Blueball Summit

andy stroud

Hi Andy have you got any photos of the viaduct under construction

John

Hi John.

Sadly I no longer have any pictures of the viaduct contruction. I did have a few, but I lost them a few months ago when my previous computer gave up the ghost and, rather stupidly, there were quite a few pictures that I hadn't copied. What I can tell you is that it is made entirely from sheets of 40 thou plasticard and then faced with brick embossed plasticard on the the visible side. The back of the viaduct is still plain white plasticard! There are wires running along the back of the viaduct that connect to the track as easitrac sections are only eighteen inches in length with no joiners. The structure is heavily braced internally and is actually very strong. You can push down quite hard on top! One half is straight and the other half, near the tunnel, is on a curve. 

Many thanks,

Andy

Edited by andy stroud
  • Like 1

Hi Jeremy,

Thankyou for your kind comments. Weathering on the clayhoods is just white paint, combination of drybrushing and airbrush. Underneath the weathering though, the painting is roughly along the lines of an old article in RAIL mag by Ian Metcalfe.  Basically it's Humbrol No. 72 for the bare body, with odd panks and strapping Brick red No. 70. Tank grey No.67 for black patches and Humbrol blue No. 109 for the hoods. The hoods are actually plasicard but I have tried to shape some of them to depict a bit of a 'sag' in the middle. Then I then brushed on a couple of layers of 'plasticard sludge' (chopped up pieces of plasticard left overnight in a small bottle of solvent ) to give a bit of texture.

Many thanks

andy

Edited by andy stroud
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

I've just noticed it's exactly 1 year since your first post on the thread! You've certainly achieved the 'railway in the landscape' effect and the overall effect is very convincing. Thanks also for the details on clayhood weathering, I'll have to try the 'sludge texture' effect in 4mm scale...

I've just noticed it's exactly 1 year since your first post on the thread! You've certainly achieved the 'railway in the landscape' effect and the overall effect is very convincing. Thanks also for the details on clayhood weathering, I'll have to try the 'sludge texture' effect in 4mm scale...

Hi Rich,

The Ian Metcalfe article that I mentioned was in fact based on detailing the 4mm scale ratio kit. He did lots of clayhoods for his layout called 'Pengwynn Crossing' which was based in Cornwall.

He used tissue paper (as used in model aircraft) for his hoods as this sticks out a bit on the corners and over the iron work and gives extra character. He then applied the 'sludge'. I used that method on my Oldshaw clayhoods and was very pleased with the results. For my N gauge ones, I didn't bother with the tissue as I felt the folds on the corners would be too pronounced.

Many thanks,

andy

Edited by andy stroud

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Andy, I liked the look of the 'hoods on Olshaw (and plenty else too) so that must be a good method :) Does Oldshaw still exist?

Thanks also for the link to your 'really good trains' site, the pictures on the Barnstaple line are very helpful for my schemes....

Andy,

Only just found this thread.  Have to say that being (relatively) modern image it's not my usual cup of tea (I'm a pre-grouping kind of guy really), but I've just had a very enjoyable few minutes reading from the beginning.  Your attention to detail is admirable, and very realistic.  What I really like is that it is not N Gauge (or any other scale for that matter) out of the box, I love the bridges/tunnel and your signal box and foot bridge are delightful.

In short a real inspiration!!!  I've added it to my "Follow" list.

Ian

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi Rich, thanks for your reply. Yes Oldshaw does still exist. It now belongs to a  lovely couple in Essex who do take it out to shows still, together  with their own rather excellent 'Warren Lane' layout.

Come on Andy give us all a peek at whats been going on with the layout please, its been a while.

Kevin

Hi Guys, thankyou all so much for the comments since I last posted.

Scenically, there are no real developments on the layout but I have spent the last couple of months making and working on four new non-scenic boards which form the layout into a continuous run. These new boards comprise of two which form a ten feet length of  storage sidings and two other sections which are both 'C' shaped semi circular with a diameter of four feet. I have laid the off-scene track in peco. Work on these new sections is now complete and trains are now running on a continuous circuit.This is something that I had thought would take just a couple of weeks but seems to have taken forever. I am though, very pleased with the results and after some initial teething problems, I am able to watch trains pass by very smoothly indeed. I  am able to use the dcc controller to run two trains at the same time. Great fun and something that is very new to me as my previous layouts have all been single track branch lines operated on dc. Also, I have made some covers for the curved section which connects to the back of the tunnel so now when you look into the tunnel mouth, there is complete darkness, which is an effect that I was keen to achieve. Due to the high backscene on the scenic section (plain white!), all the non-scenic sections are hidden from view. Having satisfied myself that I am really pleased with the way it seems to be running, I have decided to sell all my remaining EM gauge stock and just stick with this project. Back to the scenic side, there are lots buildings to make to fill the many empty spaces.

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold

Hi,

Fantastic layout - I'm planning, and re-planning.....and re-planning..... a continuous run in my garage at the moment as a glorified running in line for my locos and stock to stretch its legs.

I only have marginally more length than you (14') to use for OO so I haven't got a hope of creating the wide open space feel you have - but I like the simple track plan and I think it could adapt well - perhaps with a river crossing on a lower bridge in place of your magnificent viaduct.

I will watch with interest.

Sorry if you've already mentioned this, but do you plan do exhibit? I'd like to think I could see this one day in the flesh.

Regards,

James

• Like 1

Sorry if you've already mentioned this, but do you plan do exhibit? I'd like to think I could see this one day in the flesh.

Hi James

I think any thoughts of exhibiting will be a long way in the future. Scenically, the layout really only consists of a few patches of grass and a few trees. There are lots of buildings that I plan to make and these will take a little while. Also, I would like to work on lots more rolling stock.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...