Arbroath Station

Aberbrothock

Spent a bit of time on Sunday afternoon dodging showers and retracing the erstwhile Arbroath & Forfar railway, plus the old Caley main line from Perth to Arbroath, stopping off at Arbroath to take some details photos of the Dens Road footbridge, the Brothock valley and the former Craig's China shop at the West Port.

A successful afternoon and very illuminating, seeing how much nature has taken over the area around the Brothock valley - in the 'seventies, it was quite open and easy to photo the NBR line to Montrose and the remains of the Arbroath to Forfar line towards St Vigeans - now the Forfar line is a country walk and the railway line to Montrose is virtually invisible behind impenetrable bushes, while forty foot high trees now grow on the site of the loco shed.....

post-21954-0-18197000-1407959144_thumb.jpg

The footbridge has recently been repaired with new decking, so that's OK then!

One of the next projects is to reproduce this - just a matter of drawing out the lattice and cutting/glueing together from microstrip - easy-peasy - I'll keep you posted. 

post-21954-0-83121700-1407959173_thumb.jpg

A shot of a southbound train threading its way through the bushes and over the Brothock Water.

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

Following the site visit a few weeks ago, I've been working on the Dens Road footbridge - photos of progress below...

The bridge links the end of Ogilvy Place to Dens Road, and used to have access from the "top" side down to the loco yard - all that can be seen now is the patch in the stone wall where the stairway led down to the rear of the shed yard - quite unrecognisable now due to the advance of Nature in all its fullness, with trees everywhere!

post-21954-0-33255000-1409745259_thumb.jpg

First parts cut and assembled - compare the styles of lattice with the Scottish diagonal bracing and the lower one showing the more square style used down South.

post-21954-0-65898200-1409745283_thumb.jpg

More bracing added.

post-21954-0-94553900-1409745299_thumb.jpg

Comparison with the "real thing".......

post-21954-0-28963000-1409745322_thumb.jpg

Trial fitting on site - some adjustment to do, details to fit, and finally painting and weathering to finish - a great improvement on the old Airfix version.

• Like 4

Superb piece of modelling. I thought I was the only one daft enough to try scratch building a footbridge in styrene but you've proved me wrong.

Wonderful work, and can't wait to see it painted up.

Al.

Thanks Al

I did cheat a bit in that the staircase is pure, (adapted), York Modelmakers laser cut parts, but the span is Slaters Microstrip.

My daughter pointed out that the stone-embossed plastikard for the pier was bought in Matlock some twenty years ago, so it proves that if you keep something long enough you will eventually use it!

There are some etched kits about, but if you need a bespoke structure, then scratchbuilding is the only option.

So now it's back to the workbench......

Ken

Herewith another couple of pics with basic painting and weathering done, and some minor hacking about of the approach walls to allow for installation of the footbridge.

Lots of detailing to be done, but I'm quite happy with the progress so far.

post-21954-0-92834900-1409865660_thumb.jpg

Peeking through past the little Engine Sheds 'Box.

post-21954-0-81696700-1409865680_thumb.jpg

Down at track level with the stone pier just about visible, and some weathering on the bridge span.

• Like 6

Yesterday I chanced upon a photo of either 46464 or 46463 taking water at the column formerly located at the south end of platform two, (the Up Main), and decided to make a column from scratch as the Mike's Models kits no longer appear to be in production.

The NBR columns were quite individual and a nice little challenge, and the pic below shows progress made today.

The new column is posed alongside one of the Mike's Models - the difference in height is due to the MM version being for floor mounting while the new one will sit on the platform.

post-21954-0-26993000-1410210235_thumb.jpg

The main shaft is from a recycled plastic pencil, while the remainder is from plastikard.

• Like 1

Water column now sufficiently advanced to be placed on the platform.

Some shots in situ and one in the garden after priming in "photographic grey".

post-21954-0-69798200-1410362519_thumb.jpg

post-21954-0-88106200-1410362561_thumb.jpg

post-21954-0-64966000-1410362596_thumb.jpg

Finally, one in black and white, which comes out quite nicely - just needs some escaping steam drifting across the scene.....

post-21954-0-61848700-1410362616_thumb.jpg

(The 55mph speed sign comes out well too).

• Like 7

• 1 month later...

I'm aware that I've not been online recently, but a short holiday and an unforeseen spell in hospital got in the way of "railway works," but I've made up a little kit from Langley of a horse drawn coal cart, at least one of which was still in use around Arbroath until the late 'sixties / early 'seventies, so it's quite appropriate.

Unfortunately I can't remember which company used horse haulage, but enquiries at the library in Arbroath may come up with an answer.................

Anyway here's the photo!  ( I don't have a name for the horse yet.....)

post-21954-0-74460100-1413909867_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Spent a bit of time on Sunday afternoon dodging showers and retracing the erstwhile Arbroath & Forfar railway, plus the old Caley main line from Perth to Arbroath, stopping off at Arbroath to take some details photos of the Dens Road footbridge, the Brothock valley and the former Craig's China shop at the West Port.

A successful afternoon and very illuminating, seeing how much nature has taken over the area around the Brothock valley - in the 'seventies, it was quite open and easy to photo the NBR line to Montrose and the remains of the Arbroath to Forfar line towards St Vigeans - now the Forfar line is a country walk and the railway line to Montrose is virtually invisible behind impenetrable bushes, while forty foot high trees now grow on the site of the loco shed.....

attachicon.gifDens Road footbridge.jpg

The footbridge has recently been repaired with new decking, so that's OK then!

One of the next projects is to reproduce this - just a matter of drawing out the lattice and cutting/glueing together from microstrip - easy-peasy - I'll keep you posted. 

attachicon.gifUp train at Brothock crossing.jpg

A shot of a southbound train threading its way through the bushes and over the Brothock Water.

just of camera to the right of your first pic there appears to be a disused colour light signal post hard against the fence in the trees any idea  what  line was this for ? its to the left of the siding just where the temporary buffer stop is situaited 

just of camera to the right of your first pic there appears to be a disused colour light signal post hard against the fence in the trees any idea  what  line was this for ? its to the left of the siding just where the temporary buffer stop is situaited 

There used to be an illuminated sign covering the exit from the old North yard, and there also a telephone near to the bottom of the post.

The instruction read, " STOP and telephone for instructions."

I have a couple of black and white photos of the post and its display, (taken in 1973), and will try scanning them tomorrow and posting them here.

Two photos of the signal in question.

post-21954-0-55637800-1413970512.jpeg

Looks as though the post had recently been painted - no doubt it was just about to be taken out of use!

post-21954-0-50538000-1413970523.jpeg

A view from the hillside just past the loco yard area with the signal post in the rear centre of the shot.

The factory in the background was, I remember, home to Brothock Castings.

Hope these shots are informative.

• Like 1

Further to the coal cart and horse post on 21 October, I now have it on excellent authority that the horse's name was China, and the coalman's name was Tom Robb.

Apparently the horse knew the delivery round so well that he knew where each customer lived, and stopped at each house ready for the delivery to be made - a little bit of horse sense, obviously!

Current build project is a replacement for the Metcalfe loco shed building.

I'm using a couple of the lcut kits as the basis, but customising the construction to closely resemble the projected NBR designed shed that was to be built on the site of the previous small shed on the up side of the line at the high road bridge.

This shed was never actually built, but the size of it fits the site I have available on the down side of the line where the larger three road shed was built.

Photos of progress to follow in a day or two.

• Like 1

Two photos of the signal in question.

attachicon.gifimg018.jpeg

Looks as though the post had recently been painted - no doubt it was just about to be taken out of use!

attachicon.gifimg017.jpeg

A view from the hillside just past the loco yard area with the signal post in the rear centre of the shot.

The factory in the background was, I remember, home to Brothock Castings.

Hope these shots are informative.

thanks mate very interesting pics did wonder if it was something to do with the long siding will have a closer look when we are up for hogmanay 

• 2 weeks later...

On 27 October, I did say that I was working on a replacement loco shed - lcut kit, (adapted), of course,(!) in exchange for the Metcalfe - and here's a shot of progress so far.

post-21954-0-10843300-1415307083_thumb.jpg

The ends have been altered to include the reinforced lintel and what is called on the drawing, a "saving" arch of bricks above, which no doubt would spread the load of the brickwork above the door.

I've begun the pleasant, though laborious task of colouring the bricks with a mixture of pastel pencil colours, which should give a presentable representation of red/brown bricks - we'll see if more weathering is necessary......

The roof will have skylights and smoke chimneys/vents rather than the louvres along the ridge that the original kit offers, and will better represent the original NBR drawing.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Ken, only just caught up but really enjoyed your layout. I was brought up in Dundee in the early 50's so visited Arbroath and surrounding areas many times. I have just started on an O gauge version of the old Arbroath shed opposite Dens Road, but the only info I have is in the LMS Engine shed book 5, Caledonion Railway, which has 2 pictures and a track plan! With your obvious knowledge of Arbroath , do you or any of your other contributors have any other material or can point me in the right direction?

Regards Les

Hi Les

Good to hear your story and plans.

The building was very attractive and some of the brickwork quite ornate - maybe that's why I've opted for the "shed that never was."

I bought negative copy drawings from the old Scottish Record Office many years ago, and they adorn the roof above the shed site on the layout, and I'm attaching photos taken of those - probably breaching copyright in the process............

I hope they're helpful.

Ken M / Aberbrothock

post-21954-0-86867300-1416582505_thumb.jpg

General shed plan/elevation, (RHS).

post-21954-0-17376000-1416582735_thumb.jpg

General shed plan/elevation, (LHS).

post-21954-0-86383500-1416582554_thumb.jpg

Detail of gable - remember it's a negative, so all the dark bricks are cream!

Thanks so much Ken. Looks far more intricate than my pictures!! I was going to use some Townstreet windows but I might have to look elsewhere! I also thought that the roof was more Northlight pattern ie.differing pitches? Anyway, once I get the structure assembled, I'll post some pictures.

Regards Les and thanks again

One of the great things about Arbroath railway station is that it didn't change all that much for many years, and can just about cope with some "modern image," intruders.

This HST was actually won by my son in a local prize draw, but looks quite at home waiting for custom at platform 2, (now platform 1).

It also shows some of the platform canopy girderwork which took quite a long time to manufacture!

post-21954-0-93636900-1417259511_thumb.jpg

Hope this doesn't offend those caught in the 1955/65 timewarp..........

• Like 9

• 1 month later...

Hi Ken, any more progress with your engine shed? Mine is progressing exceedingly slow, although I have managed to scribe the front wall and the entrance with bricks! Only windows and roof to do now, ha,ha.

Do you know from your plans if there were any 'internal' pits? Do you know what the 'two' long sidings in front of the shed would have been used for?

Cheers Les

Hi Ken, any more progress with your engine shed? Mine is progressing exceedingly slow, although I have managed to scribe the front wall and the entrance with bricks! Only windows and roof to do now, ha,ha.

Do you know from your plans if there were any 'internal' pits? Do you know what the 'two' long sidings in front of the shed would have been used for?

Cheers Les

Hi Les

The shed is coming on apace, but what with Christmas/New Year and some health issues, I've been a bit pre-occupied.

However, the external walls are fully coloured, internal walls fitted and lined with brickpaper, sandwiching the laser cut windows in between, resulting in nice thick walls.

I've been adding rows of slate paper to the roof to give it a bit of relief, and am fitting the skylights to one side at the moment.

I've also fitted the smoke stacks to one side, and will photo the result when the first side of the roof has been fitted.

I haven't yet made the little tops for the smoke stacks, another fiddly job.........

As to the real shed, each of the roads had inspection pits inside, and the sidings seem from photos to have been used mainly for storage of vans, possibly for seasonal traffic like seed potatoes, but I'll check with some of the Arbroath lads I know to see what their memories are.

Once the Forfar line had closed, the shed was pretty underused, and had a few Scottish Directors stored in it pending their despatch to the breakers.

Hopefully helpful.

Kind regards

Ken

• 2 weeks later...

It's a beautiful day today, (with virtually no snow in St Andrews, despite what the BBC are implying about Scotland being "totalement couvert de neige"), and I took the opportunity to pose the loco shed outside to catch the fine winter sunlight.

It's still not complete, but once the downpipes are added and rooflets on the smoke stacks, and end doors, are added it'll be nearly there, and I can start to fit it on to the layout...........

post-21954-0-78853400-1422629413_thumb.jpg

post-21954-0-11760700-1422629431_thumb.jpg

Progress at last!

• Like 2