was taken on the line - I did have a track pass - looking towards the Guthrie Port bridge under the footbridge - must get a proper lattice variety! - and also showing the loco shed signal cabin protecting the loco yard entry and also the north yard points.

There was a loco shed SC long ago when the sheds were on the up side of the line where the bulk grain wagons are unaccountably parked, and I've resurrected the name to cover my subterfuge in having the loco yard the other way round to what was actually built in 1910/11.

Modeller's licence to the rescue.

post-21954-0-61461500-1392910500_thumb.jpg

Ken

• Like 10

I've been browsing through my layout photos and thought these were worth posting....

Bachmann Class 40 (EE Type 4 to those who remember these things), heading north past the water tank/column and approaching the junction home signals - hope it's going to stop.......

attachicon.gifCl.40 passing W tank.jpg

I must admit to liking altering photos to B & W or sepia tone as it adds a certain je ne sais quoi to the result - what do others think?

This shot was taken on the line - I did have a track pass - looking towards the Guthrie Port bridge under the footbridge - must get a proper lattice variety! - and also showing the loco shed signal cabin protecting the loco yard entry and also the north yard points.

There was a loco shed SC long ago when the sheds were on the up side of the line where the bulk grain wagons are unaccountably parked, and I've resurrected the name to cover my subterfuge in having the loco yard the other way round to what was actually built in 1910/11.

Modeller's licence to the rescue.

attachicon.gifLoco Yd & N Yd Entry sepia.jpg

Ken

As it looks as though this topic is going to be bumped in the next day or so, I'm attaching a couple more photos of the layout...... 

My interpretation of the South signal cabin - too many windows in the front elevation, but it'll do meantime.

post-21954-0-67775900-1393433745_thumb.jpg

Detail of the platform canopies with framing made from endless packs of Slaters Plastikard,(to whom I have no connection, other than appreciating their products.....). I'll maybe need to get etches made by York Modelmaking to overlay and line up these pesky holes!

Ken

post-21954-0-79093400-1393433844_thumb.jpg

• Like 9

These pictures look really good. Any chance of a track plan?

That might be possible - I'll try taking a photo - this might be easier than scanning as the plan is drawn out to A2 format........

I'll see what can be done tomorrow.

Thanks for the post.

Ken

post-21954-0-03775200-1393518406_thumb.jpg

That might be possible - I'll try taking a photo - this might be easier than scanning as the plan is drawn out to A2 format........

I'll see what can be done tomorrow.

Thanks for the post.

Ken

Hi JohnR

Here's a copy of the layout plan photographed off the loft wall where it currently resides.

Hopefully there is enough detail visible to satisfy any queries you may have, but if you need to know more, I'll try to help.

post-21954-0-03775200-1393518406_thumb.jpg

Ken

• Like 10

Awesome layout, I may have missed it but what size is it? 

Regards 

Scott 

Thanks Scott

The loft is about 18' x 14' , with the access ladder very neatly placed in the centre.

Some of the return loop sections lift up or lift out, mainly so that I can shut the loft door and stop creating a bottleneck in the hall below, which does not go down well with my dear wife, to whom I am greatly indebted for allowing me such a major indulgence.

Ken

attachicon.gifDSCF1827.jpg

Ken

my partner went to inverbrothock school ha ha 

like Arbroath station even in its current form love all those semaphores did wonder if it would be a good model 

This post is allied to the Dundee and Arbroath Railway in general, not Arbroath in particular - does anyone have photos or other info. on the signal cabin at Stannergate on the eastern approaches to Dundee?

The cabin controlled the former Stannergate station and the associated sidings, which seem to have been used for carriage storage as well as servicing the shipyards and industrial premises in the immediate vicinity.

I'm looking at some of my layout photos with a view to adding more to this thread soon.

Ken

does anyone have photos or other info. on the signal cabin at Stannergate on the eastern approaches to Dundee?

The cabin controlled the former Stannergate station and the associated sidings, which seem to have been used for carriage storage as well as servicing the shipyards and industrial premises in the immediate vicinity.

By coincidence the January issue of the Caledonian Railway Association's journal "The True Line" has an excellent shot of Stannergate East box by Nick Tindall (part of an article on Caley signalbox design with 27 photos). If you're not a CRA member you could always e-mail the editor - PM me if you want the address.

The Stannergate sidings were also used to refuge Down mineral trains waiting for paths or fresh crews on their way north, according to 1940s-1950s working timetables.

Edited by Graham R

By coincidence the January issue of the Caledonian Railway Association's journal "The True Line" has an excellent shot of Stannergate East box by Nick Tindall (part of an article on Caley signalbox design with 27 photos). If you're not a CRA member you could always e-mail the editor - PM me if you want the address.

The Stannergate sidings were also used to refuge Down mineral trains waiting for paths or fresh crews on their way north, according to 1940s-1950s working timetables.

Hi Graham R

There's no such thing as coincidence!

My query arose from a friend in town whose father worked at the 'box, along with most of the boxes in the immediate vicinity as he became a qualified relief signalman.

I'm already a member of the NBR Study Group, and in the interests of D & A equality, I should probably join "the other mob," as these groups can be so helpful with their archives of material, photos and other info.

I should be able to get in touch with the CR Soc. via their website.

Ken 

Here are three more pics of the layout taken 2 years ago - there has been progress since then!

My version of the Imperial Hotel necessarily cropped to fit the space available, but it captures the building's character. The owner of this hotel was the first to buy a ticket from the rebuilt station in 1911. The bar is now the West Port Bar but it should correctly be called the Imperial Bar for my era. The hotel itself has now been converted into flats.

post-21954-0-44796500-1393936774_thumb.jpg

A view south before the platform buildings and canopies were built.

post-21954-0-58568100-1393936800_thumb.jpg

A shot taken under the Keptie Street overbridge - that Std cl.4 has been sitting there gathering dust for more than 25 years............ surely someone should haul it off for scrapping?

post-21954-0-67522500-1393936819_thumb.jpg

(Must take some current photos.....)

Ken

• Like 6

[ Stannergate signalbox ...] My query arose from a friend in town whose father worked at the 'box, along with most of the boxes in the immediate vicinity as he became a qualified relief signalman.

Ken 

Hi Ken,

Here's the signalling diagram for Stannergate as it was in the 1960s, recorded by Forbes Alexander and made available by Robert Dey. As you probably know, until the 1920s Stannergate had a through yard with up and down access at both ends, and the passenger station had running loops off the main lines. The layout was considerably simplified after the West box closed and the signalling was rationalised in several stages over the years. The diagram shows its final form.

post-7032-0-29690000-1393966891_thumb.jpg

Please keep posting photos of your layout, which is very impressive. You've done a great job with the station building and the hotel -  hard enough to measure up, never mind to model.  I have fond memories of standing on the bars of the Wellgate crossing gates watching the blue DMUs, 24s, 40s and 47s in the 1970s, and very hazy memories of green DMUs and Ivatt 2MTs in the 1960s from the Keptie Street bridge. Your model catches it all very well.

cheers

Graham

Hi Ken,

Here's the signalling diagram for Stannergate as it was in the 1960s, recorded by Forbes Alexander and made available by Robert Dey. As you probably know, until the 1920s Stannergate had a through yard with up and down access at both ends, and the passenger station had running loops off the main lines. The layout was considerably simplified after the West box closed and the signalling was rationalised in several stages over the years. The diagram shows its final form.

attachicon.gifStannergate 1960s.jpg

Please keep posting photos of your layout, which is very impressive. You've done a great job with the station building and the hotel -  hard enough to measure up, never mind to model.  I have fond memories of standing on the bars of the Wellgate crossing gates watching the blue DMUs, 24s, 40s and 47s in the 1970s, and very hazy memories of green DMUs and Ivatt 2MTs in the 1960s from the Keptie Street bridge. Your model catches it all very well.

cheers

Graham

Hi Graham

Great to see the diagram for Stannergate East - I was looking through some booklets of photos of old Dundee this afternoon, and found a shot of the building of the new Ferry Road which shows the West box with a local passenger train hurrying past - coincidence again???

As to the layout buildings, I have copies of the architects' drawings for all the station buildings plus the goods offices and the new loco sheds. (From the old Scottish Records Office in the 'seventies).

I also have the drawings of the planned replacement loco shed which was to be built on the up side on the site of the original sheds, but presumably superseded by the much larger sheds actually built.  My interpretation is that the smaller sheds were built, but on the site chosen for the new shed!  There's also a coaling stage based on the one at Seafield on the Forth, near Edinburgh.   How's that for modeller's licence!  The design is a quite common style, seen at various locations in Scotland.

The Imperial Hotel was built from photos and a large scale town plan obtained when I was working with Arbroath Town Council - again, it's an interpretation, but the aim is to "catch" the right atmosphere. From comments received, I seem to have managed that.

Regards

Ken

• Like 1