Arbroath Station

Aberbrothock

Agreed, and that signal is very, very good.

The only caution I would make on the telegraph pole's new location,

is ensure the line of (imaginary) wires don't go through the signal post(s) etc.,  - Just one of my niggles.

My thoughts exactly - if you have the posts, check out the run of the wires - I could of course change the camera angle, which might avoid the problem!

I have to make up a couple of tall posts at the North 'box to ensure that their "wires" don't get entangled with the down home gantry.

Oh, what fun.........

Signal post looking great Ken, as do the flats. Will you be building the house/houses that appear in front of the flats in the original photo? Or is life too short, my maxim! Hope you're still OK health wise.

Les

Hi Les

Signal post almost ready to be planted properly, flats have quite a character, and the houses beside will be done in low relief as that's all there's room for.

Health not bad and a fitness class stint for an hour tomorrow am should help to blow away the cobwebs.

Went up into the loft this morning and took the pics below which show the current state of things:

1. The new NBR gantry and South box.

post-21954-0-04933800-1492003500_thumb.jpg

2. Just along the line the track goes under quite a high road bridge, giving the reason for the sky arms on the signals, and the street, (Colvill Place), ends nicely with the frontage of St Thomas's church.  It is represented by a photo mounted on card and if you're careful with the angle, a reasonably realistic shot can be taken.

I will be adding the gable ends of the houses on either side to add to the backscene, sometime soon...........

post-21954-0-81510600-1492003528_thumb.jpg

3. My favourite location is the North box and footbridge, and the light was quite good this morning to get this shot - the internal details in the 'box show up quite well, but I should probably add facial features to the signalman as he looks very colourless at the moment - probably been standing in the one place for too long.

post-21954-0-64232500-1492003553_thumb.jpg

I've done an updated "TO DO" list to see how much work is still outstanding on the layout, and was relieved to find that the list is actually getting shorter - progress by any other name.

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

Finally after a break for Easter, got started on the TO DO list, and tidied the wall at the left hand side of the South 'box, which took a bit of time, but is looking much better without the gaping space hacked out to make space for the wider 'box.

I chanced a colour shot which isn't bad.

post-21954-0-97681600-1493136898_thumb.jpg

Now what's next on the list?????

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

If you'll pardon the accent on infernal combustion, I've customised a Base Toys lemonade lorry to serve the Robb Brothers depot.

New crimson livery and names/description plus lemonade crates delivered and hacked about before loading on to the vehicle.

Now posed at the depot..........

post-21954-0-27552700-1497297438_thumb.jpg

post-21954-0-94051700-1497297465_thumb.jpg

Must get back to Railway modelling!

I've just stumbled onto this tonight, what an excellent example of a craftsman at work, I stay just up the way.

32104771240_5008fbcec9_b.jpgThis was our station by R MAURINS, on Flickr

Good to hear from you - there are quite few of us railway "nuts" around the area.

Looking at the photo of Inverkeilor, I can't understand why they've taken out the crossing on the crossover points - there are not nearly enough crossings around to cope with the inevitable needs for "wrong-line running" which occur quite regularly - maybe it'll be replaced?

Complete novice at this, but just beginning the Great Central station I often visited as a youngster and also part of the main line at the rear of my old family home in Leicestershire. Very early days, just sorting out the base and raised trackbed as the station was on a viaduct. I'm a retired engineer, so I do have some skills, but we'll find out if they transfer to railway building. I did build a V2 from a kit some 20 years or more ago including a scratch built chassis, still have it, but never got round to painting it, it does run however. I've been to the shop in Invergowrie a couple of times, I built a small layout for the me and the grandkids to play with, but it's not very satisfying, so I've decided to go for the idea I've had on and off for the last 30 years or so.

• 2 weeks later...

i haven't been idle over the last few weeks but have been doing, "something completely different", helping two local Primary 7 boys to make model of their school, (Kingsbarns Primary), to 1/25 scale.

It was a good exercise for them to measure the building, make scale drawings, cut out the ground area, walls, roof, etc......

Today the finished article was shown to the other pupils and parents and staff, who reckoned the boys (and me), had done a great job.

The pics below show the structure, and now I'll be able to get back to the "main" project, ie, the railway, but it was a great diversion.

post-21954-0-16505100-1498581912_thumb.jpg

post-21954-0-42031600-1498581939_thumb.jpg

ttfn

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Added another low relief house end on Dishlandtown Street to "frame" St Thomas's chapel.

post-21954-0-03205100-1499716084_thumb.jpg

Farther along the street are the old Robb Bros. lemonade buildings.

post-21954-0-29998900-1499716153_thumb.jpg

Getting back to the main street is this congested looking townscape which looks nicely busy and actually has a bit of railway content with the upper part of the Std. class 4 peeping out of the gloom of the cutting.

post-21954-0-09835300-1499716187_thumb.jpg

Once the buildings have been completed, they'll all need to be properly grounded and all the boundary fences and walls completed - and a bit of vegetation in the cutting sides wouldn't go amiss either...........

• Like 7

You will also need a few hundred sea gulls too lol.

I have some already, but they have to be painted and perched in suitable places - the factory building behind the North signal box already has evidence of their visits.................

The next part of the backscene to be done is a pair of quite attractive stone-built terraced houses which have some interesting dormer windows...

Drawings done last night to be compared, but not too closely (!) with the photos of the originals in Arbroath.

Should keep me out of mischief for a couple of weeks.

post-21954-0-67331900-1500025688_thumb.jpg

post-21954-0-83615900-1500025711_thumb.jpg

Plenty of variety in Dishlandtown Street then!

Plenty of variety in Dishlandtown Street then!

Hi Ken , that should be a nice little project! Keep you busy. Where did that street name originate? Do you know?

Haven't done anything on my shed for months. Must get going again.

Keep well

Les

The area where the street was built was Dishland Hill, and the area where folk lived presumably became Dishlandtown - there was also a pottery thereabouts known as Dishland.

I'll try my Arbroath source for any more info.

K. 

The word has got around, and the block of flats in Dishlandtown Street now has a number of seagulls populating the rooftops - sitting ones have arrived already, and some flying ones should come too, once I've worked out how to mount them realistically..............

post-21954-0-77557600-1500668903_thumb.jpg

post-21954-0-97783600-1500668926_thumb.jpg

Hopefully it can be seen that there are some herring gulls and also some lesser black backs to give a bit of variety.

Maybe some guano should be added to the scene? 

• Like 3