Arbroath Station

Aberbrothock

It's a lovely layout you are building. I especially like the attention to rebuild it as accurate as possible. 

And maby the most important thing i haven copied your trackplan into my attic and i reshaped it towards my n scale and dimensions of the room. 

Its a really nice station to build. Maby you can make some overvie shots from a bit further away so we can see the big picture 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Aberbrothock said:

Thanks for your kind comments, Reindeer - I've never spoken to a reindeer before..............

Is English your second language - only joking!

I'll do some general view shots for you later,

Well my Name is Reinder. With 1 E but i have suffererd enough jokes about a Reindeer that i already have big Horns up my head haha

But i am not from the UK, I live across the sea in the lowlands. Just really fond of Scotland and your trackplan works really well here. And Probably just 1 of the few dutch people that build a Uk Themed layout

Edited by Reinder
  • Like 1

Thanks for your kind comments, Reindeer - I've never spoken to a reindeer before..............

Is English your second language - only joking!

I'll do some general view shots for you later,

Sorry for misreading your name - too impetuous by half!

Glad you like Scotland - there's a lot to like.

Especially for Reinder, but for general consumption as well - some pics around the layout yesterday.

Group 1:

A warts and all shot of one half of the layout - you can see why my wife is always nagging me to tidy up beneath the baseboards.

The loft access is on the LHS via an old but very good Slingsby ladder.

The central loop line needs landscaping!

DSCF7599.jpeg.6d29ad14d230f5612fc83c28817391b5.jpeg

Looking down on the main booking office and Keptie Street bridge.

DSCF7600.jpeg.3406856c434ff1a4b45711c3ee559585.jpeg

My version of the loco sheds with the former NBR North goods yard on the left - someone must have been cleaning out the ashpit - it looks too clean...

DSCF7605.jpeg.cc0d8ee09cb4cfb98e8d3d6c414f33d4.jpeg

A rural view of the Forfar loop line as it crosses Brothock Water.

DSCF7607.jpeg.a180b0e066f5d25b3a3ea1b077755c37.jpeg

• Like 15
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Group 2:

Queen Street and Victoria Street at their junction with Colvill Place which bridges the southbound main line.

DSCF7609.jpeg.e2eac4fd0221827727d49490bf1ed9b1.jpeg

A trespassing shot looking along the southbound platform, (platform 2 as was, now platform 1).

DSCF7610.jpeg.108c0259229db58d868841405786f2cb.jpeg

Newly "armed" bracket signal on the southbound line from Montrose with St Vigeans Junction signal box in the far distance down the hill.

DSCF7596.jpeg.cb71db1cc506a9e37ef74cc56c7d7e3c.jpeg

More than enough for just now - must get out into the sunshine, and the garden.............

• Like 12
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Thank you for the pictures. 

I especially like the second picture in the first group because i am working atm on that same spot. Lots of wiring and drilling atm. 

Enjoy the garden 

A - nother birthday took me to local model shop in Kirkcaldy to come away with a second Ivatt class 2 loco to match my other one acquired some years ago.

They now nicely reproduce the "Arbroath Twins," 46463 and 46464, which alternated serving goods traffic to Arbroath.

Some reasonably quick work with craft knife and methfix transfers renumbered the "donor" loco 46460, as 46464.

DSCF7628.jpeg.ff41e4ebaba76f7beaeec1d202882086.jpeg

DSCF7627.jpeg.2a2f1fefa3500b0b1b9507eb206c7d5a.jpeg

Also pictured is a nice BR standard unfitted livery brake van, bought at the same time.

Some weathering to do, but the "twins" will serve the layout very well.

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium

I take it that's Scoonie Hobbies?

It's nice it's still there, I see it often in passing but the last time I was in there was when it was still on the corner of Junction Rd. at the traffic lights!

On 25/07/2020 at 18:48, keefer said:

I take it that's Scoonie Hobbies?

It's nice it's still there, I see it often in passing but the last time I was in there was when it was still on the corner of Junction Rd. at the traffic lights!

A - nother birthday took me to local model shop in Kirkcaldy to come away with a second Ivatt class 2 loco to match my other one acquired some years ago.

They now nicely reproduce the "Arbroath Twins," 46463 and 46464, which alternated serving goods traffic to Arbroath.

Some reasonably quick work with craft knife and methfix transfers renumbered the "donor" loco 46460, as 46464.

Also pictured is a nice BR standard unfitted livery brake van, bought at the same time.

You're correct - it is Scoonie Hobbies which is pretty low on stock at the moment, but the banter with the friendly staff makes it very worthwhile to visit.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 21/07/2020 at 22:13, Aberbrothock said:

I think one of those locos is at Bridge of Dun being overhauled with a view to it running up at Aviemore, not been to have a look, but was surprised to hear the tale.

1 hour ago, tigerburnie said:

I think one of those locos is at Bridge of Dun being overhauled with a view to it running up at Aviemore, not been to have a look, but was surprised to hear the tale.

Correct -  46464 is going (back), to Aviemore where it ran for a while quite few years ago before somebody lit a fire without checking that was water in the boiler, which not surprisingly caused some damage, taking it out of service.  It was moved down to Bridge of Dun for general restoration, but lack of resources meant pretty slow progress. There is now and agreement with the Strathspey to take it back and complete the job.

Details on the Strathspey website.

• Informative/Useful 2

• 3 weeks later...

I was “inspired” by a pic of a (real) EE Type 4 at Arbroath the other day, and went for a few diesel shots on the line today.

4 diesels beside the old NBR North yard pictured over the “shed that never was,” with some of the rolling Angus hills and Arbroath mills in the background.

DSCF7689.jpeg.5f289bb352550e5c2bf99eedb0fda0c5.jpeg

The Type 2 has disappeared northwards and the fitted freight behind the Type 4 rattles and sways to a stop at the Up gantry - methinks the driver has overshot slightly……...

DSCF7690.jpeg.cba21bb0f7691a240fd1423c8694ee81.jpeg

Meanwhile the Type 2 splutters northwards along the “re-opened” Forfar line, (which neatly takes it to the North Storage Lines).

Tomorrow’s heavy rain clouds are massing above…..

DSCF7693.jpeg.d5d8461da8d675d67bfb387cc7d9ac27.jpeg

All in all, quite a fun running session.

Kind regards

Ken M

• Like 10

Thanks Les

All well here - about to go away for a couple of days with the caravan now that it's permitted again.........

I tend to go with natural, fairly grey granite chip ballast, except for the sidings and yards which are done in a pretty grotty earth covering.

I get annoyed when I see goods yards with immaculate stone ballast which the old companies would never have spent money on - particularly the NBR!

A lot of the ballast in this area is now more reddish stone than granite, as well as you say, stained with brake dust.

• 2 months later...

Don't know about others, but I'm finding it hard to get the mojo going re adding to the layout as we're in such a no-man's-land just now, but I did get  a supply of trees from far-off China the other day, and set them up to see the effect - quite good, I think.......My wife thinks they're all too much the same height, so a bit of adjustment required, then.  (Just following orders!)

DSCF7832.jpeg.7f47448b9039173fb517da87f61fcf53.jpeg

I've also made up a Parkside LMS brake van which I'll pose somewhere on the layout once it has been numbered.

• Like 8

7 hours ago, Aberbrothock said:

Don't know about others, but I'm finding it hard to get the mojo going re adding to the layout....

I agree, I've basically been observing lockdown since March bar Medical trips and a couple of drinks in a local.
Your latest photo's are showing everything's really starting to come together, well done.
My family had a funeral in Inverkeilor a couple of weeks ago, which obviously with me living in west Cornwall, it had it's limitations for me to attend as head of family, but that stonework on the Imperial Hotel etc., really caught my imagination as a reminder of the area.  Thank you.

• Friendly/supportive 1

The line played host to a brake van tour today.

I have quite a collection of various vans with origins varying from LMS, LNER and BR, so it seemed like a good idea to recreate the specials that ran on goods lines in the 50/60's, so my special ran into the Inverbrothock Goods Yard - pics follow. The stock was hauled by a venerable CR 0-6-0, and she of the shunting done by a much more modern 04 diesel.

(Two sets of pics to cope with the 10mb max file size).

DSCF7847.jpeg.f530d06fbf0fce4da9a3e2dc0eba9862.jpeg

DSCF7850.jpeg.df4b62cc23e31d441eb16765641fe4c9.jpeg

DSCF7854.jpeg.66edc7a2495745c47dbddb6ade41dc31.jpeg

• Like 10

22 hours ago, Aberbrothock said:

The line played host to a brake van tour today.

I have quite a collection of various vans with origins varying from LMS, LNER and BR, so it seemed like a good idea to recreate the specials that ran on goods lines in the 50/60's, so my special ran into the Inverbrothock Goods Yard - pics follow. The stock was hauled by a venerable CR 0-6-0, and she of the shunting done by a much more modern 04 diesel.

(Two sets of pics to cope with the 10mb max file size).

Nice idea to have a brake van tour!

With regard to image size restrictions, Faststone Photo Resizer is free and I find it easy to use.  Might be worth considering?  No connection, just a satisfied user.  Link: https://www.faststone.org/FSResizerDetail.htm

• 2 weeks later...