Blueball Summit

andy stroud

Amazing little details Andy, I love the post box and the chickens! The weathering on the caravan is great. It's also nice to see it 'naked', to see both the construction and also that it's not just my scratch builds that have the odd little scar in the plastic under the paint!

Jo

• Thanks 1

Just found this topic, and although 2mm isn't my thing, I'm blown away.

You, sir, are not just a modeller but a very talented artist. You have an eye for depth of field, correct placment and line that just makes your whole model real, to the beholder. It flows. It is natural.

I cannot believe how parts have been altered and yet the new additions become part of the reality.

Told you I was blown away.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
On 14/04/2019 at 22:27, andy stroud said:

Hi, here are a few more pictures, showing things that I have  recently made for the layout.

The first picture shows the scene beneath the viaduct and the new addition is........

20190320_173517.jpg.1e439e745b47829dd5765a9845cd2947.jpg

Dare I say that this image is Pendon-esque?......

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, rob D2 said:

Wow, 

Thats pretty much the pinnacle of 2mm, right there !

The comments are very kind but although my models probably create a reasonable overall scene, they are actually fairly crude when viewed in closeup. For really top class modelling in 2mm scale, then take a look at some of the layouts and modelling on the dedicated 2mm section of this forum under 'Scale specific'. There is some really skillful model making going on there. Things like scratch built locomotives and panelled coaching stock, working signals and locomotive valve gear. These are things that  I would be simply embarrassed to compare my efforts with.  Having said all that, it does please me  to know that some people  enjoy looking at my models, as that's what all this is about- enjoying yourself and  having fun!

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• 1 month later...

I think the shots of the local DMU leaving the station and even more so the Peak hauled express passing through manage to capture that elusive, but all important,sense of Time & Place as well, if not better than any model layout pictures I have ever seen.

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

Hi Andy,

I have just found your thread. Your scratch built buildings are an inspiration. The layout demonstrates the wonder of N scale modelling . The most notable feature is the absence  of the flat baseboard, the same as I have done on my layout. I do despair when I see a new layout with the track laid on the wall to wall flat board with absolutely  nothing below track level... if ever there was an advert to make a realistic (fictional) model showing the benefits of N this must surely be it.

well done Andy . I am following your thread now.

Cheers

Duncan

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Duncan. said:

Hi Andy,

I have just found your thread. Your scratch built buildings are an inspiration. The layout demonstrates the wonder of N scale modelling . The most notable feature is the absence  of the flat baseboard, the same as I have done on my layout. I do despair when I see a new layout with the track laid on the wall to wall flat board with absolutely  nothing below track level... if ever there was an advert to make a realistic (fictional) model showing the benefits of N this must surely be it.

well done Andy . I am following your thread now.

Cheers

Duncan

Hi Duncan,

Thankyou for your message and thoughts about ground levels. Like you, I also feel that many layouts are let down by being 'too flat'.  Ground above the trackbed level can be built up at anytime but ground that is lower than the railway has to be allowed for at the time of the initial baseboard design and construction. It is not difficult and the end results are so pleasing.

Hi Andy,

Oh one thing I forgot to ask, how did you get the weathering effects on the underside of your viaduct. I have a viaduct on Shirebrook, although of far smaller dimensions, am I right in thinking you did this before final installation on the layout?

Cheers

Duncan

6 hours ago, Duncan. said:

Hi Andy,

Oh one thing I forgot to ask, how did you get the weathering effects on the underside of your viaduct. I have a viaduct on Shirebrook, although of far smaller dimensions, am I right in thinking you did this before final installation on the layout?

Cheers

Duncan

Hi Duncan, the viaduct was built from plasticard and then painted before fixing it into place on the layout. I used a light coloured car aerosol as a base  colour to represent a hint of mortar and then dry brushed the brick colours over the top. Maybe some of the white weathering streaks could be toned down a little.