Blueball Summit

andy stroud

• RMweb Gold

attachicon.gifIMG_2994.jpg

Finally, a close up of the back scene under the viaduct, showing just how crude it really is, although it is not generally view so close.

many thanks,

Andy

I don't think the backscene, in that example, is necessarily as crude as you maybe feel. I think it blends in perfectly with the buildings in front. I'm not sure how much better you could make it. I think the church tower has good perspective and certainly look spart of the scene.

Well done, your work is an inspiration.

• RMweb Premium

A stunning layout on many levels - quite literally!
The viaduct looks absolutely spot on, reminds me of a combination of Coombe and Forder viaducts nr. Saltash, Cornwall (apologies if I've missed that this was modeled on a real viaduct?).

(apologies if I've missed that this was modeled on a real viaduct?).

Hi Alex, The viaduct isn't based on any real one in particular, although it was influenced by those in the far South West. I have dozens of books including the  Bradford Barton ones featuring diesels  on both the Devon and Cornwall main lines together  with various John Vaughan books. All full of very inspirational pictures. As a teenager in the early 1980s, I remember looking down from many of those viaducts which seemed to tower over the fields and small communities beneath. My viaduct is still plain white plasticard on the other side!

• Like 1

Thankyou everybody for all the kind and encouraging comments. I really do appreciate them.  I see the layout most days and when you see something all the time, it's hard to know just exactly how good or bad it actually is. It's very different from the impact of walking up to a new layout in an exhibition and either liking what you see or just moving on to the next one! Friends who visit always say that it looks good but I always wonder if they would really speak out anyway, dispite me asking for constructive criticism!

Many thanks once again, will post some more pictures soon.

Andy

• Like 1

Are you planning to take it to any shows?

Best Wishes

David

Hi David,

I may take the layout out, but currently I have nothing planned. With my  previous layout, I found myself rushing to get jobs done in time for exhibitions and  I found that did distract from the actual enjoyment of creating the model.  I didn't want that to happen with this layout and so progress has been more relaxed and therefore more enjoyable, with no deadlines to meet.  Although there is still much to do,  the layout is now looking  a bit more scenically complete, so I will give some thought to taking it out.

Many thanks

Andy

• Like 1

Hi David,

I may take the layout out, but currently I have nothing planned. With my  previous layout, I found myself rushing to get jobs done in time for exhibitions and  I found that did distract from the actual enjoyment of creating the model.  I didn't want that to happen with this layout and so progress has been more relaxed and therefore more enjoyable, with no deadlines to meet.  Although there is still much to do,  the layout is now looking  a bit more scenically complete, so I will give some thought to taking it out.

Many thanks

Andy

Hi Andy,

Thanks for your reply. I understand what you say after all, enjoyment should be the priority when it comes to the hobby.

I am sure it would be a welcome addition to any show if and when you feel that what you want to do.

Best Wishes

David

Totally agree, I am finding that modelling is feeling like somewhat of a chore at the moment rather than a fun pass time.

Blueball Summit is really looking good and the time taken is really showing!! The backscene makes a major difference as others have said.

• 4 weeks later...

Brilliant natural composition + fine consistent modelling + excellent scale choice = superb top class model railway layout that looks like a section of a real railway running in the landscape.  An inspiration to all modellers.

G.