Thanks Dave! I think I've managed to get a 'bare minimum' I am happy with, the proper Caley livery is a bit fiddly for me to try applying to the whole fleet.*

I was having a look at the ex-GWR ROD boiler compared to the LNER version, looks like it needs a bit of modification although not too much really. They are very nice runners.

*I think I'm going to end up painting my 812 wheels and frames black when they arrive, although I realise this will likely get me put on the list.

Is that the Caley Coaches kit for an 812, or the Bachmann one that will be released soon?

• RMweb Gold

2 Bachmann ones because I got very excited. I was toying with the idea of instead getting black ones and repainting/lining them myself instead of painting out the maroon bits, but for the effort and cost of the transfers it ends up quite similar.

• Like 1

2 Bachmann ones because I got very excited. I was toying with the idea of instead getting black ones and repainting/lining them myself instead of painting out the maroon bits, but for the effort and cost of the transfers it ends up quite similar.

I suppose you aren't too freaked out by the price tag... I was thinking about converting a Bachmann Donald or Douglas, or a 4F (like Awdry did), but I can't even imagine buying £400 worth of locomotives. I hope that they are sufficient for what you want to do with them!

• RMweb Gold

Yeah I'll just eat beans on toast for a couple of months to pay for them.

Best conversion candidate I've seen so far is the Hornby Drummond 700 class as done by Ben Alder on this forum, this is what I was originally going to do, but the appeal of just buying a ready made, ready lined version was too strong.

*I think I'm going to end up painting my 812 wheels and frames black when they arrive, although I realise this will likely get me put on the list.

I've already alerted the mob who are going to throw bricks through your window when the time is appropriate 

Hi.  I really like the Garratt & the 2-8-4T. You have convinced me to get on with my own Garratt but I want to fit it with a Giesl Ejector, where do you get yours from? or are they DIY?   Thanks.    Roger

RT models do a cast Giesel chimney.

Gordon A

• RMweb Gold

Hi.  I really like the Garratt & the 2-8-4T. You have convinced me to get on with my own Garratt but I want to fit it with a Giesl Ejector, where do you get yours from? or are they DIY?   Thanks.    Roger

RT models do a cast Giesel chimney.

Gordon A

That's the one! RT Models is closed this month but should be open again in Feb.

I've already alerted the mob who are going to throw bricks through your window when the time is appropriate 

As long as the bricks are fully lined that's ok.

...While I was in the mood I also lined and lettered (one side) of the ROD tender for the final rebuilt 2-8-0 'Powerful' which sports the Giesl ejector.

Forgot to comment on this at the time (everything that could go wrong with our elders did, in neat synchrony, major panic sequence of hospital admissions) but your Crewe reboilered ROD 'Powerful' would look so much more spiffy if you closed up the loco to tender distance using the neat adjustable drawbar Bachmann provide, so that the fall plate rests on the cab floor. The overhang of the cab roof over the tender front will look well too.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Well since I nearly burned my eyes out of their sockets bingeing on Red Dead Redemption II, a break was in order and it was time to do some modelling!

A mate of mine helped me out at the end of last year so as a thank you present I made this house for their bolt-action wargaming.

post-898-0-09693600-1548028632_thumb.jpg

It's a laser cut kit from ebay in 1/56th scale. The rubble is made by the old method of cutting up a sponge, painting it black, soaking it with glue, then pouring on some gravel and ramming in some bits of wood from the sprue (I spray painted the whole building while it was still in the sprue).

The spattered dirt was made by spraying with dullcote lacquer, then while it was wet, blowing a small amount of weathering powder on, letting that dry, then lacquering over the top.

I'm working on a 1/72 Airfix bombed out house as another gift but it's not complete yet.

Also got the impetus to get back into lining, I've now finished lining out the other side of the Garratt and all of the ROD 2-8-0s are lettered and lined.

post-898-0-30732700-1548028933_thumb.jpeg

I've also started fixing the bodies permanently to the running plates using 2 part epoxy.

post-898-0-39237000-1548028966_thumb.jpeg

That's after adding a bit of styrene to the frames area to create some areas of shadow and give the impression of motion gear where there was previously a big flat plate.

post-898-0-49399400-1548029068_thumb.jpg

Last but not least, venturing out of the cupboard was the long-stalled 3D printed ex-FR 'Larger Seagull', the NWR's own No.102 Edward Faragher.

Stalled because the ruddy wheels STILL aren't quartered properly meaning slow speed running on RC is impossible. Need to sort that out BUT what I DID do was finish lining out both sides and tidied up some of the existing lining, before adding the N W R to the tender. So glad that I did this at last!

What also happened was that I once again snapped the bufferbeam while attempting to drill into it, resulting in me cutting the whole thing off and trying again with me old mate styrene strip.

post-898-0-45227100-1548029292_thumb.jpg

post-898-0-71781200-1548029314_thumb.jpeg

Cheers for now!

• Like 14

• RMweb Gold

Bolt Action is fun.  If you have the inclination, you should give it a spin.   If you can find time to build an army among filling Tidmouth shed.

It looks fun! He sent me this pic :)

post-898-0-79430600-1548059939_thumb.jpg

The K2 is looking good. The blue livery really suits it. It has been decided that you need more Victorian designs on the NWR!  :)

Thanks Mikkel! I do so love the blue as you know. Maybe you are right about the need for more older types, the early days are somewhat neglected by me....

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

More COBBLIN' afoot over the weekend (apart from testing the Garratt on the helix which I was rather pleased with)

post-898-0-78584900-1548678100_thumb.jpg

The nice RMWebbers helped me out a while ago with some questions on Aluminium production and traffic on this thread.

I've wanted to model some wagons for this, to either have in mixed goods trains for pick up and drop off, or fixed rakes.

The design of my Alumina wagons is based on the NE hoppers built for the Burntisland traffic (converted from wooden coal hoppers).

In my universe, bauxite is brought to the processing plant in Tidmouth either by sea or train from the mainland, and these Alumina Wagons run Tidmouth-Peel Godred.

This thread was also very useful:

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/37310-lner-alumina-wagon/

I started with the Slater's kit and built the 'box', opting not to use the NE end stanchions but instead construct some longer ones out of L-shaped styrene strip, then using flat strip to simulate planks and give the 'hood' shape.

post-898-0-14818500-1548678166_thumb.jpeg

Then started assembling the hood from bits cut to measurement.

post-898-0-27758900-1548678324_thumb.jpg

The NE ones had walkways to access the hatches up top. Again, styrene strip supported by small slices of L section. I'm planning to use tender water filler covers for the hatches.

post-898-0-66620100-1548678352_thumb.jpg

Pin point bearings fitted to the axleboxes and here's the body after a spray. I've added extra handrails to the ends and top to enable people to get up there.

post-898-0-71230200-1548683422_thumb.jpg

Edited by Corbs
  • Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

More COBBLIN' afoot over the weekend (apart from testing the Garratt on the helix which I was rather pleased with)

attachicon.gifIMG_0921.JPG

The nice RMWebbers helped me out a while ago with some questions on Aluminium production and traffic on this thread.

I've wanted to model some wagons for this, to either have in mixed goods trains for pick up and drop off, or fixed rakes.

The design of my Alumina wagons is based on the NE hoppers built for the Burntisland traffic (converted from wooden coal hoppers).

In my universe, bauxite is brought to the processing plant in Tidmouth either by sea or train from the mainland, and these Alumina Wagons run Tidmouth-Peel Godred.

I started with the Slater's kit and built the 'box', opting not to use the NE end stanchions but instead construct some longer ones out of L-shaped styrene strip, then using flat strip to simulate planks and give the 'hood' shape.

attachicon.giffullsizeoutput_315d.jpeg

attachicon.gifIMG_0948.JPG

The NE ones had walkways to access the hatches up top. Again, styrene strip supported by small slices of L section. I'm planning to use tender water filler covers for the hatches.

attachicon.gifIMG_0951.JPG

Pin point bearings fitted to the axleboxes and here's the body after a spray. I've added extra handrails to the ends and top to enable people to get up there.

attachicon.gifIMG_0973.JPG

The diagram for these has been published in the Tatlow LNER books and also somewhere on RMWeb!

attachicon.gifIMG_0921.JPG

attachicon.giffullsizeoutput_315d.jpeg

attachicon.gifIMG_0948.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_0951.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_0973.JPG

Very Nice!! Looking forward to see the completed wagons.

The Garrett is a lovely piece of kit. Looks right from every angle.

Chris.

• RMweb Gold

Thank you Chris and everyone for the support and encouragement  :)

Here's the first Alumina wagon approaching completion. Transfers are Fox ones from various sets. The NE ones were 15T, mine are 16T as A: they are a bit taller, and B: I didn't have any 15T transfers.

post-898-0-54010200-1548721732_thumb.jpeg

Loco 301 has also undergone a fair bit of work. Previously this side was unlined with only 'N W' lettering, I wasn't fond of this style and only did it because lining is hard. While taking the white letters off, the paint chipped, I tried to quickly fix it and ended up slightly worse off...

post-898-0-17967700-1548721869_thumb.jpeg

Anyway, after lots of sanding, masking, painting and polishing, it's more or less acceptable again. I've even fixed the wonky cab roof and glue 'n glazed the front cab windows!

post-898-0-03789900-1548722037_thumb.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold

Oh yes, and the rest! Possibly representing the NWR's entire wagon fleet may be a tad ambitious but I hope to have a decent collection eventually ;)

2 more Alumina wagon conversions from Slaters kits are under way.

Also on the bench are 3 Chaldron Waggons from Smallbrook Studio. These will be the property of the TK&F, lead hoppers for the Toryreck-Knapford run. They are the precursors to the large card hopper I built a while back.

IMG_1075.JPG.2710c52df5cf74b923b643b776d5b8fe.JPG

Walkways being added to the roofs here.

IMG_1078.JPG.080d871fb2e4cf5912e5e2bb3e32e6c6.JPG

Elsewhere, the mighty 2-8-4T No.700 'Erin' is glued and in blue livery. Still some sanding, filling and polishing to do but overall coming together. The biggest task is to attach the rear bogie properly and build some frame extensions to cover up that gap under the bunker.

IMG_1083.JPG.92c6d3e3de20d88da9d7246cf93e528f.JPG

• Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

Wow! The wagons and ROD tank look great!

I was planning to make a tank engine from a static N class model, but I was wondering if you think it would be possible to fit a working chassis and motor inside, or should I just use a Bachmann one?

• Like 1