Blueball Summit

andy stroud

• RMweb Gold

I would just like to say thankyou for all the kind comments regarding the video. I'm glad you liked it. It was only taken with an iphone and mostly hand held but I think it does convey the general feel of the layout quite well. Previously, I've  always had single track branch line layouts  so watching long trains going by and passing other trains is still something of a novelty for me!  My favourite thing  to see is two trains passing on the viaduct, just outside of the tunnel. It's nice when it just happens by itself but sometimes I 'set it up' but stopping an approaching train just out of sight inside the tunnel  and then making it emerge just at the right time. I didn't capture this on the video, but maybe another time.

I need to work on some more locos and rolling stock so I can vary the trains a bit more. More BR wagons, opens, milk tankers, engineers wagons, etc and then get back to the scenery after a while. A few more buildings are needed for under and behind the viaduct together with a river feature. Also I am thinking of a thick backdrop of trees behind the running lines where there is just a plain backscene at the moment.

Once again many thanks for all the recent messages.

andy

Any progress to report for October Andy, and perhaps some more views of your layout for us to enjoy please?

Thanks,

Kevin

Any progress to report for October Andy, and perhaps some more views of your layout for us to enjoy please?

Thanks,

Kevin

Hi Kevin, thanks for your enquiry. I don't really have much to report. The layout is set up and I have been running a few trains around but I have not added anything  to the layout itself since the video was posted. I have however been  preparing a few more items of rolling stock and a couple more locos so should have some new photos in the couple of weeks or so.

• 3 weeks later...

Cracking layout Andy

Trains in the landscape - what could be better?

And as others have said - 2mm? would never have known!

Phil

Thankyou Phil, that's very kind. To be honest, yours was one of the layouts that  inspired me to start this project. I remember watching one of your earlier Abbotswood videos and thinking how lovely it was.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for the kind words Andy...it was a concept we thought had legs, and you have helped prove it!

And that 5826 gets everywhere - has been spotted on Abbotswood too...

Phil

Edited by Phil Bullock
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Smashing stuff Andy!

Thanks again for sharing

I do wish Bachmann/Farish would come up with a better finish for their coach wheels though. When we weather stock they all come out and get a coat of dirty black/gunmetal/leather mix

Phil

Smashing stuff Andy!

Thanks again for sharing

I do wish Bachmann/Farish would come up with a better finish for their coach wheels though. When we weather stock they all come out and get a coat of dirty black/gunmetal/leather mix

Phil

Thanks Phil,

I think you are right. I must do something with the coach wheels. Very noticable in that last picture.

andy

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Thanks Phil,

I think you are right. I must do something with the coach wheels. Very noticable in that last picture.

andy

Anything new happening Andy that we should all be told about please, as your layout provides much inspiration.

TTFN

Kevin

Anything new happening Andy that we should all be told about please, as your layout provides much inspiration.

TTFN

Kevin

HI kevin. Not a great deal to report really, just a couple of signals and a few more wagons prepared for service. I am away from home at the moment but will sort out a few new pictures hopefully in the next week or so.

Best regards

Andrew

How have I missed this topic? Amazing stuff - even more amazed once I'd read a few posts and realised what scale it is in!

Your road with the Landrover on the verge at the start of the video in post 204 is probably the most convincing road I have ever seen on a model! That's not to detract from the rest of the landscaping and buildings either, which are all simply superb!

I've just read through from post #1 - on my 'follow' list now! 

HI kevin. Not a great deal to report really, just a couple of signals and a few more wagons prepared for service. I am away from home at the moment but will sort out a few new pictures hopefully in the next week or so.

Best regards

Andrew

Hi Andrew,

Looking forward to the next wave of photos. Been getting Blueball Summit withdrawal symptoms!

Best regards,

Jeremy

• RMweb Premium

Andy,

Great to see full length China clay rake, I have the earlier versions from kernow, I too should bin the coarse flat hoods, and replace them with some with more finesse.

The semaphores look impressive, I was not up to soldering up the components so did a hybrid version using Dapol,ratio and etch brass parts from MSE.

A tip for GWR finials and oil lamps for lights is consider Modelu. He 3D prints in N now and I have added these to my bracket/ junction signals . Fully recommend them.

Carl

• Like 1

Hi Carl.

I think my brass signals look ok as long as you dont look too close!  Your Dapol based ones probably work where as mine are most definately staying fixed! Could well be that the 'box is switched out! I need to persevere with the soldering and improve as I would like to tackle some brass wagon kits from the 2mm Society / Steve Harris.

andy

• Like 1