Blueball Summit

andy stroud

Hi Andy,

Here are a couple of photos of my scratch built bridges...plasticard over mounting board. I don't have a pic of my viaduct, I'll have to see to that! Appreciate your comments good or bad.

41970434991_9145717f20_o.jpg

39898189771_c4fccc740b_o.jpg

• Like 13
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

2 hours ago, Duncan. said:

Hi Andy,

Here are a couple of photos of my scratch built bridges...plasticard over mounting board. I don't have a pic of my viaduct, I'll have to see to that! Appreciate your comments good or bad.

41970434991_9145717f20_o.jpg

39898189771_c4fccc740b_o.jpg

Duncan I do like the stonework on that bridge in your second picture. It's a nice layout, I have looked at your thread  before. I like your coal trains. I do have a soft spot for coal trains but there were never that many in the west country during the BR blue period. Nevertheless, that doesn't stop me from from running them!

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Andy

What an amazing journey through your project. I'm relatively new to the hobby, and wondered if you could tell me what you use as the base for your "modular" building groups? I've been trying to do the same thing on my own layout so that I can build scenic sections away from the layout, but I've had problems with warping. I started off with 2mm cardstock, so I suppose I was my own worst enemy with that idea. It seems very dumb in hindsight.

Thanks for the fantastic inspiration.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, LASteve said:

Hi Andy

What an amazing journey through your project. I'm relatively new to the hobby, and wondered if you could tell me what you use as the base for your "modular" building groups? I've been trying to do the same thing on my own layout so that I can build scenic sections away from the layout, but I've had problems with warping. I started off with 2mm cardstock, so I suppose I was my own worst enemy with that idea. It seems very dumb in hindsight.

Thanks for the fantastic inspiration.

Hi Steve, many thanks for your kind comments.  The scenic area of my layout is built on two baseboards, each five feet in length.  Each consists of a flat frame made in 2 x 1 inch timber. Cross members every 12inches or so. Then the trackbed was built up from this. The trackbed itself is chipboard, supported every 12 inches or so from the frame with bits of timber, thus preventing any sagging.  The first few pictures on page one of this thread are the only pictures I have of the baseboards but they show the construction quite well. To be honest, it is probably over-engineered but it is very strong which is essential if the layout  is moved about from place to place. There are other methods and many people use plywood for baseboards.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • Moderators
On 17/09/2019 at 22:36, jonas said:

I’ve yet to see it in the flesh but this is one of the most stunning n gauge layouts out there. Absolutely beautiful.

If you get a chance to see it, do so. It is, by a good distance, the best N gauge layout I have ever photographed and in the top two of any that I know of - but the other one is not finished yet but what's done is similarly excellent. 

• Like 4
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Premium

It's been said before but this is where N really does come into it's own. Such a sense of scale with the viaduct, lengthy trains and the general surroundings. I don't think I've ever seen static grass so well achieved in this scale. The double-headed 37s on the coal train for me is the best.

I've surely missed it back in the pages of time but what is the track work?

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, maq1988 said:

I've surely missed it back in the pages of time but what is the track work?

It's 'Easitrac' from the 2mm Association which basically consists of 40 thou rail which you thread onto small lengths of plastic webbing to effectively make up eighteen inch lengths of flexible track. However, the track was laid six years ago and since then a new product called FiNetrax has become available which I believe consists of 40 thou flexible track together with some pointwork.

• Agree 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 05/10/2018 at 18:59, sammyboy said:

Wow - what a fantastic layout you have!

This needs to be photographed and shown to the world in a modelling magazine.

Sam

I see it's in the Model Railway Journal (in W H Smith at the moment) with some nice pictures .

On 21/09/2019 at 10:19, andy stroud said:

Here is a short 4 minute video of my layout.  Nothing fancy, just done on a phone with some corny music added, but I do think it does capture the feel of the layout  quite well. It is three years since I posted the last video. 

Also, as Jerry mentioned earlier, I will be taking the layout to the Uckfield exhibition on 19th & 20th October.

Hi Andy,

Cracking modeling. One of my favorite layouts, if one day I end up learning enough to make layouts even half as realistic as you've managed I'd be happy. 

I just watched the above video again and one thing that jumped out was how good the locos look when coupled as closely as you have managed. The blue 37s running double header stand out especially. Sorry if you have already posted this somewhere, but how have you managed this? Do you have issues on curves/points in the fiddle yard? 

All the best

Dave

• RMweb Gold
On 21/09/2019 at 09:19, andy stroud said:

Here is a short 4 minute video of my layout.  Nothing fancy, just done on a phone with some corny music added, but I do think it does capture the feel of the layout  quite well. It is three years since I posted the last video. 

Also, as Jerry mentioned earlier, I will be taking the layout to the Uckfield exhibition on 19th & 20th October.

Cracking video Andy - you cant beat trains in the scenery ! Thanks for sharing

• Thanks 1

• 5 months later...
On 21/09/2019 at 09:19, andy stroud said:

I've only just come across this.  Wonderful video of one of my favourite layouts.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1