Blueball Summit

andy stroud

excellent modelling for interest how do the finer N Farish wheels run on easitrac ?

Nick

Hi Nick

Yes modern N gauge stuff seems to run nicely on easitrac.   I did read before I started the layout, that that was the case.

Andy

• 1 month later...

Hi Andy

Just watched the video, what couplings do you use to get the coaches close coupled please?

Ian

hi Ian.

The couplings are just a very crude 'hook and bar' made from 0.5 brass rod. Most of the stock on my layout is so fitted and trains remain semi-permanently coupled. Each vehicle has a hook at one end and a bar at the other. A 'hook' is just a 'U' shape and a 'bar' is simply a straight piece of 0.5 which stcks out and then bends downwards at 90 degrees. The distance of this bend from the bufferbeam will determine how close the vehicles are coupled. My layout only has shallow curves, otherwise that would be an issue. Some of my stock does have Spratt and Wrinkles which will interact. with the aforementioned hooks.  I think what helps with the coaching stock is the corridor connections. They are made from black paper and are available from mbmodelrailwayproducts.co.uk.

HTH

cheers

Andy

Edited by andy stroud

• 4 weeks later...

post-1218-0-74107400-1498522445_thumb.jpg

There are no trains today due to a house on the line! This picture shows the house about to be planted in the empty space in front of the viaduct. The house is inspired by and very loosely based on the one pictured below. Mine has been considerably simplified and made smaller in order to fit the space available. The real house is at Dartmouth and I have a feeling somebody  famous once lived in it as I seem to recall a plaque on the wall outside when I walked past the gate. Somebody to do with radio development, I think.

post-1218-0-30822400-1498522471.jpg

post-1218-0-09850200-1498522618_thumb.jpg

Good old plasticard!

post-1218-0-13383100-1498522593_thumb.jpg

This picture is looking through an arch of the viaduct and  shows some steps under construction.

post-1218-0-23999000-1498522640_thumb.jpg

A view of the house after being planted.

post-1218-0-94850600-1498522662_thumb.jpg

Another view of the newly installed building. I had  intended to do  much more ornate balcony railings, made from various sizes of microstrip but after my initial trial failed, impatience got the better of me and I used some brass etchings which I had spare. Where the ruler is, will be a river.

Many thanks,

Andy

• Like 17

Stunning structure modelling.

And great for it being on a number of levels that adds interest - so much more satisfying than the flat earth baseboard type of layout often seen.

G.

As to be expected from you, another simply stunning piece of architectural modelling.  That's not to say that your non-arcitectural modelling isn't stunning too!!

I love the way that the buildings sit within rather than on the landscape.

Ian

• RMweb Gold

attachicon.gifIMG_2920.jpg

There are no trains today due to a house on the line! This picture shows the house about to be planted in the empty space in front of the viaduct. The house is inspired by and very loosely based on the one pictured below. Mine has been considerably simplified and made smaller in order to fit the space available. The real house is at Dartmouth and I have a feeling somebody  famous once lived in it as I seem to recall a plaque on the wall outside when I walked past the gate. Somebody to do with radio development, I think.

Many thanks,

Andy

Possibly this guy:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/obituaries/sport-obituaries/6948073/Col-Michael-Kelsey.html

I can't remember if I've already asked you Andy? What have you used for the ballast?

Cheers

Mike

Hi Mike, the ballast is a brand of fine sand that is sold for fish tanks. There is a fairly good discription of the product on post 147. I think I have mentioned before somewhere that I am not that happy with the colour of the the ballast and need to sort it sometime. It's very light so hopefully should be able to apply some weathering.

• 1 month later...

post-1218-0-47613600-1503093185_thumb.jpg

I have now more or less finished the scenery underneath the viaduct, with newly completed buildings, trees and river. I am now coming round to the idea that a backscene is needed. This is something I have never done before and something I was fearing, but I do think some depth is needed behind the viaduct.

post-1218-0-52642800-1503093022_thumb.jpg

The picture above shows the river flowing past some buildings. The water is made up from about seven coats of gloss varnish brushed on. Very small stones from a stream. Washed  and glued with pva.

The following two pictures show the newly installed house that was featured in my previous post.

post-1218-0-57378100-1503093032_thumb.jpg

post-1218-0-03741000-1503093046_thumb.jpg

This next picture shows the river passing under the small stone bridge towards the back of the layout. I'm not too convinced about my attempt at a telegraph pole. Might have to try a bit harder on that one. Also, I think lack of backscene here is very evident.

post-1218-0-01094700-1503093073_thumb.jpg

Another view under the viaduct:

post-1218-0-55817400-1503093096_thumb.jpg

Finally, the picture below  shows what I think will be the last building for the layout. A farm out building with a partially collapsed roof. Simple construction using plain plasticard, with small 'stones' stuck on the outside.

post-1218-0-84033400-1503093009_thumb.jpg

• Like 13

Very nice indeed.

As for the backscene just blue sky would probably not look right?

As we are looking up the valley would there be more trees into the distance so use a wooded backscene?

cheers

I am now coming round to the idea that a backscene is needed. This is something I have never done before and something I was fearing, but I do think some depth is needed behind the viaduct.

I agree that you probably need something in the valley at least Andy and maybe the hint of a horizon above the higher parts (and maybe something to allude to more housing at the left hand end). I've done a few photo backscenes which could be a possibility but for the majority of the valley I think something in the style of Jerry Clifford's wooded backdrops would work well as though you're looking up a wooded valley, from a slightly raised perspective.

Tucking_Mill_Viaduct_2 (2).jpg

I know it's Devon but you may have some spots closer to home worth looking at (as you have some useful valley shapes). If you go to this cemetery and look east up the valley it's got right sort of horizon line - https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.7409209,-2.1995999,179m/data=!3m1!1e3!5m1!1e1- but it would need some more trees in the mid-ground to make it work. Do you know anyone nearby with a 4K drone that could get you a slightly elevated viewpoint?

A quick lash-up with one of your pics and a background from Google Earth from above that cemetery:

Bluebell_background.jpg

• Like 7

Exemplary modelling.

As with regards to a backscene, I agree that an appropriate one will help improve the overall depth but great care needs to be taken to ensure that it does not crowd out the scene, particularly under the viaduct by making it dark and oppressive.

I'd suggest making sure the horizon is kept relatively low, with just sufficient to transition from 3D to 2D and give an impression of depth. The remainder can be a skyscape against which the modelled buildings, trees, viaduct and importantly the trains, will stand out and be viewable rather than lost against and distracted from by a busy back scene behind.

G.

• 1 month later...