• RMweb Gold

Ahhhh right, right, that makes sense, thanks for clarifying.

Here's today's progress. This is a very rough job as I've been doing it in the living room with limited tools, and my putty has gone dry in the tube so it's rougher than usual. Lots of filling and sanding still to do!

The bunker tapers in toward the back so the rear section would need widening.

post-898-0-02774500-1530999797_thumb.jpg

The bunker top curve cut out and lowered. The whole arrangement roughly glued (poly cement) in place - I used scrap plastic behind as reinforcement.

post-898-0-48732700-1531000078_thumb.jpg

Filler and fillets of styrene.

post-898-0-10672200-1531000288_thumb.jpeg

I stuck my fingers in the tacky paint so it looks a bit bendy, plus it's not properly sanded down yet, but it's taking shape. I've got a Fowler roof and spectacle plate on order to adapt.

post-898-0-10864900-1531000349_thumb.jpeg

post-898-0-48047100-1531000493_thumb.jpeg

• Like 14

• RMweb Gold

In my imagination of Sodor, they bought the whole fleet of surplus Class 29s straight from BR.  The Paxman engines had solved most of the issues with the NBLs, they were only scrapped as a non-standard class of just ten.  This wouldn't have been an issue on the small Sodor network.  

I also assumed they bought 94xx tanks (because many were withdrawn before they even reached their first boiler overhaul, or had only just had one) and only withdrew them in the mid-70s when they could buy 10-15 year old diesel shunters like the 04s, straight from BR at scrap value.

Sorry, think we posted around the same time. This all sounds sensible to me and similar to what I was thinking - snapping up bargains when they become available.

I think what was meant was that the Belpaire version of the Midland's B boiler was used on the Fowler 2-6-2Ts - the saturated version used on many Midland 2-4-0s and 0-6-0s from the post-Great War period onwards was classified G6, the 2-6-2Ts had a superheated version, G6S. The boiler on a N is much larger, but these engines have many Derby features, thanks to James Clayton.

All true, but the boiler was very much Churchward in design (although you would be forgiven for not thinking so given its external appearance).

Maunsell had gathered together a team of engineers from Derby and Swindon and combined these with the SECR residents at Eastleigh. They produced the N which was by far the most modern Class 4 tender engine in the country at the time and for a good while afterwards. I wasn't until Ivatt produced his Class 4 that the rest started to catch up. The mystery, at least me, is why Maunsell designed the Q 0-6-0 in the thirties; the SR already has a Class 4 design that was way better than that!

Edited by PenrithBeacon

• RMweb Premium

All true, but the boiler was very much Churchward in design (although you would be forgiven for not thinking so given its external appearance).

Maunsell had gathered together a team of engineers from Derby and Swindon and combined these with the SECR residents at Eastleigh. They produced the N which was by far the most modern Class 4 tender engine in the country at the time and for a good while afterwards. I wasn't until Ivatt produced his Class 4 that the rest started to catch up. The mystery, at least me, is why Maunsell designed the Q 0-6-0 in the thirties; the SR already has a Class 4 design that was way better than that!

Indeed, a deliberately refrained from drawing a parallel (!) with the larger Derby boilers. 

Gotcha, so this should perform better than the LMS tanks due it being based on a good design?

The model's performance will not be dependent on the prototype ...

The Fowler Class 4 2-6-4T was always considered the best of the series (including the BR4 2-6-4T) and it had a parallel boiler the design of which it shared with the Midland Class 3 4-4-0 tender engine.

Ahhhh right, right, that makes sense, thanks for clarifying.

Here's today's progress. This is a very rough job as I've been doing it in the living room with limited tools, and my putty has gone dry in the tube so it's rougher than usual. Lots of filling and sanding still to do!

The bunker tapers in toward the back so the rear section would need widening.

attachicon.gifIMG_7272.JPG

The bunker top curve cut out and lowered. The whole arrangement roughly glued (poly cement) in place - I used scrap plastic behind as reinforcement.

attachicon.gifIMG_7273.JPG

Filler and fillets of styrene.

attachicon.giffullsizeoutput_2b87.jpeg

I stuck my fingers in the tacky paint so it looks a bit bendy, plus it's not properly sanded down yet, but it's taking shape. I've got a Fowler roof and spectacle plate on order to adapt.

attachicon.giffullsizeoutput_2b8b.jpeg

attachicon.giffullsizeoutput_2b89.jpeg

That is a Hard piece of kit!!!!

It is going 'To Do The Deed!!!!!'

• RMweb Gold

Fair. I suggest the name Sodor Belle. Sorry if that's a bit standard. 

It's a good name! This one will probably be Gerda, Gertha or Sigrid, though ('Sigrid of Arlesdale' won't appear until 44 years later), with the 5 N Class Moguls being named after historical male Sudrians.

Sodor Belle or Sudrian Belle could well be the name of a fancy express! I imagine something with silver service dining (although they'd have to wolf down their food as the express only takes 1h 5m to get from Tidmouth to Barrow! Maybe it's a London-bound train).

It's a good name! This one will probably be Gerda, Gertha or Sigrid, though ('Sigrid of Arlesdale' won't appear until 44 years later), with the 5 N Class Moguls being named after historical male Sudrians.

Sodor Belle or Sudrian Belle could well be the name of a fancy express! I imagine something with silver service dining (although they'd have to wolf down their food as the express only takes 1h 5m to get from Tidmouth to Barrow! Maybe it's a London-bound train).

Ah, fair enough. I suggested it because, well, you know the reason. Paint that in blue and it would resemble a much less stupid version of Belle.

Seriously, HiT, water cannons on a train? How obvious do you want to be that you're just creating these characters to sell toys? 

Edited by RedGemAlchemist
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Seriously, HiT, water cannons on a train? How obvious do you want to be that you're just creating these characters to sell toys? 

Well Red, I hate to jump in a prove there really is a prototype for everything but.........................

post-22762-0-64381900-1531174257.jpg

OK so not the same as HiT did, but 9 ex-LBSCR D1s were fitted with firefighting equipment and stationed at depots around London to deal with incendiary bombs during WW2!!

Gary

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold

Interesting, looks like it took the place of the toolbox and the narrowness of the cab in relation to the running plate enables the kit box on the side of the bunker.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Well tonight I finally finished the cab steps on TK&F No.7. These are brass strips folded to an S shape and with a styrene L strip glued on.

post-898-0-30818600-1531179032_thumb.jpg

This had been annoying me for some time so pretty pleased to have done it.

post-898-0-59665700-1531179186_thumb.jpg

NWR No.407 'Sigrid' posed with the body plonked on and some trailing wheels underneath

post-898-0-13628800-1531179251_thumb.jpeg

• Like 11

Well Red, I hate to jump in a prove there really is a prototype for everything but.........................

attachicon.gifIMG_20170726_0011-L.jpg

OK so not the same as HiT did, but 9 ex-LBSCR D1s were fitted with firefighting equipment and stationed at depots around London to deal with incendiary bombs during WW2!!

Gary

Interesting, looks like it took the place of the toolbox and the narrowness of the cab in relation to the running plate enables the kit box on the side of the bunker.

...I stand corrected, Gary. That's actually pretty cool, and nowhere near as obtuse and obviously toyish as the TV series.

Also, just as a side note, I want to make it clear I don't hate ALL the TV exclusive characters. Just most of the ones since HiT took over production. That being said, it would be interesting to see you attempt a version of Harvey, Corbs, as seeing you do a crane tank would be quite interesting. Also as mentioned I don't mind Rosie, just the way she's portrayed in the TV series was always... a bit creepy. Much prefer the version from SIF's ERS stuff.

Haven't watched the TV series to be honest since I was much younger. My interest ended around the time the classic series did. I'm more familiar with the characters and such through my half-brother Billy and YouTube Poop videos . So really I'm more a classic RWS fan, but I do like the ERS. I think the guys at SIF have done a fantastic job continuing the series in the style of the Awdrys.

Anyway, sorry for hijacking your thread Corbs. You may continue.

Edited by RedGemAlchemist
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I think the Tidmouth Docks Authority could well do with a crane tank! Certainly some inspiration there. I only have one of their locos currently, No.16 built by YEC in the 1950s. I'm sure one of their 3 distinctive maroon USA tanks will make their way onto the layout at some point.

post-898-0-65120800-1531263282_thumb.jpg

I wonder if 'Dubsy' could be built on a Hornby Peckett chassis.

DSC01327.JPG

Back on the TK&F (so this is the pre-1925 era) they've recently acquired a brake van. Just as well if they are taking unfitted lead and stone trains down to the docks... 

This is a resin kit and was ok to make, although as yet unfinished and needs more detail adding, as well as lettering and weathering.

It's good to be able to run an entirely TK&F train at last.

post-898-0-99839300-1531263579_thumb.jpg

post-898-0-61192000-1531311486_thumb.jpg

post-898-0-65120800-1531263282_thumb.jpg

post-898-0-99839300-1531263579_thumb.jpg

post-898-0-61192000-1531311486_thumb.jpg

Edited by Corbs
  • Like 13

• RMweb Gold

NWR No.407 'Sigrid' is looking great Corbs! 

The TK&F stock looks very good too - nice brakevan (Smallbrook LSWR Road van?) - quite suitable for the TK&F I reckon. I really do like those 2-6-0T's - rather nice and different. 

• RMweb Gold

Glad you like it :) Yes it was the smallbrook kit, I had forgotten the name. I also have some chauldron waggons from them which will form some of the older lead wagons from the Toryreck mines.

Last night the two halves of Sigrid were joined together and this morning I gave it a blast of primer to show up what needs sanding. The front and rear spectacle plates are in but lots of fiddly sanding still needed.

Handrails need fitting soon.

post-898-0-46868400-1531396550_thumb.jpg

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold

Yes I think the chauldron waggons would be ideal for the lead mines at Toryreck - I've got a 7mm scale one which I must finish off at some point as I'd had the same idea as you.

Sigrid is really looking good now - coming together very nicely :) 

Glad you like it :) Yes it was the smallbrook kit, I had forgotten the name. I also have some chauldron waggons from them which will form some of the older lead wagons from the Toryreck mines.

Last night the two halves of Sigrid were joined together and this morning I gave it a blast of primer to show up what needs sanding. The front and rear spectacle plates are in but lots of fiddly sanding still needed.

Handrails need fitting soon.

attachicon.gif8F27AA1E-4913-4C3A-B9BE-B1847F60AEDB.jpg

She looks very nice! Another one of your own characters, is she? Oh, how delightful.

• RMweb Gold

Cheers chaps!

In weird way Sigrid looks almost right as an 0-6-0.... :D

Who makes those hopper wagons you are using for the TK&F? They look like standard gauge versions of the ones used on the Snailbeach Tramway.

- Alex

Thanks, the Snailbeach wagons were the inspiration! The wagon is a tri-ang coal wagon chassis with a scratchbuilt body in card and styrene. The card was from a box of chocolates, I’d not modelled much in card before so wanted to try and see if I could draw a ‘net’ and fold it up to make the shape I wanted.