Blueball Summit

andy stroud

• RMweb Gold

lovely careful work very nicely done. I am sure a tomix motor and parts from one of the chassis will allow self propelling.  For along time they were towed to and from sites by a loco. Class 7 45mph springs to mind but that could well be wrong. Only recently have they been allowed to play on their own - so quite often rest of job stopped when they have a tantrum and expire on the main line.  Luckily many are crewed by a fitter driver.   So having your 07 towed by a 31 or similar will be prototypical.  

Still in awe at what you have produced, a great eye for right !       

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Lovely job. Always nice to see something cut out of raw brass. They kinda look more impressive unpainted to folks who know how much effort goes in... but all of us put paint on sooner or later.

The only other model I've seen was built by Jim Allwood. I don't know the full story but I think his was made from a heavily modified kit, one of the modifications being to motorise it. There is a pic of Jim's at http://www.2mm.org.uk/layouts/weltondown/index.html

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Fantastic stuff. I recall a comment in the past that the sheets from empty wagons were often carried in a van, so incorporating the Vanwide in the clay train is a nice touch.

I still think you're having us on though, these are really 4mm scale. You've just bought a fake double size hand for the picture where you're holding the wagon.... :mosking:

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Funny 2

12 hours ago, Ramblin Rich said:

Fantastic stuff. I recall a comment in the past that the sheets from empty wagons were often carried in a van, so incorporating the Vanwide in the clay train is a nice touch.

I still think you're having us on though, these are really 4mm scale. You've just bought a fake double size hand for the picture where you're holding the wagon.... :mosking:

Hi Rich. That is my understanding as well, that a van was sometimes used for the empty sheets. I have seen pictures of the train, consisting of a long line of open wagons with just a single van somewhere in the consist. That is the train formation I am aiming for although other wagons were often included such as vans, coal, oil tanks and presflows especially south of Exeter, it seems. Somewhere, I have seen a picture of the southbound clayliner with a mark1 coach at the front of the formation.

Regarding the size of the models, because they are small, personally, I tend to simply leave out certain details so in many respects,  it is easier than 4mm.  Other modellers will work to much higher levels  of detail in this scale.

• Like 3

Nice to see recent progress on the layout and its projects. Super modelling.

32 minutes ago, andy stroud said:

Regarding the size of the models, because they are small, personally, I tend to simply leave out certain details so in many respects,  it is easier than 4mm.  Other modellers will work to much higher levels  of detail in this scale.

And some of us, unfortunately, have to leave out even more detail when working in N. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, grahame said:

Nice to see recent progress on the layout and its projects. Super modelling.

And some of us, unfortunately, have to leave out even more detail when working in N. 

The skill is knowing what to leave to others imagineering skills.....  

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
On 02/05/2020 at 08:27, D869 said:

Lovely job. Always nice to see something cut out of raw brass. They kinda look more impressive unpainted to folks who know how much effort goes in... but all of us put paint on sooner or later.

The only other model I've seen was built by Jim Allwood. I don't know the full story but I think his was made from a heavily modified kit, one of the modifications being to motorise it. There is a pic of Jim's at http://www.2mm.org.uk/layouts/weltondown/index.html

Hi

This is mine built from the N’thusiast kit which I assume is the same as Jim’s.

02F238AA-E48A-408C-AC81-C0769A5C13B2.jpeg.4134e4239fafafbab3833963ac43142b.jpeg

Cheers

Paul

• Like 7

15 hours ago, PaulCheffus said:

Hi

This is mine built from the N’thusiast kit which I assume is the same as Jim’s.

02F238AA-E48A-408C-AC81-C0769A5C13B2.jpeg.4134e4239fafafbab3833963ac43142b.jpeg

Cheers

Paul

Hi Paul.

That looks very smart. Thankyou for posting.  It is a model of the later version of the 07-16 featuring a slightly different design including tappered front windscreen which, I must admit, I do actually prefer and I was very tempted to model. However, I did in the end choose to go for the older, more ugly, version with a rectangular front window as  I felt that type of tamper seemed more appropriate for my layout, often seen  lurking in the sidings in the backgrounds of  pictures of my favourite locations such as Exeter or Whiteball Summit during the 1970s.

Looks like yours has some nice transfers as well.

Cheers

Andrew

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, andy stroud said:

Hi Paul.

That looks very smart. Thankyou for posting.  It is a model of the later version of the 07-16 featuring a slightly different design including tappered front windscreen which, I must admit, I do actually prefer and I was very tempted to model. However, I did in the end choose to go for the older, more ugly, version with a rectangular front window as  I felt that type of tamper seemed more appropriate for my layout, often seen  lurking in the sidings in the backgrounds of  pictures of my favourite locations such as Exeter or Whiteball Summit during the 1970s.

Looks like yours has some nice transfers as well.

Cheers

Andrew

Hi Andrew

Thanks, and it is indeed the later version . The transfers were custom printed for me from my own artwork. I am planning on getting some more transfers done for a few other projects and will be including a set of the Tamper transfers for someone else so I could add a set for you.

Cheers

Paul

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, PaulCheffus said:

Hi Andrew

Thanks, and it is indeed the later version . The transfers were custom printed for me from my own artwork. I am planning on getting some more transfers done for a few other projects and will be including a set of the Tamper transfers for someone else so I could add a set for you.

Cheers

Paul

Thats very kind of you. That would be nice.  It would improve the front end appearance no end! As you can see, I improvised and used various wagon transers!

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

Hi Andy,

I hope you are keeping well. I really like the weathering /fading on the 47 I think it is difficult to capture on 2t green locos in N without becoming 'muddy', but I'm not so sure about the 37, but that's a hellishly difficult prototype photo to copy.

Cheers

Duncan

• Thanks 1

Hi, Andy

Thank you very much for the latest update on your excellent layout. On seeing the green Tops-numbered 47, I was thinking how nice it would be to see one of the numerous Immingham ones which were local to me in the 70s. Absolutely amazed on zooming in on the pic to see it was 47220. A bit off-route - I wish I'd been on that excursion train - but great to see one of the 47212-224 batch reproduced so well. Blue class panel a superb touch. Excellent work, and thanks again for many happy hours of entertainment reading this thread and watching your videos. (47220 on the next vid, please?)

Regards

Steve

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1