Blueball Summit

andy stroud

• 1 month later...

Hi, I've been enjoying your work for a little while now... ;-)  Just wondered whether you have tried Redutex? I've recently started using it and it strikes me it would be very good for that stonework.

regards

Ian

• RMweb Gold

Really nice work, the individual random stones especially!

This was the inspiration, together with the bridge in the foreground. Interestingly, the gable end in the centre of the picture has a chimney, together with a window directly underneath.

You'd probably best keep that picture close at hand for when people tell you that real buildings wouldn't be like that.... ;)

Really nice work, the individual random stones especially!

You'd probably best keep that picture close at hand for when people tell you that real buildings wouldn't be like that.... ;)

Thankyou, Rich. Dispite having my eye on those cottages for a little while, I didn't actually spot the window/chimney combination until i was making up my drawings from my pictures. It's an interesting feature though. The chimney must run up the side of the window and then move across to the centre of the roof.

• Like 1

Chimneys rarely go straight up from hearth to pot - other wise the rain would put the fire out!

They normally have a dog leg in them.

Thanks, I guess that's a fair point. Here is another view showing the gable I mentioned, with the window underneath the chimney.

post-1218-0-86216200-1490305181.jpg

Edited by andy stroud
  • Like 4

I am "guessing" but on that wall is a diagonal patch/streak of lighter stone on the left hand of the wall, heading up to the base of the chimney stack.

I think that is where the chimney will be routed :)

Edited by LBRJ
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

post-1218-0-51664800-1493244289_thumb.jpg

I have finished the group of buildings that I had first shown last month. This has mostly involved painting, fitting windows and roofs. The windows are mainly brass etches from Ratio or N Scale brass, although those on the cream building are 0.3 microstrip. The roofs are thin strips of paper.

The picture above was taken yesterday in the sunshine in the garden.

post-1218-0-43940300-1493244304_thumb.jpg

This picture shows a view looking down the 'street'.

I have now started to install the new structure into the layout. I have also started a small test board to experiment with new (for me) river making technics. On my previous layout I used resin quite succesfully for a canal scene but this time I want to try layers of varnish for a river as I am looking for a different  effect.

post-1218-0-64616100-1493244321_thumb.jpg

This view shows the backs of some of the buildings, seen from under the viaduct. White plaster where the new structure is being blended in to the existing hillside.

post-1218-0-77705200-1493244333_thumb.jpg

This view shows things starting to take shape under the viaduct.  I think next will be a house to the right of the viaduct.

post-1218-0-72189800-1493244404_thumb.jpg

Andy

• Like 19

Truly magical! You must be a wizard or something because those buildings are to O gauge standards even though they're N gauge....I'm speechless. Without a doubt, one of the best layouts I've ever laid eyes upon!

Well that is a very kind comment indeed, but believe me, there are plenty of N gauge and  2mm scale models that I would be simply embarressed to compare mine with. I get very inspired and influenenced by certain modellers and I do try to achieve a good standard myself but in reality, especially when examined closely, my models  can be pretty crude at times and my methods are often something of a bodge. What I do hope I have some success in is creating an overal reasonable effect and somewhere through which I can enjoy watching my trains going past.

Andy

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I think you are selling yourself short; those buildings, in fact the whole layout is mightily impressive and what comes across is the consistency in all aspects being to a high standard.

I'll admit that I tend to think 'N Gauge.... meh' with a few exceptions and this is definitely an exception.

• Like 1