I like pictures more than words so this should explain everything....

attachicon.gifIMG_7423.JPG

attachicon.gif39798C00-CC16-45B9-9336-BC253D0CB83F.jpg

Also the TK&F brake van gained some handrails and details.

attachicon.gifIMG_7432.JPG

Cor! She's a beautiful beast! As always, fantastic work! She'll fit right in alongside Thomas, Percy and the others.

Edited by RedGemAlchemist

• 3 weeks later...

post-5219-0-98390200-1533644344_thumb.jpgHi

About 50 years ago when the RTR choice was very limited the only way to obtain variety was to kit bash, or convert.  My first attempts were a Kitmaster prairie tank on aTriang princess chassis. An LMS 2P converted from a SR L1, before Triang did the same. A Triang Hall into a Grange with HD 2-6-4T wheels etc. Nowadays there is little need for such modifications so like many others I have started producing models of locos that never existed. In some cases however they were designed but just not built.  The BR standard 2-8-2, the LNER P10 2-8-2T, the SR Q1 0-6-4T. The current example is the Maunsell 2-6-2T described in the RCTS locos of the SR. 

The chassis is pure Bachmann N class, extended at the rear. The boiler/firebox is Triang L1 shortened to match the dimensions quoted in the book. The cab/tank/bunker is Kitmaster prairie, with the tanks the wrong way round so I only had to file off the moulding pips, not the rivets or raised lining. A useful little loco that normally pairs up with a BR Class 3 2-6-2T.

post-5219-0-66810200-1533644271_thumb.jpg

• Like 17

attachicon.gifP8070061.JPGattachicon.gifP8070059.JPGHi

About 50 years ago when the RTR choice was very limited the only way to obtain variety was to kit bash, or convert.  My first attempts were a Kitmaster prairie tank on aTriang princess chassis. An LMS 2P converted from a SR L1, before Triang did the same. A Triang Hall into a Grange with HD 2-6-4T wheels etc. Nowadays there is little need for such modifications so like many others I have started producing models of locos that never existed. In some cases however they were designed but just not built.  The BR standard 2-8-2, the LNER P10 2-8-2T, the SR Q1 0-6-4T. The current example is the Maunsell 2-6-2T described in the RCTS locos of the SR. 

The chassis is pure Bachmann N class, extended at the rear. The boiler/firebox is Triang L1 shortened to match the dimensions quoted in the book. The cab/tank/bunker is Kitmaster prairie, with the tanks the wrong way round so I only had to file off the moulding pips, not the rivets or raised lining. A useful little loco that normally pairs up with a BR Class 3 2-6-2T.

Nice!!, I mean Really Nice!!!!

Respect!

Chris.

I have had a couple ideas and have made a engine of my own if people are interested

I have a bunch of old locomotive parts including a royal scot locomotive chassis complete with wheels working motor everything

and I also have the body shell of an old Hornby j50

So my plan was to make a j50 4-6-0

it actually looks alright length ways so far

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Cracking cut and shuts there chaps!

From my workbench there's not been much progress. Work, a big family holiday (nearly 30 of us together!) in France and then back to more work, combined with burying my workbench under junk, has stalled things.

Over the last few days I've been able to clear space to work in again. Time to take stock.

Cosmetic jobs outstanding in 'live' projects:

ex-FR K2 NWR No.102

Line out cabside, paint cab interior, line and letter tender, fit plates

Woolworth tank NWR No.40x

Build rear bogie, line out, letter/number and detail/weather

Blue Pannier NWR No.308

Line out and letter the other side! Fit plates and lacquer

Mechanical jobs outstanding:

I've had so many mares with wheels not being quartered correctly, as well as the wheels not being fitted square.

Portbury

TDA No.16

NWR No.102

All these locos have wheels out of quarter that hinder performance greatly. Low speed is often juddery. I've ordered a cooper craft wheel jig in an attempt to do it more properly as I'm sick of the poor running.

NWR No.102

This also needs the RC system finishing and permanently fitting once the wheels are quartered. The worm gear is also not square on the motor output - gah! Needs doing properly.

NCB 'Little Lambton' No.3

The receiver on this loco is playing up. It will not bind to the Tx! I've tried different batteries to no avail, very frustrating. I've never had an issue with Rx45s but the Rx61s have given me nothing but trouble.

Now sorted! Different selecta position fixed the issue.

I'd better start ticking these off!

Edited by Corbs
  • Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

that is indeed why I tried to do it. As I know many people like the engine but I haven't seen many people try making it. It came out well but it is a little loud when running and sometimes derails going backwards going over sharp points but apart from that it is a very smooth runner and I am very pleased with how i turned out (apart from the gap under the frames)

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

The Hornby 'Princess' chassis is a really nice running, affordable thing, but let down by the split rear pony truck, which doesn't look right at all.

Inspired by LNER4479 on the Shap thread....

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/128568-hills-of-the-north-bring-on-the-big-uns/page-17

I opted to use part of the rear frames salvaged from a GBL 'Coronation', which I believe was £5.99 for the whole loco when I bought it, so not a huge sacrifice!

Sawed off the metal on the pony truck to allow it to clear the frames.

post-898-0-70175400-1537944489_thumb.jpg

Glued the front portion of the frames on.

post-898-0-71053500-1537944559_thumb.jpeg

Blended with some careful filing and filler.

post-898-0-21646300-1537944511_thumb.jpeg

The result is more what I wanted, although not perfect (should be mounted lower down but the GWR cab threw me out a bit) it does at least look like frames and less like a toy for going around radius 1 curves!

post-898-0-86237300-1537944538_thumb.jpg

post-898-0-75038300-1537944596_thumb.jpeg

post-898-0-31614900-1537944613_thumb.jpeg

• Like 9

The Hornby 'Princess' chassis is a really nice running, affordable thing, but let down by the split rear pony truck, which doesn't look right at all.

Inspired by LNER4479 on the Shap thread....

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/128568-hills-of-the-north-bring-on-the-big-uns/page-17

I opted to use part of the rear frames salvaged from a GBL 'Coronation', which I believe was £5.99 for the whole loco when I bought it, so not a huge sacrifice!

Sawed off the metal on the pony truck to allow it to clear the frames.

attachicon.gifIMG_8987.JPG

Glued the front portion of the frames on.

attachicon.giffullsizeoutput_2e9e.jpeg

Blended with some careful filing and filler.

attachicon.giffullsizeoutput_2e9f.jpeg

The result is more what I wanted, although not perfect (should be mounted lower down but the GWR cab threw me out a bit) it does at least look like frames and less like a toy for going around radius 1 curves!

attachicon.gifIMG_8990.JPG

attachicon.giffullsizeoutput_2e9b.jpeg

attachicon.giffullsizeoutput_2e9c.jpeg

Hi Corbs,

I like the look of that especially in the blue which actually quite suits the Kings as it suited the Lizzies. What I also like is that when I worked at Riley's in Bury we used to take the mickey out of the 6201 group by telling them that there engine was just a King with a trailing truck, we now know what a King with trailing truck would look like.

Gibbo.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Cheers Gibbo, as you can imagine I love the blue!

I managed to mess up the lining on the tender by re-lacquering it on one side, which caused the lining to pinch and wrinkle. Vexing, to say the least as the tender lining was the straightest on the whole loco!

I've managed to respray one side and am letting the paint go off while I wait for some new lining transfers, this side will be getting the gold N W R lettering as it looks so much better to me than the white N W.

I thought I had better crack on with the static 'Woolworth' 2-6-2T conversion 'Sigrid'.

A rather nice generic lining set was perfect here, lots of useful corners and straights.

post-898-0-05157700-1538087358_thumb.jpg

I'd run out of Rs so used a P and a bit of straight gold, think it's ok.

post-898-0-07693600-1538087419_thumb.jpg

The cab floor was made from a rectangle cut out of a pizza box and glued in.

The blue tank engine fleet is growing, Sigrid needs a copper cap next...

post-898-0-39381600-1538087486_thumb.jpeg

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold

Hi Corbs, that's a really good looking trio. Copper caps looks really good with the blue. 

I hope you manage to save the tender for 805. I've sometimes thought it would be good to have a boxing bag next to the workbench!

• Like 1

Hi  I really like 805 but could I suggest replacing the outside steam pipes?  The BR modified Kings & Castles had larger, more curved, pipes but I think the really large style fitted to the Chapelon P&O pacific rebuilds would look great on a King, & probably be more efficient as well.  Roger.

• RMweb Gold

Got to agree with that Mikkel, I think it'll be ok, the layers of paint on the tender are so thick now I'm contemplating stripping the whole thing and redoing it.

Hi  I really like 805 but could I suggest replacing the outside steam pipes?  The BR modified Kings & Castles had larger, more curved, pipes but I think the really large style fitted to the Chapelon P&O pacific rebuilds would look great on a King, & probably be more efficient as well.  Roger.

Sounds interesting GP, do you have a pic of what they looked like?

This morning before work, whilst l had lining on the brain, I lined out the tender for No.102.

post-898-0-03086800-1538140432_thumb.jpg

post-898-0-12571100-1538211662_thumb.jpg

'Sigrid' may soon have a new stablemate, too. I found a damaged Bachmann N Class for sale on eBay for less than the usual rate, made an offer which was accepted, then used the PAYDAY discount and got a bit more off, result! Think this one will become either Sigurd, Harold, Thorkell, Ulf (all tender versions) with the more enclosed NWR cab.

A bit like this...

post-898-0-49210000-1538140616.jpg

Edited by Corbs
  • Like 9

Got to agree with that Mikkel, I think it'll be ok, the layers of paint on the tender are so thick now I'm contemplating stripping the whole thing and redoing it.

Sounds interesting GP, do you have a pic of what they looked like?

This morning before work, whilst l had lining on the brain, I lined out the tender for No.102.

attachicon.gifIMG_9014.JPG

'Sigrid' may soon have a new stablemate, too. I found a damaged Bachmann N Class for sale on eBay for less than the usual rate, made an offer which was accepted, then used the PAYDAY discount and got a bit more off, result! Think this one will become either Sigurd, Harold, Thorkell, Ulf (all tender versions) with the more enclosed NWR cab.

A bit like this...

attachicon.gifwoolworth1.jpg

This is the best picture I can find at the moment, a 240P. Roger

post-5219-0-35447400-1538149766.jpg

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

People living within 50 miles of Bristol may have heard me breathe a sigh of relief today as I finished lining out the tender (again). Going to seal it with some Klear before matt varnishing it.

Here it is in tandem with 308. 805 was the second loco I ever lined and there's a few slightly wiggly bits I'd like to iron out.... One day.

post-898-0-46809600-1538346495_thumb.jpg

I find that the gold N W R is much more pleasing than the white N W, but I think I'll carry on doing a different style on the sides of most locos to signify different eras.

Edited by Corbs
  • Like 12

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

The Cathedral is back on the display shelf for the time being, but the 'To Do' list grows ever longer.

Since the Land Rover didn't break down this month, I went on a bit of a spree and splashed out on a few new projects, some of them are 'real life' projects in the clinic but others are destined for NWR service.

I already have the static model of 'Sigrid' under construction, which has now been fully lined. According to my rebooted NWR history, 8 Woolwich Arsenal-built N Class 'kits' were bought by the NWR after WW1. 5 were built as tender engines, and 3 as tank locos. The tender locos received more enclosed cabs (since it's grim up north) which later inspired the LMS.

I bought a rather playworn N Class on eBay. A good deal, very dusty, a few broken parts and a missing smoke deflector, no problem, but when I decided to run it in on the rollers, I left it going and came back to find it not working. What seems to have happened is that the piston rod pulled out of the cylinder, jammed against the cylinder, bent the connecting rod and the motor's then burnt out trying to turn it. I've managed to straighten the rod a bit but it's a real shame. Have asked Bachmann if they'll sell me a new motor but if that doesn't work I'll have to bodge something up.

Never mind, eh, on with the show...

A GBL Black 5 was dismantled for its cab. Surprisingly, the cab fitted with just a little dremeling needed.

The original running plate and steps will need to be trimmed away but I'm pleased with the fit so far.

post-898-0-09355000-1539128454_thumb.jpg

The dead motor and a potential replacement.

post-898-0-05333800-1539128487_thumb.jpg

403 'Thorkell' with 407 'Sigrid'

post-898-0-46451300-1539128728_thumb.jpeg

• Like 12