Arbroath Station

Aberbrothock

Took a "drone" trip over St Vigeans junction yesterday which shows the track layout from North and South.

It was a fascinating project to do and does excellent service, as long as you remember to throw the correct switches to get all the settings and polarity correct.......

DSCF7900.jpeg.8ad816186eccbcdc57304adffa3f2510.jpeg

DSCF7902.jpeg.3510dcb581bc538dc5ab1335cccf46a9.jpeg

A visit is due from the autoballasters to tidy up, by the looks of it.

Another absorbing job to do - just a bit like watching paint dry!

• Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Nice gardening there Ken. Some great railway shots too. 
Hope you all had a great Xmas, however restricted. We were very naughty and basically did what we normally do with our children!

I’m trying to add a photo so bear with me. This is my extension past St.Vigeans. Unfortunately since this was taken, we decided to move house and the extension bit was demolished. Then I had a TIA and plans changed, so I could have left it where it was! Anyway I’m OK now and we have decided to stay here a bit longer, so I’ll probably rebuild it. Treated myself to a Dapol 08 for Xmas. Very pleased with it. My reasoning, apart from rule 1 was that it’s on loan from Hurlford shed. Have to go now so all the best for New Year. Take care

Les

D2DFE68B-461E-4968-B921-5AA69B48B8E4.jpeg.c38acd91925c5eab9b375cad890ec2de.jpeg

• Like 1

Hi Les

Good to hear from you again, and that you're still making progress on the layout - and health-wise...........

Your junction looks great, especially with the single NBR line to Montrose.

Your 08 will need to be energetic to leap over the gaps in the rails, but the scene reminds me of early days in the late 'seventies when I laid my first tracks around the junction.

All the best to you and yours for 2021.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I've used the lockdown and rainy weather yesterday to replace a point on the southbound line from Arbroath station.

First photo shows the replacement point in situ with its predecessor leaning, temporarily, on the retaining wall.

Some of the sleepers used wood strip with office staples inserted to allow the rail to be soldered in place, but was becoming quite unreliable - it was made about 1969/70 (!), and was due to be replaced.

I'd forgotten that I'd already replaced some of the sleepers with copperclad strip some time in the intervening years......

DSCF7996.jpeg.93833c33c38f1891b0cfdb39b64b6a45.jpeg

Second pic shows my Heljan 05 testing the running of the newly installed replacement.

DSCF7997.jpeg.a408175ffacf7217bfbd265ff968b4a1.jpeg

In contrast to the dreadful weather outside, the sun regularly shines on my world of Arbroath..........

• Like 6

I've used the lockdown and rainy weather yesterday to replace a point on the southbound line from Arbroath station.

First photo shows the replacement point in situ with its predecessor leaning, temporarily, on the retaining wall.

Some of the sleepers used wood strip with office staples inserted to allow the rail to be soldered in place, but was becoming quite unreliable - it was made about 1969/70 (!), and was due to be replaced.

I'd forgotten that I'd already replaced some of the sleepers with copperclad strip some time in the intervening years......

DSCF7996.jpeg.93833c33c38f1891b0cfdb39b64b6a45.jpeg

Second pic shows my Heljan 05 testing the running of the newly installed replacement.

DSCF7997.jpeg.a408175ffacf7217bfbd265ff968b4a1.jpeg

In contrast to the dreadful weather outside, the sun regularly shines on my world of Arbroath..........

A NEW POST ADDED -

I've been cleaning the track all aver the layout - quite a chore! - but as part of the job, I removed the platform canopies to get easier access to the track, and took these shots in passing.

DSCF8025.jpeg.83771384008e3d1b32ca7c44e40961fb.jpeg

DSCF8024.jpeg.b06cb14c818805e05b750401ba1eedd3.jpeg

It's always a nice reminder of what lies almost unseen beneath the canopies.

• Like 5

• 1 month later...

Took some photos with my phone last night - the phone takes up much less space around the layout and you can get into some "tight corners."

IMG_0213.jpeg.b9e51913fd2753a58cbff4d213fa505e.jpeg

(The "real" thing for comparison).

50845953673_274526a546.jpg.7d27f926da8258f95e044f2ace7bc6e8.jpg

Peeking through across the island platform towards John Menzies bookstall.

IMG_0215.jpeg.14e13581779720ac7c7995469b4af9a3.jpeg

Arbroath North Box - looking North........

IMG_0220.jpeg.23dbc72ccf63701130b053bfcad589e4.jpeg

The Angus Bar. (I did have an A35 - but not in that colour!).

IMG_0222.jpeg.511b28dfbcf92b279a8ceb79a3e24e70.jpeg

A useful exercise, I think.

• Like 15
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3
  • Round of applause 1

I am quite gratified with the positive response to my musings and photos, but won't rest on any perceived laurels.

Much remains to be done/tidied up, and my wife already thinks I'm a bit obsessed, but I otherwise stay out of mischief.

• Like 1

Good evening gents.

I own what I presume used to be one of the sidings at the Arbroath Railway Station and Ian very interested to find out more if it’s history.  I came across a link to the posts above through various searches for old pictures of the station.    I would be very interested to chat to any of you that can enlighten me about the history of the station and especially the building I own which is now simply called the store.  It had been previously used by what used to be known as the black and white minstrels!  Until they had to drop the name.  As far as I can tell the building seems to have been rebuilt in 1960 and has been own d throughout by the theatrical group although it seems to have perhaps been given to various part time garage uses.   I would’ve happy to meet anyone that would’ve interested in viewing the building which is on 3 floors if interested.   If anyone would like to get in touch my number is 07446848467 

regards

jamie 

9788EB3D-D217-4960-A4A6-F35FD253F1E0.png

• Like 1

Interesting to hear from one of the local occupiers - your building features in low relief behind my model of the station.

I'll have a look at an old large scale map pf the area to see what description is noted.

The library beside Kirk Square used to have copies of the valuation rolls from past years which would show the occupiers' names which could be interesting, although quite a of of old records have moved up to the Angus Archive at Restenneth outside Forfar.

The B&W Minstrels were a great institution for many years and are sadly missed - but no longer PC.

• 2 years later...
  • RMweb Gold

So sorry to hear that Ken had passed away. This layout is just so delightful, and his buildings have totalled captured Arbroath. I hope there are plans for the layout to survive in some form. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

So sorry to hear of Ken’s passing. I’ve been communicating on here with him since I first came across his Arbroath layout and he very generously sent me photos and plans of Arbroath shed which I was just starting to build in O gauge.

Like JohnR I hope something can be done to preserve his legacy.

Condolences to all his family and friends.

with great sadness Les