15 minutes ago, Corbs said:

I'm searching for some sort of item to fit to the running board forward of the driving wheel, and then plumbing that in somehow. Just haven't found the right thing yet :)

On the steampunk loco? If so, how about the toolboxes from a Pug kit? Small but enough to fill the gap partly

• Informative/Useful 1

A Westinghouse air pump and reservoir cylinder for the brakes, and being Steam Punk they could use it to charge the pressure on the Steam Punk style pneumatic dart guns, for defence. I'm sure that in the Steam Punk world pneumatics and hydraulics were mature technologies, they were in the similar Victorian era.

westinghousepump.jpeg.63d40f83e89a59bd3cda3adec7743417.jpeg

Fittings from Markits

westinghousepumpYoutube.jpeg.7576fdd4d2e00f5d4dc33b3fe2487614.jpeg

Picture from Youtube

Westinghouse-Ryde_Esplanade_ex-LSWR_O2_class_0-4-4T_geograph-2984558-by-Ben-Brooksbank.jpg.8fa58961234a106f86f8f816dd7baf76.jpg

Picture from Wikipedia on the Isle of Wight O2 class.

Lots of plumbing, if you want even more pipes and stuff do a search on United States steamers.

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

A pumps a pump I guess what ever it's orientation. On American loco's they had pumps, cylinders, feed water heaters, cooler radiators,  clack valves, injectors all over the place. The most Steampunkary locos on home railways where the  Joseph Beattie 2-4-0s with a miniature steam engine and flywheel mounted on the footplate to drive the feed water heater apparatus. W

Worth a Google?

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Corbs said:

Can you mount Westinghouse gear horizontally so it's on its side?

Hi Corbs,

I used to work with air braked steam locomotives that had Knorr Bremse air pumps that had to be mounted vertically because of the way the shuttle valves worked. If they were tipped more than 15* from vertical they wouldn't work, I know this for we used to prop them against a bench to test them with compressed air before fitting them to locomotives.

That said, if your engine is made up then so could be the air pumps.

Gibbo

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Ok, cool. Some ideas circulating for a braking system-type thing mounted on the running board. I'm not really going for the combat or industry-style steampunk, more just a lifted version of the Victorian/Edwardian aesthetic, so I'd like to keep it clean-ish.

• Like 1

On 14/02/2020 at 18:30, Corbs said:

I'm searching for some sort of item to fit to the running board forward of the driving wheel, and then plumbing that in somehow. Just haven't found the right thing yet :)

Ornate lamps?

Maybe even port and starboard navigation lamps. If people asked you to justify them, you could just give them a steely gaze then wait for them to apologise.

• Like 2
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold

I de-DCC-ed No.700 yesterday and have been converting it to RC. First tests.... (should really look where I'm going)

Think the body isn't quite sitting right. The Rx is located in the bunker but the battery is in the boiler and the link wires may be caught up in there.

• Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Sophia NSE said:

Do we get a model of that SR 4-8-0 you mocked up on your YouTube channel anytime soon?

I was browsing King Arthur loco bodies on eBay, but I had to resist, I have so many projects I'd like to do first!