Neither, it's a cut and shut ERTL die cast body on a Hornby L&Y Pug chassis powered by a smaller motor. About half the size of the Bachmann one!

I was thinking of getting either the Bachmann models of Bill and Ben or making RWS-esque models like you have done.

Narrow Planet's latest delivery has arrived! 

This means that '407' Sigrid and 403 'Thorkell' both have identities.

attachicon.giffullsizeoutput_3039.jpeg

attachicon.giffullsizeoutput_303a.jpeg

attachicon.gifIMG_0378.JPG

The Robinson/Stanier hybrids also have their numbers. No names yet, will order them soon. Unfortunately my final ROD chassis donor didn't work so it's going back to the shop for an exchange. Vanguard's going to have to wait until then.

701 'Triumph'

attachicon.giffullsizeoutput_303c.jpeg

attachicon.giffullsizeoutput_3040.jpeg

703 'Powerful'

attachicon.giffullsizeoutput_303e.jpeg

attachicon.giffullsizeoutput_303f.jpeg

Really pleased with how these came out, here's the original concept pic :D

attachicon.gifNWR-7F-2-2.jpg

Nice engine! I'll bet this would've seen work overseas on other continental railways around the world.

• RMweb Gold

Large logo begone! Down to small warning panel size now as I finally finished the seemingly endless priming and sanding. Not the top coat but getting somewhere.

The filler lid is from an old Hornby A3 tender. Not yet fixed on.

post-898-0-00175700-1545701343_thumb.jpg

The final ROD rebuild (?!) on the NWR is the mighty No.700, a 2-8-4T.

The cab, bunker and tanks will match the Woolworth tank loco rebuilds, using the Fowler 4P as a starting point.

post-898-0-84700700-1545701200_thumb.jpg

A rough plonk to see how it might look. Inspired somewhat by the Kitson 2-8-2Ts of the Richmond Vale Railway (themselves based on the Robinson Q4s, so this is slightly larger) and the Thompson Q1 rebuilds. The tanks will extend to the smokebox.

post-898-0-98259000-1545701363_thumb.jpeg

• Like 17

I might as well put the choice up to everyone on here. I want to build a custom 4-6-0 but I need a boiler for the engine and I was going to get a b12s boiler. However I already have one of the old Hornby b12s in LNER green. the previous owner botched a new tender on it and reversed the polarity on the engine. It also doesn't run very well but I still kinda like it however I don't have any money and I would be kinda alright with using it to make a new engine and I would just like peoples opinions on if I should do it or not. 

A bit like this then?

post-33498-0-34713500-1545795118.png

Personally I'd keep it as a B12 and detail it up somewhat. Or put the new chassis under it but leave off the deflectors and keep the GER  cab - A 'what if' GER outside-cylinder 4-6-0 perhaps.

Like this:

post-33498-0-40175100-1545795242.png

Edited by sem34090
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Hi steel and soot, I don’t want to seem like a jerk but this is a thread for my projects, where I post updates on them and people can talk about them if they want. That’s why it’s called ‘Corbs’ Cobbling’. The ‘imaginary locos’ thread may be what you are after for more general discussion about things like that.

EDIT: I should add that I really like your projects but please understand my wish to keep this thread mainly about stuff on my work bench :)

Edited by Corbs

• RMweb Premium

Interesting build Corbs.

If you are going to extend the tanks in line with with the size they are now to the smokebox the front splasher/sandbox  would look a bit odd since there would be no way to fill the sandbox. Unless of course you make the tanks all the way down to the footplate. 

Just a thought. 

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Hi Corbs

This is my 1st post to you since I was let out of hospital 11 days ago but enough about me.

I want to say that the work you do on your models is highly impressive and if a competion is ever done on rmweb I would recommend you enter your models into it.

Also I would like to point out too that the work you did on garratt showed me that I had definitely used the wrong 9F chassis on my garratt which prevented me from mounting the boiler section properly as you did on yours.

So on that note I owe you serious thanks as you showed me what I should have done on my loco.

Hope you are doing ok Mr Mersey! Thank you for your kind words, it really means a lot. Do you think you will change anything on your 9F Garratt (18F? ;) )

The 2-8-4 looks like a mainline variant of the S1 0-8-4 shunters. I hope you've got room to run the 30 or 40-wagon trains it should be able to handle!

Thanks! Yes more or less a 2 cylinder version with leading pony truck. The thinking here is that the NWR was trying to solve a problem in a hurry (more on that later) and bought a cheap ex-ROD 2-8-0, doing the least amount of work possible to convert it to a tank loco.

I recommend the name Beowulf for 700.

Great work as always mate. Revenge looks phenomenal, and makes me really want to get on with that 0-4-0+0-4-0 Garratt I want to make!

Thank you! Beowulf is an awesome name, definitely conjures up an image. I think I'm going to stick to my rough naming theme though, and go for something Sudric or roughly in the area. Someone suggested a mythical Sudrian creature, of which there are quite a few cool ones.

hi Corbs yeah I understand I didn't mean to get in the way or anything. I was just asking if anybody thought I should do it as I was really unsure and I like listening to peoples ideas. sorry if I was a nuisance.

Not a nuisance dude! Like I said I am a big fan of your work, just would like to keep this topic about the stuff on my workbench :)

Interesting build Corbs.

If you are going to extend the tanks in line with with the size they are now to the smokebox the front splasher/sandbox  would look a bit odd since there would be no way to fill the sandbox. Unless of course you make the tanks all the way down to the footplate. 

Just a thought. 

Very good point Dave, I have taken your advice and changed the design (see below).

There have been at least three Vanguard's. A St Vincent- class dreadnought built 1909 and blew up 1917, a battleship built 1945 and scrapped 1960, and the modern submarine.

That's right, the NWR's Vanguard being named after the first one (despite its rather unfortunate demise) as it was built at Vickers Armstrong in Barrow, itself served by the NWR (in this fictional world anyway).

Here's the latest from the bench as I've been doing a few bits and bobs in between festive family fun.

No.700 - I sliced up the side tanks in two places, shortening the tank extensions and lengthening the main sections, using styrene L section to brace it.

post-898-0-39188900-1545997879_thumb.jpg

Using more styrene sheet I have started to fill the gaps. Lots of filling and sanding will be needed.

The bunker has also been cut and shut as with the Woolworth tanks, so that the top of the bunker is in line with the top of the tanks.

post-898-0-87364300-1545997895_thumb.jpg

A blast of primer to give an impression of what it may look like. As Dave recommended above, I have kept access to the sanding pots while allowing a gap for getting to the inside motion.

post-898-0-32273800-1545996344_thumb.jpeg

post-898-0-85084500-1545996359_thumb.jpeg

More on Revenge later...

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold

Good to hear you are out Mr Mersey, hope you are on the mend and back building locos again soon! 

Now, ah, sweet Revenge....

Handrails added to the tanks as well as useful steps for clambering and such. The filler lids are salvaged from GBL models and kept in place by glueing them to a tapered styrene rod, rammed into the screw holes.

The steps and lamp irons are from styrene L section.

post-898-0-83076900-1546204656_thumb.jpg

Today I finally got around to beginning lining the tanks. So many corners! I've only done one side so far, but am really pleased with the result.

post-898-0-39654100-1546204674_thumb.jpeg

I've only added company lettering to the rear tank, think the front one looks ok without,

post-898-0-64898500-1546204690_thumb.jpeg

post-898-0-08394400-1546204711_thumb.jpeg

post-898-0-89006900-1546204720_thumb.jpeg

Now it just needs the headlamp installing and wiring up. Oh, and lining the other side...

While I was in the mood I also lined and lettered (one side) of the ROD tender for the final rebuilt 2-8-0 'Powerful' which sports the Giesl ejector.

post-898-0-58635500-1546204738_thumb.jpg

post-898-0-65015900-1546204760_thumb.jpg

• Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Good to hear you are out Mr Mersey, hope you are on the mend and back building locos again soon! 

Now, ah, sweet Revenge....

Handrails added to the tanks as well as useful steps for clambering and such. The filler lids are salvaged from GBL models and kept in place by glueing them to a tapered styrene rod, rammed into the screw holes.

The steps and lamp irons are from styrene L section.

attachicon.gifIMG_0548.JPG

Today I finally got around to beginning lining the tanks. So many corners! I've only done one side so far, but am really pleased with the result.

attachicon.giffullsizeoutput_30be.jpeg

I've only added company lettering to the rear tank, think the front one looks ok without,

attachicon.giffullsizeoutput_30c2.jpeg

attachicon.giffullsizeoutput_30c0.jpeg

attachicon.giffullsizeoutput_30bf.jpeg

Now it just needs the headlamp installing and wiring up. Oh, and lining the other side...

While I was in the mood I also lined and lettered (one side) of the ROD tender for the final rebuilt 2-8-0 'Powerful' which sports the Giesl ejector.

attachicon.gifIMG_0612.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_0620.JPG

I think if you put the nameplates on the front tank of Revenge that could look good 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Good idea, Luke.

A final post from me in 2018 to say thank you to everyone and I hope you have a productive and enjoyable 2019!

'Vanguard', 'Powerful' and 'Triumph' stand in the yard as 'Revenge' banks a goods train in the background....

post-898-0-58134800-1546268563_thumb.jpeg

.... and No.700 changes colour as sanding starts to make an impact!

post-898-0-92035600-1546268488_thumb.jpg

post-898-0-32536000-1546268648_thumb.jpg

Edited by Corbs
  • Like 11

• RMweb Premium

There are elements of both Derby and Gorton design practice that can be traced back to the influence of Charles Beyer and Richard Peacock - whilst there's not that much visible evidence of S.W. Johnson in the LMS standard 4P 2-6-4T, it was designed by a team who started out under his eye, while Johnson himself early on had a stint at Gorton for the MS&LR under Richard Peacock. The link between Beyer, Peacock and the MS&LR was always close, evidenced by Parker's early adoption of the Belpaire boiler the BP were already building for export locomotives.

So, the marriage of the 4P and ROD is rather fitting, as is the ROD-based Beyer-Garratt!

And, it's not as if the 2-8-4T is the first NWR locomotive to have that characteristic front tank extension!

Edited by Compound2632

• RMweb Premium

You are getting good at that Caley lookalike livery Corbs. 

Really if it hadn't been for that silly grouping thing I could be having  lot of fun.

I have an ROD sitting in a box. Why ? Well the Caley borrowed 53 of them. Much as I would like that to be borrowed in the Glaswegian sense of the word it was official, but I'll do something with it when I have done messing about with my D1 "kit"....... 

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Dave! I think I've managed to get a 'bare minimum' I am happy with, the proper Caley livery is a bit fiddly for me to try applying to the whole fleet.*

I was having a look at the ex-GWR ROD boiler compared to the LNER version, looks like it needs a bit of modification although not too much really. They are very nice runners.

*I think I'm going to end up painting my 812 wheels and frames black when they arrive, although I realise this will likely get me put on the list.