Blueball Summit

andy stroud

• RMweb Premium

Andy,

I live only 25 mins from Cheltenham so really looking forward to seeing your layout and meeting you. Exhibitions are hard work but really enjoyable. I first took Vale of Oxbury out in 2013 and had similar thoughts of trepidation, now it's the best part of hobby for me. I am out with VOO at Nailsea on 23rd, if you plan to visit stop by and say hello.

Best regards

Carl.

Andy,

I live only 25 mins from Cheltenham so really looking forward to seeing your layout and meeting you. Exhibitions are hard work but really enjoyable. I first took Vale of Oxbury out in 2013 and had similar thoughts of trepidation, now it's the best part of hobby for me. I am out with VOO at Nailsea on 23rd, if you plan to visit stop by and say hello.

Best regards

Carl.

Hi Carl,

Many thanks for your message. I will look forward to meeting you and having a nice chat. I have seen Vale of Oxbury several times, I think last time was at the N gauge show, and it was definately the best layout there. I particularly like the tunnel and the surrounding landscape. I wasn't aware of the Nailsea show, but will now try and pop down.

Andy.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Andy,

I made the trip to Cheltenham today at least partly on the basis that Blueball Summit was there. Have to say I was NOT disappointed. Seeing the layout as a whole, the overall composition, colouring, lighting and presentation all appear spot on. Although I have seen all the pictures on here, and I know how big (small) 2mm/N gauge models are, it's only when you see it 'in the flesh' that you can really appreciate just how tiny and yet perfect all the models, buildings and details are. I think I shook my head quite a bit in disbelief at how this level of quality is possible in this scale. I've just been taken back to a summer's day in the 1970s just watching the trains go by - brilliant!!

Cheers,

Mike

• Like 2

Just back from the Cheltenham show and I have to say what a stunning model. Andrew has taken N/2FS to a another level and I can’t wait to see it again.

Stephen

Totally agree Stephen....I saw BBS yesterday and was blown away seeing it in the flesh, although expectations were obviosly high after following the build on here.

BCNPete and myself have posted photographs in the Cheltenham exhibition advertising thread.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/132280-cheltenham-model-railway-exhibition-7-8-april-2018/&do=findComment&comment=3120404

Despite illness (not contagious) I was determined to get to the exhibition to see the layout on it's debut, but it's big-time payback today.

Randall

• Like 1

I would just like to say thankyou for all of the messages of encouragement. I am both nervous and excited about the show in Cheltenham as I am not part of a club. However, the layout is actually running very nicely at the moment so, fingers crossed, it should all be alright on the night, so to speak. If anybody from here does come to the show, then do please say hello. It is nice to put faces to names who often post on here. I am very shy but I do love to talk about trains!

attachicon.gifIMG_3068.jpg

Unfortunately I couldn't get to Cheltenham today so I am gutted to have missed seeing this, in so many photos posted from the weekend you would struggle to tell this isn't 4mm.

I hope Andy takes this in the constructive way it is is meant but the Land Rover in the picture is way too modern for the layout, that type of Land Rover is from the early 80's so wouldn't be seen near a Hymek or D6300. As both a blue diesel and Land Rover fan it detracts a little on what is an excellent layout.

Edited by 37114

• RMweb Gold

Have a similar issue on Abbptswood! A friend and very loyal supporter has given us a model of his Heritage Landy - one of the last ones off the production line - and he loves to see it on Abbotswood

As you point out Rob its as much an issue with Landies as the trains themselves - but can I offend a friendship of 50 years?

Phil

I think it's time for me to say a few thankyous.

I took the layout to the Cheltenham model railway exhibition over the weekend. I thought the layout itself performed very well indeed and I am very pleased with it. Also, the level of interest that the layout seemed to generate was way beyond all my expectations. It was quite a surprise, but a very pleasant one! It seems that several people made a special journey to see the layout.

First of all, I would like to thank Mike Walker for inviting me to his show. This is my third proper layout and they have all had their first outings at one of Mikes' shows. All the money he raises goes to childens' charities.

A big thankyou to Paul  for his help throughout the whole weekend and to Terry for helping to set up on the Friday, also to Richard Grovenor for helping to pack up and also for the loan of the black cloth at the front of the layout.

It was nice to meet Peter(BCNPete).  His blog about 2mm scale clayhoods and Coombe Junction inspired me greatly and was one of the reasons I finished in 4mm scale and started this project. I also enjoyed chatting to Carl(owner of Vale of Oxbury) about  modelling in general and also to hear about his new layout, Fairford, which he has under construction.  Also from RMweb, it was good to meet and talk to RandyWales and Kevin(Rivercider).

Thanks also to Trevor Hale and Steve Harrod for dropping by regularly throughout the show and also to Mark for the loan of his Lenz handset for the Sunday, to compare with mine.

And just a big thankyou to everyone else who passed by and commented on the layout while at the show.

• Like 6

I hope Andy takes this in the constructive way it is is meant but the Land Rover in the picture is way too modern for the layout, that type of Land Rover is from the early 80's so wouldn't be seen near a Hymek or D6300. As both a blue diesel and Land Rover fan it detracts a little on what is an excellent layout.

Hi Rob, thankyou for your observation regarding the Landrover. I have no problem at all with constructive critisism. I must admit, it was something I was totally unaware of. What year would that Landrover be good from? At the moment I do tend to run trains randomly, but as my fleet of stock and locos expands, I intend to operate a 1970s sequence and then an early 1980s sequence.

• Like 1

Sorry I missed you Andy - have you any other shows planned?

Phil

Hi Phil,

Sorry you were not able to make it. I really enjoy reading all your discussions about 1970s diesels and would love to meet for a chat.  Will stay in touch.

Hi Rob, thankyou for your observation regarding the Landrover. I have no problem at all with constructive critisism. I must admit, it was something I was totally unaware of. What year would that Landrover be good from? At the moment I do tend to run trains randomly, but as my fleet of stock and locos expands, I intend to operate a 1970s sequence and then an early 1980s sequence.

Hi Andy, The model you have is of a 110 Land Rover, the earliest that can represent is 1982. Oxford Diecast do a series 1 Land Rover which is from the Mid 50's and would be suitable for the early to mid 70s although a Series 2 would be most appropriate and were common place throughout the 70s and early 80s. I know Oxford do a Series 2 in 1:76 so they may do one in 1:148 at some point.

Hi Andy, The model you have is of a 110 Land Rover, the earliest that can represent is 1982. Oxford Diecast do a series 1 Land Rover which is from the Mid 50's and would be suitable for the early to mid 70s although a Series 2 would be most appropriate and were common place throughout the 70s and early 80s. I know Oxford do a Series 2 in 1:76 so they may do one in 1:148 at some point.

Thankyou for that, Rob. I have just looked at the Oxford Diecast website and seen their n gauge Landrover. I can see that it is different to the one I have.

• Like 1

. Do you have any other shows lined up for it?

Tom.

Hi Tom,

At this moment in time, I don't have any more shows lined up. I have been lucky to receive some invites however I would like to make a little more progress before the layout goes out again. Some more details on the layout itself are needed but also I need to work on creating a few more trains, especially as this is a 'watch the trains go by' type of layout. I am looking forward to investigating various rolling stock kits, possibly 2mm society/  Harris etc. This will be all new to me. Some form of remote control of the storage sidings needs to be arranged as well, as I do prefer to operate from the front of the layout.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Hi Tom,

At this moment in time, I don't have any more shows lined up. I have been lucky to receive some invites however I would like to make a little more progress before the layout goes out again. Some more details on the layout itself are needed but also I need to work on creating a few more trains, especially as this is a 'watch the trains go by' type of layout. I am looking forward to investigating various rolling stock kits, possibly 2mm society/  Harris etc. This will be all new to me. Some form of remote control of the storage sidings needs to be arranged as well, as I do prefer to operate from the front of the layout.

I liken your layout to Pete Goss's World's End Andy.....but in 2mm. I'm really looking forward to seeing it one day. It would be funny if we ended up next to each other at the same show......we'd both have the same tunnel!  :laugh:

• Like 1

Hi Andy

Just stumbled across your thread and I was unable to get to Mike's show due to grandchildren duties all week-end! I wanted to add my congratulations and to add that a friend of mine saw it on Saturday and has given  glowing reviews and I must say it looks a superb layout!

exmoordave

Hi Andy

Just stumbled across your thread and I was unable to get to Mike's show due to grandchildren duties all week-end! I wanted to add my congratulations and to add that a friend of mine saw it on Saturday and has given  glowing reviews and I must say it looks a superb layout!

exmoordave

Hi Andy

Like exemoordave, I have only just found this thread, Inspirational modelling.

Please post when you next intend to exhibit, if it's atall within reach it would certainly be worth the trip.

Pete T

Hi Andy,

it was good to be able to see Blueball at the weekend, and I enjoyed our chat.

The pictures posted above show the layout very nicely, but I think it is even better when seen for real.

You have captured the effect of the railway in the landscape, and it is great to just stand and watch the trains go by.

From our conversation I know you have a lot of work ahead of you to get the fiddle yards filled, that is going to be a lot of wagons!

Hopefully I will get the chance to see the layout again some day and watch the trains go by,

cheers

Kevin

Hi Andy,

it was good to be able to see Blueball at the weekend, and I enjoyed our chat.

The pictures posted above show the layout very nicely, but I think it is even better when seen for real.

You have captured the effect of the railway in the landscape, and it is great to just stand and watch the trains go by.

From our conversation I know you have a lot of work ahead of you to get the fiddle yards filled, that is going to be a lot of wagons!

Hopefully I will get the chance to see the layout again some day and watch the trains go by,

cheers

Kevin

Hi Kevin.

It was great to meet you, too, and to be able to put a face to the name that has been posting all those mouth-watering and highly inspirational pictures on various threads of early 1980s freight trains around the Western Region.

Edited by andy stroud

• 1 month later...

Hello Andy, perhaps time for another update on behalf of your many followers.

Kevin

Hi Kevin,

Not a lot to report really. The layout is currently packed away. I guess I'm having a bit of of a summer break from it, although I am keen to get going again.

One thing I have done, is aquire some wagon kits from the N gauge Society. I have about 30 kits of various wooden bodied opens to make up the 6V53 southbound clayliner. I particularly like the ones with corrugated ends  (like in the 3rd picture, post 354).  I may use Farish chassis but I want to try brass ones from the 2mm Society. The wagons should have roller bearings.  I also have a few more 21ton hoppers to build. These are another wagon type that I am very fond of although not too common in the far South West in blue diesel days.  Having said that, I have seen a picture of a blue Peak pulling a long rake of them at Cowley Bridge Junction, probably going to Exmouth Junction.

I am also looking forward to trying some brass wagon kits sometime soon.

Andy

• Like 2