Blueball Summit

andy stroud

• RMweb Premium

One thing I have done, is aquire some wagon kits from the N gauge Society. I have about 30 kits of various wooden bodied opens to make up the 6V53 southbound clayliner. I particularly like the ones with corrugated ends  (like in the 3rd picture, post 354).  I may use Farish chassis but I want to try brass ones from the 2mm Society. The wagons should have roller bearings. 

Andy

Andy,

The ex-Parkwood Highfits make up into nice wagons especially when combined with Association underframes which are, incidentally, in nickel silver which is the preferred medium in 2mm scale.

Here's a couple of mine. One has the standard 4-shoe underframe for a BR wagon and the other is from the LMS build from which, with a couple of small differences, from which the BR design was derived. I built these a while ago and the Association has some rather nicer buffers these days.

post-9616-0-40530400-1527941553_thumb.jpg

post-9616-0-68141700-1527941572_thumb.jpg

Love the layout by the way, although the locos would be greener and redder for my preference  :yes:

David 

• Like 8

Andy,

The ex-Parkwood Highfits make up into nice wagons especially when combined with Association underframes which are, incidentally, in nickel silver which is the preferred medium in 2mm scale.

Here's a couple of mine. One has the standard 4-shoe underframe for a BR wagon and the other is from the LMS build from which, with a couple of small differences, from which the BR design was derived. I built these a while ago and the Association has some rather nicer buffers these days.

attachicon.gif026.JPG

attachicon.gif027.JPG

Love the layout by the way, although the locos would be greener and redder for my preference  :yes:

David 

Hi David.

Many thanks for the pictures and details of your wagons. They look really nice. I havent  built any 2mm etched kits yet, but it's one of the next things for me to try. From the Association and also Stephen Harris hopefully.  I have already done two or three of the highfits earlier in the year, using Farish chassis but this option would be far too expensive for a long clayliner rake but also once I have experienced etched chassis/wagon construction, that should open up more options for more wagon types.

These two have Farish chassis but I'm hoping my next ones will be etched chassis and I'd like to try roller bearings.

post-1218-0-16867100-1528024960_thumb.jpg

Edited by andy stroud
  • Like 14
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 2 months later...

Hi Andy,

I just stumbled across your layout and I couldn’t help but look through your thread from start to finish. With every picture all I could think was WOW. The level of realism in your layout is outstanding and the scenery is full of interest. you've given me plenty of ideas and motivation. Thanks for sharing.

Kind regards

Dave

• Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...

Some great work there Andy.

Regarding the 24.5t minerals, I remember we did get them going to the ROF at Huntspill/Puriton, though not often.

The ROF received regular consignments of coal from Gedling colliery which normally came in 16t minerals.

Occasionally there was a batch of 24.5t minerals mixed in with them. The empties always went back north.

cheers

Some great work there Andy.

Regarding the 24.5t minerals, I remember we did get them going to the ROF at Huntspill/Puriton, though not often.

The ROF received regular consignments of coal from Gedling colliery which normally came in 16t minerals.

Occasionally there was a batch of 24.5t minerals mixed in with them. The empties always went back north.

cheers

Thanks Kevin, that's very useful information on 24.5 tonners.

• 4 weeks later...

A few more 21t hoppers for the layout. These are from N gauge Society kits. I like the 'rebodied' versions of this wagon and they were beginning to become quite common in the 1970s. The kit itself builds into the original body with the five stantions along the side. I filed these off and used 0.5 microstrip to depict the rebuilds. In the picture below, the third wagon along is an 'original' build.

When I built a rake of 21T hoppers from the Society kit many years ago, they represented the unfitted version. I laboriously converted them to the fitted version with the end supports added using microstrip, and vacuum cylinders from other redundant kits. Does the kit now have the option of the fitted version, or did you do the same as me ? 

They look excellent by the way

When I built a rake of 21T hoppers from the Society kit many years ago, they represented the unfitted version. I laboriously converted them to the fitted version with the end supports added using microstrip, and vacuum cylinders from other redundant kits. Does the kit now have the option of the fitted version, or did you do the same as me ?

They look excellent by the way

Hi Steve

The kits still come as the unfitted version. I used micro strip to make the end supports and then slid the vacuum cylinders into place after the wagons had been painted as this made the painting easier. I also thinned the top of the wagon sides and ends before assembling.

Edited by andy stroud

• 1 month later...

Hi Andy,

The layout is looking fantastic and loving the atmospheric shots. On your etched 2mm association chassis, are you using association wheel sets or N gauge wheel sets?

Best regards,

Jeremy

Hi Jeremy, they are N gauge wheelsets from the 2mm association.

• 4 months later...