• RMweb Premium
48 minutes ago, Mol_PMB said:

Gordon the Gorton Engine? 

Sounds unlikely, from the look of him. Perhaps Thomas the Tank Engine was after all a product of the Great Central's works?

Beyer, Peacock first names:

Charles (Beyer)

Richard (Peacock)

Henry (Robertson - the "& Co.", apparently)

Hermann Ludwig (Lange - Beyer's chief draughtsman and later the firm's chief engineer)

Alfred (Belpaire - by association, the firm being the first British locomotive builder to use his design)

Herbert William (Garratt)

• Like 3
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
On 07/12/2021 at 14:21, Mol_PMB said:

And what are their names? All engines on Sodor have names...

Patrick the Prairie Tank?

Brian the Beyer Peacock?

Gordon the Gorton Engine? 

;-)

Uhhhh, their names are "5" and "7" ;) 

Edited by Corbs
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 3

45 minutes ago, Corbs said:

Ahh very clever :D 

At least they are gaining some sort of identity now. Still plenty to do though. There is a bit of silvering on the decals which I am working on getting rid of, and they are obviously a bit lower quality as they are done on the laser, but am happy with how they printed.

Screenshot 2021-12-07 at 16.40.13.png

Screenshot 2021-12-07 at 16.40.19.png

Screenshot 2021-12-07 at 16.40.25.png

The tender loco variant very much has the look of something that would run on the Cambrian :)

Speaking of which, have you seen pics of the former Met Tank that the Cambrian rebuilt?  When they realised the Met tank as received from London Transport didn't have the range needed for the coastal route, they rebuilt one into a 4-4-0 tender loco, but it maintained the classic features like the inclined cylinders and sloped smokebox. 

• Like 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

2 hours ago, Corbs said:

Ahh very clever :D 

At least they are gaining some sort of identity now. Still plenty to do though. There is a bit of silvering on the decals which I am working on getting rid of, and they are obviously a bit lower quality as they are done on the laser, but am happy with how they printed.

As far as I am aware, once transfers have silvering, you are stuck with it. The only way to mitigate the effect is by a little light weathering.

To avoid silvering, apply transfers to gloss paint finish and use MicroSol and MicroSet to make sure that they settle. Then apply a coat of varnish of whatever degree of gloss/matt you prefer.

Best wishes 

Eric 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Yeah I think partially it's having to flip the decal so the slightly adhesive side is no longer on the back, the white decals don't need flipping and tend to blend a lot better. I think I should be buying shares in micro-sol and micro-set with the amount I use.

Here it is after sealing with matt lacquer. I wouldn't mind having a go at the 'polished rag' weathering finish that some people have tried, to get back some of the shine. The 2-6-2T is just waiting for the last few decals to dry before it gets sealed too.

Need to finish the tender drawbar coupling, add the fall plate and wire it up. Might try and sneak some lead sheet into the cab floor.

Have ordered the number plates from LRS but don't expect they will be done until the new year.

Overall I love it but I really wish I had either left the round top firebox or done a Belpaire conversion. I realise now that the one on the loco is much more akin to a Sharp Stewart machine rather than a Beyer Peacock.

FD6B2110-0AFE-4250-85DE-3CAF95BFFF62_1_105_c.jpeg.20f148f8066b4347df173b4199bca4d3.jpeg

Edited by Corbs
  • Like 15
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

Looks superb. The boiler bands really help to highlight the shape too. Great work! 

For me the firebox sides are too plain, it could do with a couple of washout plugs. Shouldn’t be too hard to add even at this stage? 

Will it carry etched numberplates?

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Corbs said:

Overall I love it but I really wish I had either left the round top firebox or done a Belpaire conversion. I realise now that the one on the loco is much more akin to a Sharp Stewart machine rather than a Beyer Peacock.

Percy was said to have been built by Avonside and rebuilt with Hunslet parts, perhaps this engine underwent a similar story.

Edited by The-Station-Pilot
  • Like 1

On 07/12/2021 at 19:13, burgundy said:

As far as I am aware, once transfers have silvering, you are stuck with it. The only way to mitigate the effect is by a little light weathering.

Silvering of decals - one tip I've seen from the Aeromodelling world is to apply a small amount of Tamiya Extra Thin on the decal carrying film to dissolve the silvered areas.  Needs testing before using in case of reaction with paintwork, but generally seems safe if done carefully.

|(credit to Mr De Coster on the Hyperscale forums)

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

7 hours ago, Corbs said:

Yeah I think partially it's having to flip the decal so the slightly adhesive side is no longer on the back, the white decals don't need flipping and tend to blend a lot better. I think I should be buying shares in micro-sol and micro-set with the amount I use.

Here it is after sealing with matt lacquer. I wouldn't mind having a go at the 'polished rag' weathering finish that some people have tried, to get back some of the shine. The 2-6-2T is just waiting for the last few decals to dry before it gets sealed too.

Need to finish the tender drawbar coupling, add the fall plate and wire it up. Might try and sneak some lead sheet into the cab floor.

I think that looks very convincing. It is probably wise to spell the company name out in full, as you might get tired of explaining what S & M on the tender stood for.

I usually apply an eggshell or semi matt varnish as the main sealing coat (another reason to buy shares in MicroScale) and then go into the corners with a diluted and dirtied application of matt varnish. This has the effect of adding a little grime and also giving a less uniform shine to the loco.

Chris Cox's articles @5&9Models on painting are always worth reading. By happy coincidence, there will be one in the forthcoming  LB&SCR Modellers Digest!

Best wishes 

Eric

Eric 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Corbs said:

Have ordered the number plates from LRS but don't expect they will be done until the new year.

FD6B2110-0AFE-4250-85DE-3CAF95BFFF62_1_105_c.jpeg.49cbf03039a03e6414aea76bc7803f88.jpeg

I really love it. I've a thing about small 4-4-0's anyway! No - I think the raised round firebox was a good move. BP certainly made plenty of locos with this type of firebox. What would really help, I think, is an extra boiler band on the firebox immediately where the rounded curve of the firebox front meets the horizontal top, the boiler band continuing down to meet the rising curve of the splasher?  Maybe paint the raised firebox front to resemble brass? What do you think?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks all!

Here is a look at the prairie as it currently stands. Lots of work to do on the chassis as the pony trucks are just plonked there for the pic, same for the cylinders.

On 09/12/2021 at 06:09, Mol_PMB said:

For me the firebox sides are too plain, it could do with a couple of washout plugs. Shouldn’t be too hard to add even at this stage? 

Good idea, I have ordered some and should be able to drill holes for them.

On 09/12/2021 at 08:23, burgundy said:

I think that looks very convincing. It is probably wise to spell the company name out in full, as you might get tired of explaining what S & M on the tender stood for.

Thanks Eric, it definitely was a conscious decision to spell out the company name!

On 09/12/2021 at 09:00, Johnson044 said:

I really love it. I've a thing about small 4-4-0's anyway! No - I think the raised round firebox was a good move. BP certainly made plenty of locos with this type of firebox. What would really help, I think, is an extra boiler band on the firebox immediately where the rounded curve of the firebox front meets the horizontal top, the boiler band continuing down to meet the rising curve of the splasher?  Maybe paint the raised firebox front to resemble brass? What do you think?

BC8A8F93-6738-4CDE-856B-943B983E1469_1_105_c.jpeg.736df4e4418b8b834410b51e55ec26e8.jpeg

That could look good, I do have some brass strip left which I could do for the front of the firebox before the sloping bit, or I could paint the band but need to get some appropriate paint.

Edited by Corbs
  • Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1