Blueball Summit

andy stroud

• 3 months later...

Great work as always Andy. I think you have captured the appearance of the two wagon types well.

It is a shame about the underframe of the plate wagon, but the general appearance especially of the 

bodywork is nicely done.

Plate wagons often appeared in the West Country, with occasional consignments of steel plate to Barnstaple for Appledore Shipyard in blocks of six or more, also singly conveying things like machinery or vehicles - I think the MOD received some traffic in them. The 21t minerals appeared in ones or twos with domestic coal for Ponsandane and St Austell coal depots. Fitted MDVs still ran down there until about 1983.

cheers   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

6 hours ago, Rivercider said:

Great work as always Andy. I think you have captured the appearance of the two wagon types well.

It is a shame about the underframe of the plate wagon, but the general appearance especially of the 

bodywork is nicely done.

Plate wagons often appeared in the West Country, with occasional consignments of steel plate to Barnstaple for Appledore Shipyard in blocks of six or more, also singly conveying things like machinery or vehicles - I think the MOD received some traffic in them. The 21t minerals appeared in ones or twos with domestic coal for Ponsandane and St Austell coal depots. Fitted MDVs still ran down there until about 1983.

cheers   

Hi Kevin.  Many thanks for your message. I must admit that I wasn't too sure if plate wagons worked much in the West Country.  I built it simply because I liked the look of them and I thought the low level of the bodywork would look good as part of a mixed freight.  As usual your information is most useful.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Windjabbers said:

Always good to see an update on your work Andy, Do you have any plans for future exhibitions? Would love to see this one in person?

Best Wishes

David

Hi David,

Thankyou for your kind message. I dont currently have any plans for exhibitions but these are unusual times. 

• Friendly/supportive 3

39 minutes ago, andy stroud said:

Hi Kevin.  Many thanks for your message. I must admit that I wasn't too sure if plate wagons worked much in the West Country.  I built it simply because I liked the look of them and I thought the low level of the bodywork would look good as part of a mixed freight.  As usual your information is most useful.

Their main use was for steel plate, so not so often seen in the West Country except going to Barnstaple. By the mid 1970s unfitted plates (TOPS code SPO) were becoming rare. I started in Bristol TOPS in 1978 and the steel plate traffic for Appledore was in vacuum fitted SPVs by then. Traffic levels obviously depended on what the shipyard was building, but my memory says that a consignment of perhaps 15-20 wagons would arrive over two or three days. Once the new build air braked SPAs were available they took over.

My memory suggests plate wagons might have also conveyed crated goods to or from the MOD at Ernesettle or Devonport. By the 1970s the civil engineering wagon fleet included some also.

Another similar wagon was the lowfit, which I think was commonly used to covey things like agricultural machinery. Were they also used to load the compressors manufactured by Holman Brothers at Camborne which were sometimes loaded to rail at Drump Lane?

cheers

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Rivercider said:

Plate wagons often appeared in the West Country, with occasional consignments of steel plate to Barnstaple for Appledore Shipyard in blocks of six or more, also singly conveying things like machinery or vehicles - I think the MOD received some traffic in them.

Plate wagons also worked through to Falmouth Docks carrying steel plate for ship repairs.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, Rivercider said:

bodywork is nicely done.

cheers   

I wouldn't be surprised if Devonport Dockyard,  didn't have steel plate deliveries into the late 70s or early 80s, we (boilermakers) got through a fair bit of 1/4 (6mm) plus plate and no doubt shipwrights did as well. Demarcation lines were not the same as civilian shipyards.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi Andy. I’m new to the forum, and came to your layout via a search for N Gauge and looking for viaducts. I’m considering modelling a layout broadly on Mansfield’s station in the 50’s/60’s (with some artistic licence). 

You viaduct is noticeably similar in many aspects, but a main difference is no water, and more industrial and shops near to the one in Mansfield. 

I’m not sure I’ll ever be able to get near your scratch building and weathering skills, but a thought I had was to get hold of some pre-loved stock to practice on. 

The other thing that caused me to pause for further planning thought was the comment you and Duncan, from the Shirebrook model, mentioned re modelling below track level. 

Thank you for posting your layout updates, and also sharing some of the techniques you use. I’d best start getting some modelling kit together!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Davexoc said:

So we now know what Bachmann will announce next week!

The later version of the class 25, or it will be the class 117 DMU, as I'm working on that at the moment....

Yes, great news everybody,  Farish are about to announce a later bodied class 25.

• Funny 2

• RMweb Premium

Superb work. I cheated with my 25/3 car body by modelling one of the four boiler fitted examples which meant I could use the existing Farish chassis and just alter the 25/2 body.

EAF0BAF2-1CD0-49C8-9AB1-FE4B043A54E8.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, acg5324 said:

Superb work. I cheated with my 25/3 car body by modelling one of the four boiler fitted examples which meant I could use the existing Farish chassis and just alter the 25/2 body.

EAF0BAF2-1CD0-49C8-9AB1-FE4B043A54E8.jpeg

Well I cheated with mine as well.  The Farish mechanism works so well and I have transplanted it into my own chassis.

Here is is short 30 second clip of the loco running. Taken on the first evening of running before its glazing had properly dried.

• Like 10

Hi Andy.

I’ve kept this page open for a couple of days and read through it from the beginning to the end now. It’s been really interesting reading all of it and having only properly got into N gauge about three years ago I appreciate threads like this because it shows what can be done with this scale.

It reminds me of my very early childhood in Cornwall in the 1970s I must say.

Thanks for explaining your methods, I might come back and ask some questions at some point!

Nick

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1