Blueball Summit

andy stroud

The trackwork flows nicely! I look forward to updates!

Cheers,

Jack

This picture shows most of the pointwork on the layout, taken while the track was being ballasted. All the points are on the same baseboard. The main running lines are through the middle of the picture while the track on the right is a refuge or engineers siding. The goods loop is along the back.

post-1218-0-75860700-1392637063.jpg

Edited by andy stroud
  • Like 17

These next two pictures show the two structures being used for the scenic breaks. The first one below is the overbridge used at the station end of the layout. The model is roughly based upon the one that used to exist at Churston, before being replaced by a concrete one. On the real one, the Brixham branch passed through the smaller arch on the right. On my layout, this arch is for the goods loop, which runs behind the station platforms.

post-1218-0-98935800-1392673629.jpg

The other structure at the other end of the scenic section is this tunnel mouth, based upon Somerton Tunnel. I have a book called Western Glory by Chris Chapman which contains  a lovely colour picture of a Western emerging from this tunnel.

post-1218-0-32001500-1392674876.jpg

• Like 14

• RMweb Gold

Fantastic stuff Andy! Lovely trackwork, and that foot bridge is brilliant! 

If you have some plastic sprue laying around you could always stretch some out over a candle to get strip thinner than 0.3mm. It can be tricky to get consistent sizes though if you need large amounts but its worked for me in the past. 

Tom. 

Magnificent:

Lovely flowing trackwork / scenic contours  - and the viaduct / bridge / tunnel / and particularly the footbridge are exquisite - and all the more impressive for this being your first N gauge adventure.

You mentioned investigating further window bars (like on the footbridge) - I believe Microstrip is available as fine as .010 x .025, but may be very fiddly to work with. Adapting N or 00 gauge etched industrial windows may be an option another time? 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

It's amazing the standards and quality being achieved in N/2mm these days. Fantastic progress. I will be watching updates with interest.

Could you tell me what you used for window glazing for the footbridge and what adhesive to stick on the glazing bars. Did you get any "clouding" from the glue on the "glass"?

Thanks

It's amazing the standards and quality being achieved in N/2mm these days. Fantastic progress. I will be watching updates with interest.

Could you tell me what you used for window glazing for the footbridge and what adhesive to stick on the glazing bars. Did you get any "clouding" from the glue on the "glass"?

Thanks

The whole of the main body of the bridge was made of clear plastic sheet. I did it that way to help make the structure stronger. The 'wooden' panelling (below the windows) was glued on over the top. In the past, I have constructed signal boxes using the same method. I only used  normal liquid glue that one uses for pasticard. I use 'Contacta' by Revell. sold in little blue bottles with a yellow end. The glazing bars were held in twizers, dipped in a drop of glue and then applied to the window area. No clouding as such although you can see glue marks on close examination of the model. So don't look too closely!

Edited by andy stroud

The whole of the main body of the bridge was made of clear plastic sheet. I did it that way to help make the structure stronger. The 'wooden' panelling (below the windows) was glued on over the top. In the past, I have constructed signal boxes using the same method. I only used  normal liquid glue that one uses for pasticard. I use 'Contacta' by Revell. sold in little blue bottles with a yellow end. The glazing bars were held in twizers, dipped in a drop of glue and then applied to the window area. No clouding as such although you can see glue marks on close examination of the model. So don't look too closely!

Hadn't thought of dipping them in glue then putting them on.... Another method to try. Thanks. By the way I did look closely by zooming in on the picture on my ipad. Still looks amazing.

• RMweb Premium

Great stuff. The viaduct is impressive along with the track work. 10ft in N looks huge. Are the china clay wagons the ones from Kernow?

Edited by maq1988

Are the china clay wagons the ones from Kernow?

The clayhoods are body kits from Parkwood running on modified Farish16ton mineral underframes. I have done 21 of them and intend to do a few more. This time i might use the Kernow ones for the chassis, but replace the bodies with Parkwood ones as I prefer the plank detail on these.

Edited by andy stroud

Hi Andy,

Very nice simple design, quality workmanship, has the potential to be stunning when you get the scenery done.  I presume it will be a roundy-roundy...  What sort of era are you contemplating?

I went back to 4mm a few years ago (got a bigger shed in the garden and was fed up waiting for N Gauge to make progress under "Bachfar").  If ever i was to think about returning to 2mm, it would have to be 2mmFS.