Blueball Summit

andy stroud

Hi Andy,

Really lovely work, thanks for taking the time to post the photos.

It's interesting that you are enjoying this layout more without a deadline, but have you given any more thought to potentially exhibiting it?

Cheers

Ben A.

Second that - pure class - a brilliant example of 2mm/N showing what can be achieved

I would like to say a big thankyou for all the replies since yesterday. I am very touched indeed by the  kind messages and encouragement and I am really glad that  people seem to enjoy the pictures.

I have been asked about exhibiting but I currently don't have any plans. I would be interested though in meeting up with other people who are into N gauge 1970s/80s including anyone who is into detailing and weathering. I am still quite new to this scale and keen to meet other like minded people.

My next job on the layout is  to lay a few more tracks in my fiddle yard as currently I only have four! That's only two in each direction!

Many thanks once again,

Andy

• Like 7

Andy, that doesn’t look crude to me. I think one of the most impressive aspects of your layout is the colouring - it just looks ‘right’. I’m interested in your couplings too - is that a hook to couple to standard Rapidos?

Andy, that doesn’t look crude to me. I think one of the most impressive aspects of your layout is the colouring - it just looks ‘right’. I’m interested in your couplings too - is that a hook to couple to standard Rapidos?

The couplings are just a very crude 'hook and bar' made from 0.5 brass rod. Most of the stock on my layout is so fitted and trains remain semi-permanently coupled. Each vehicle has a hook at one end and a bar at the other. A 'hook' is simply a straight piece of 0.5 which sticks out and then bends downwards at 90 degrees (as seen in the Warship picture above). The distance of this bend from the bufferbeam will determine how close the vehicles are coupled. My layout only has shallow curves, even off scene,  otherwise that would be an issue. A 'bar' is just a 'U' shape (see tanker picture on page 10, post 229).  Some of my stock (mostly brake vans) does have Spratt and Wrinkles which will interact. with the aforementioned 'hooks'. This does therefore mean that some shunting can take place.

Edited by andy stroud
  • Like 3

Hi Andy, thanks for the explanation - makes total sense. Simple but effective looking! I’ve pondered couplings for a long time and may think about trying something similar in my 70s era bits. I have made wire hooks that couple to Rapidos but you are still left with them on the wagons.

Hi Andy, thanks for the explanation - makes total sense. Simple but effective looking! I’ve pondered couplings for a long time and may think about trying something similar in my 70s era bits. I have made wire hooks that couple to Rapidos but you are still left with them on the wagons.

The main objective with my layout is to simply stand in front of it and watch trains go past so there is little requirement to shunt or reconfigure trains within the scenic section. My method ensures trains remain coupled. Where i do want to drop a few wagons off in the siding or headhunt, or maybe use the goods loop for a loco change, I find having a  Spratt & Wrinkle fitted brake van attached to the loco does the job. There are a few strategically placed magnets on the layout. I have found the S&W couplings very good and simple to construct/install. I used them previously in 4mm scale. You can paint them black. I have tried the DG couplings but struggled and gave up.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

The main objective with my layout is to simply stand in front of it and watch trains go past....

Think we are all hoping to be able to get the opportunity to do that some time too Andy - stunning layout :yes:

• 4 weeks later...

Andy,just caught up with this masterpiece. I thought your backscene would be better than you thought, and I was right! Any worries you have about definition are unnecessary, because the focus is always on the actual modelling, moving and landscape. A rule of thumb I like is can you see it from 3 feet away( 1 metre).....? If not don't panic!

3ft equals 150 yards in real life at 2mm scale. How much does the eye see at 150 yds? Well done mate. Alan

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Finally, for anyone who is interested,  I will be taking the layout to the forthcoming Cheltenham exhibition on 7th and 8th April.

Many thanks,

Andy

I'm very much looking forward to seeing it there. And I suspect I'm not the only one.

• RMweb Gold

Terrific work Andy - that’s a +1 on coming to see it at the Cheltenham show.

You might want to get them to correct the details having just looked though...

post-3290-0-21704200-1520667527_thumb.jpeg

IMG_2871.jpg

I have been working on some more buildings. The picture above shows a group of seven houses which have been constructed in a single assembly. I felt it would be easier to do it this way due to the way in which they sit in relation to each other with thier different levels. They are built around a lane which rises up. As usual for me, it's all plasticard.

I have also made a little bridge, again from plasicard.

IMG_2870.jpg

I thought I would try something different from embossed plasticard here, so I have stuck the stonework on individuly in order to achieve a more random effect. These were from 0.3 plasticard and actually didn't take that long to do.

IMG_2863.jpg

This next picture shows how the new structures will fit into the layout, under the viaduct. There will be more buildings, both in front of, and behind the viaduct.

IMG_2876.jpg

These cottages are inspired by some local ones at Brimscombe, near Stroud.

IMG_2881.jpg

This was the inspiration, together with the bridge in the foreground. Interestingly, the gable end in the centre of the picture has a chimney, together with a window directly underneath.

IMG_0521.JPG

Many thanks,

hope you like.

Andy

This post has been promoted to an article

Lovely work

• RMweb Gold

Sadly I can't make it to Cheltenham, but the layout is looking stunning Andy!

Good luck with the show, It'll be over before you know it!

Tom. 

Oh no, Cheltenham is quite local to me but I’m away in Manchester that weekend! I would’ve loved to have seen this layout in the flesh. Best of luck - enjoy showing off your work and taking all the compliments!