On 25/04/2019 at 00:00, Corbs said:

Like some sort of demented titan, last night I had enough of looking at 'Sigrid', picked it up and purposely broke it in two. When I had glued it the first time, I didn't get the tanks parallel with the running plate, so it always sloped up towards the back.

I pulled the tanks off the boiler, then re-glued and clamped them in place. This allowed me to lower the forward boiler mounting a bit and get the proper slope forward on the top of the boiler.

It's not 100% and it may not have been noticeable anyway, but I'm happier with it. At some point I'll likely rebuild the rear buffer beam to make it lower and match the front better.

As I said before, the next N Class tank loco conversion will not use any GBL components. One of the problems here is the thickness of the boiler prevents it sitting properly on the motor. Better to use as many matching components as possible.

fullsizeoutput_335f.jpeg.d174df907de23591f97ec2ad2b67a20f.jpeg

I have to say I love that 2-6-0 in the background.  The bunker on this tank seems very small for such a large loco.

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, AVS1998 said:

Edit: don't trust train wifi with loading videos and links... Pub wifi, on the other hand... 

Heya Alex, does that mean that they are working ok now? Thanks for the subs!

3 hours ago, Traintresta said:

I have to say I love that 2-6-0 in the background.  The bunker on this tank seems very small for such a large loco.

Yes the bunker size is pathetic, a real oversight that these weren't converted into 2-6-4Ts like the Metropolitan did. Explains the odd practice of leaving a loaded coal wagon in the Norramby headshunt for mid-shift refuelling.

I'm hoping to build another 2-6-0 before too long, another member of the same class :)

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I post this here with a little trepidation... because there’s probably a much better method of doing lining, but people ask me about how I do it all the time so I made a guide!

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

16 hours ago, Corbs said:

One sunny afternoon, No.407 'Sigrid' drags 802 and 301 up towards Tidmouth. Likely a way of positioning multiple locos without needing a separate path for each.

37349CE6-4434-4829-A0ED-4B85EBCB70C3.jpg.55ed1065b47864169adeaa1a61f25a30.jpg

Hi Corbs,

Very often a way of pathing light engines from sheds to yards and stations where they were required. some large sheds such as Stratford used to dispatch upwards of ten locomotives at a time.

Gibbo.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold

Hi mate

Usually I try to put transfers on a gloss surface. If you are using car spray paint or railmatch aerosol then it should already be glossy enough without adding a coat of varnish.

I would try and seal the transfers with Klear before matt lacquering it.

So I would normally go:

Paint (gloss)>decals>klear>matt lacquer>weathering (however many layers you want to add)>matt laquer.

Be advised though that too much lacquer at the end can remove weathering coats.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
On 10/08/2019 at 18:39, scots region said:

Well if doesn't work, there's always thinners/the dog if I need an excuse. 

Hi mate

I saw this video yesterday and wanted to show you as he is using satin colours, then a gloss varnish, then transfers:

2 hours ago, Corbs said:

Hi mate

I saw this video yesterday and wanted to show you as he is using satin colours, then a gloss varnish, then transfers:

Just to chime in, firstly, great work Corbs, love what you are doing here. Secondly, Scots, nowadays i always put a gloss varnish coat on where transfers are going, always seems to give a better finish even on railmatch sprays.

Hope this helps

James

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Heya,

Not much to report on from the cobblin' workbench. Most of my railway time has been used in working on the podcast and YT channel stuff for Railway Mania.

Monday saw me return home from The Netherlands, where we were commemorating the 75th anniversary of Operation Market Garden and the liberation of Eindhoven and Nijmegen.

I made this video of the event in case anyone is interested :)

• Like 12

On 27/09/2019 at 06:20, Adrian Stevenson said:

Very nice video, thank you.

Lez and I got married in Oosterbeek on the 60th Anniversary of the battle. I have a 1942 ex Airborne Ford GPW Jeep. I took it over 13 years on the trot to Arnhem.

Cheers, Ade.

Hi Ade I was there on the 60th and many times before. I was there with a group called "VERA" (victory in Europe reenactment association) we worked closely with "1st Airborne recca" as well as "summer of 44" 

Good times and got to meet a lot of the old guys which was the best part of all.

Here's a couple of photos one on Reenkam heath (not sure of the spelling but you'll know) The group's stood round one of our Jeeps on the glider landing ground. And the other picture is me in the March to the bridge just coming up to the junction in Oosterbec were we turn left towards Arnham by the Sckoonard hotel.  

In the jeep picture I'm behind the jeep in the middle of the photo.

20190930_185028.jpg

20190930_184925.jpg

Edited by Londontram
Add photos
  • Like 9