• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, LNWR18901910 said:

Very well done on your loc 'n' stock! When will James and Percy come along?

Thank you kind sir! I'd not noticed that Perseus/Percy wasn't in the picture, he must have been on charge at the time. Some people did ask me 'where's James?' too, all I can say is 'one day...' ;)

• RMweb Gold

Thank you! That's right, I had read that Kitson offered the 2-8-2Ts to the Richmond Vale Railway after their experience building the GCR 8A (LNER Q4) locos.... 

q4.gif

https://www.lner.info/locos/Q/q4.php

Hence the family resemblance to the Q4s. What's then interesting is that some Q4s were rebuilt during WW2 by Thompson into Q1 0-8-0Ts

q1_2.gif

https://www.lner.info/locos/Q/q1thompson.php

So, the 2-8-4T on the NWR is kind of a hybrid of the two designs, but what I've tried to do is allow the NWR 'shops' to do the minimum amount of work required as it's a 'one off' - with the Q1, Thompson had to shorten the boiler, move the valve gear from one axle to another, lots of stuff. With 'Erin' hopefully it's just a case of frame extensions at the back, adding a bogie, then tanks, bunker and cab. This is supposed to have taken place some 20 years before Thompson's conversions so it makes sense that they resemble the RVR ones more.
I went for a 2-8-4T over a 2-8-2T because the idea is that there is extra water capacity in the bunker - the GCR 8K/LNER 04/ROD 2-8-0s had larger diameter boilers than the Q4s, which means thinner tanks in the space available.

Probably WAY more information than you needed/wanted, but I didn't have time to write a short post, so I wrote a long one...

• Like 4

33 minutes ago, Corbs said:

I knocked this concept image up this morning, it's not 100% but it gives the impression I'm going for.

A filthy No.700 

NWR-7F-tank-6d.jpg.9b69fd583968d96c511f37d55edf0ea9.jpg

Hi Corbs,

A most plausible and convincing mock up. I have to say the stepped up part of the tank at the front is of better proportion than that of one of the conversions that you have done previously that seemed a bit low.

I've been having great fun in the Merchant Navy Adhesion thread thanks to you also, it would seem that the term "myth and legend" is not altogether approved of !!!

Enjoy,

Gibbo.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
On 08/04/2019 at 18:10, Corbs said:

700th post in this thread, woohoo!

Here's a cracking shot by AySea of how the stand looked at the Nailsea MRC show at the weekend. I was really pleased with how it came out, if I do another show it would be a good idea to have more of a demonstration track going around, the RC 009 was a last minute addition and I was happy we went with it as it added a layer of interest, even if it was shuttling back and forth.

sudrian-histories-01a.jpg.7e3b2970a9d7125a405403cd732f524b.jpg

Very professional 

• Thanks 1

On 10/04/2019 at 09:04, Corbs said:

I knocked this concept image up this morning, it's not 100% but it gives the impression I'm going for.

Your big tank, "a filthy No.700 " with its big slab sides, reminds me of the London, Tilbury and Southend Railway's big 4-6-4 tanks. My favourite Baltic tank types, just for their square block massiveness. Deemed too big by the Great Eastern to go into their London Terminus of Fenchurch Street. They were doomed to roam the rails of the later LMS looking for suitable employment. A smaller concern like your alternative NWR could have acquired them at an advantageous price, or taken them off the hands the LMS and got a useful bargain?

o

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
On 13/04/2019 at 07:22, relaxinghobby said:

Your big tank, "a filthy No.700 " with its big slab sides, reminds me of the London, Tilbury and Southend Railway's big 4-6-4 tanks. My favourite Baltic tank types, just for their square block massiveness. Deemed too big by the Great Eastern to go into their London Terminus of Fenchurch Street. They were doomed to roam the rails of the later LMS looking for suitable employment. A smaller concern like your alternative NWR could have acquired them at an advantageous price, or taken them off the hands the LMS and got a useful bargain?

Cheers fellas, you're right @relaxinghobby, I see the resemblance!

34d9befec4b3641eaf87bad25b6f9bc3.jpg

Similar to this other Whitelegg design for the GSWR

Baltic541.jpg

The smokebox and cylinder area are especially similar to No.700.

Edited by Corbs
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold

What a weekend! Sometimes you just feel like you've crammed a lot in to two days. To stick with the relevant stuff, yesterday I was volunteering on the Bristol Harbour Railway and acted as Trainee Guard (under supervision) for most of the day. In the morning I helped to clean Portbury and in the evening I was instructed on how to drive it back to the shed! I've never driven a steam loco before so this was the realisation of a childhood dream.

IMG_2350.JPG.c4881a5665ee98a757a9deb527a66e9a.JPG

Today in between running errands and work, I managed to squeeze in a visit to the 'fire and water' event at the Avon Valley Railway.

Some of the team behind the TV adaptation of the 'Thomas' stories made another series in 1989, called Tugs. It was one of my favourite shows when I was a kid and I used to watch the VHS all the time. A group of fans have managed to save as many of the models and props from the show as they could, and have organised an exhibition, which this weekend was at the AVR.

After the recent turmoil it was amazing to meet some of my childhood heroes who haven't done awful deeds and been sent to prison. The guys on the stand were really friendly and it was good to see AySea again (by chance we happened to be on the platform at the same time!). 

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_c058.jpg.e8595702460fc78105a7c7a216ded361.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_c04f.jpg.54f6aa99381b2769ce85fb109bed4b1e.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_c04b.jpg.adc349e91207295b5025b4e9d79a42f7.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_c050.jpg.2b5aa9b5c627170d45c61400ddff049c.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_c053.jpg.2b64d5fca4a1c1436195c7d929d2e1a4.jpg

Combined with the Nailsea show last weekend, I'm still on a high!

• Like 13

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, AlfaZagato said:

I missed Tugs, just before my time.   I do remember Theodore Tugboat, though.   Cool show, but Thomas was more interesting.

That was made by one of the Producers from 'Tugs' :)

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Eight Freight Blues, Dave Goulder's song about struggling to cope with firing a knackered 8F, No. 48215, with a driver who dislikes him.

Seems a good thread name for this loco! No.802 Indomitable, a fairly standard LMS 8F, built for the NWR by NBL as part of a batch which included a couple of 5MTs.

An uneventful strip down, repaint and lining job so far, this is my first loco using Tamiya lacquer due to the problems of getting Dullcote and it's pretty good. The lining needs some bedding in but my intention is to weather this loco a fair bit.

The final pic shows it posed alongside one of the ex-ROD 2-8-0s rebuilt with a Type 3C boiler as a mid-life upgrade and to standardise components and consumables with the newer locos.

The tender lining is a cut and shut set for a 'Coronation', which is handy as the curves in the tender are the same.

1330879166_hZk83gsoTVuvmR35bmIqw_thumb_c031.jpg.6907b97294e44d121cdbdf25de2c258f.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_c037.jpg.d39bb4ab8902a9b3280dbce0379462e1.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_c061.jpg.df4fcd50e06fce2277c94a975e66ad24.jpg

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

10 hours ago, Corbs said:

Eight Freight Blues, Dave Goulder's song about struggling to cope with firing a knackered 8F, No. 48215, with a driver who dislikes him.

Seems a good thread name for this loco! No.802 Indomitable, a fairly standard LMS 8F, built for the NWR by NBL as part of a batch which included a couple of 5MTs.

An uneventful strip down, repaint and lining job so far, this is my first loco using Tamiya lacquer due to the problems of getting Dullcote and it's pretty good. The lining needs some bedding in but my intention is to weather this loco a fair bit.

The final pic shows it posed alongside one of the ex-ROD 2-8-0s rebuilt with a Type 3C boiler as a mid-life upgrade and to standardise components and consumables with the newer locos.

The tender lining is a cut and shut set for a 'Coronation', which is handy as the curves in the tender are the same.

1330879166_hZk83gsoTVuvmR35bmIqw_thumb_c031.jpg.6907b97294e44d121cdbdf25de2c258f.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_c037.jpg.d39bb4ab8902a9b3280dbce0379462e1.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_c061.jpg.df4fcd50e06fce2277c94a975e66ad24.jpg

Lovely loco to come back to! 

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Do you never rest man? :D 

I never know what to expect when I dive into your threads Corbs - except I know it will be creative and inspiring. This page - from top to bottom - is a good example!

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks guys, Mikkel - I think it's having too many hobbies to be honest! Although many of us on here are guilty of that.

'Indomitable' is now slightly grubbier. Basic wash with smoke flavour powder mixed with microsol, left to dry then streaked and dabbed with a damp cotton bud, then sealed with Tamiya matt lacquer. Might need some more browny grime around the lower half but I quite like the way it's going.

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_c0c4.jpg.56061486a3b9f6e4d7c3276399e4be71.jpg

• Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5

• RMweb Gold

I almost exclusively use Halfords spray paints in rattle cans. Look for boring colours, they need to be flat, non-metallic spray paints.

My main colours are:

Rover Russet Brown

Ford Laurel Green (This was used on Perseus)

Vauxhall Regatta Blue (Standard NWR colour)

Rover Inca Yellow (SCC Yellow)

Ford Polar Grey (As used on Portbury)

Volkswagen Tornado Red (quite a vibrant colour)

Satin Black

I use filler primer for when I am trying to built up layers or flatten off joins etc (which is yellow), grey primer for most colours and white primer for yellow or white. You can use Halfords primer or just buy a cheap aerosol off eBay, I usually get them in packs of 5.

Usually I just mask off the black and touch it in with a paintbrush afterwards as Black is quite forgiving. Either Humbrol black from a tin, or more usually these days, cheap acrylic black from a squeezy tube from eBay which was cheap as chips, dries matt and dries quickly. To touch the colours in, just spray some into the lid and brush it on.

All the above colours are gloss, which takes transfers well. I use Micro-Sol to help blend them in and contour to the surfaces, let that dry thoroughly, then apply a matt lacquer. I used to use Testors Dullcote which was amazing, but not currently available. Now I have used Tamiya Clear Matt lacquer, which is very good. I've tried other supposedly 'matt' lacquers to poor effect. Humbrol's one was disappointing.

-Always mask off or remove glazing. Don't lacquer the glazing.

-Always seal transfers.

• Informative/Useful 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold

Like some sort of demented titan, last night I had enough of looking at 'Sigrid', picked it up and purposely broke it in two. When I had glued it the first time, I didn't get the tanks parallel with the running plate, so it always sloped up towards the back.

I pulled the tanks off the boiler, then re-glued and clamped them in place. This allowed me to lower the forward boiler mounting a bit and get the proper slope forward on the top of the boiler.

It's not 100% and it may not have been noticeable anyway, but I'm happier with it. At some point I'll likely rebuild the rear buffer beam to make it lower and match the front better.

As I said before, the next N Class tank loco conversion will not use any GBL components. One of the problems here is the thickness of the boiler prevents it sitting properly on the motor. Better to use as many matching components as possible.

fullsizeoutput_335f.jpeg.d174df907de23591f97ec2ad2b67a20f.jpeg

Edited by Corbs
MESSED IT UP
  • Like 16

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Cheers Alex!

I'm being a little bit naughty with this post but I know that some people follow threads and perhaps don't see blog posts as much, so here goes.

The Sudrian Histories project now has its own playlist on the Railway Mania channel! Here's a little intro to explain what it's all about.

Here's the first spotlight video - focusing on SCC No.1 'Bill.

• Like 8