Blueball Summit

andy stroud

Very nice and interesting looking buildings to model ,great to see your progress at this stage to show how your doing them as well

Really like the arch under the building ,unique

Nice work

Brian

• RMweb Premium

Hi, Many thanks for the comments. Completely unrelated, here are a few views of my Western emerging from the tunnel and crossing the viaduct. hope you like.

How could we not like shots of a Western like that? I didn't think the top shot could be bettered until I scrolled the page and the bottom one came into view! But the middle two would be spoiling us, were it not for the other two.

Great stuff.

I hope you have an adequate flood defence system for those buildings down by the river!?  :jester:

Cheers

Dave

Hi Dave,

to be honest, I havent decided yet weather it's going to be a river or a canal. The intention always was that it waas going to be a river, but I do fancy doing a lock towards the back of the layout, which would be a good way of disguising the end.  Near where I live, there is a canal.  For a mile or so, the canal and river actually flow together before going separate ways. Maybe something like that would be an idea.

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

That mill is certainly impressive, not sure I'd have the patience to deal with all of those windows though. It does sit nicely within the landscape rather than overpowering it.

Hi Andy,

Absolutely inspirational stuff!

May I ask which make and scale of brick plasticard you are using? I often think that 2mm scale brickwork just looks too small and busy to make out the brickwork, and I have used 4mm which is overscale, but to my eye can look better when painted.

Cheers

David

Hi Andy,

May I ask which make and scale of brick plasticard you are using? I often think that 2mm scale brickwork just looks too small and busy to make out the brickwork, and I have used 4mm which is overscale, but to my eye can look better when painted.

Cheers

David

Hi David,

I'm pretty sure the brick plasticard that I have been using is all Slaters and it is 2mm scale. To be honest I dont think it does look too small. I actually have some 3mm scale brick plasticard that I got from Modellers Mecca and that is definately overscale for 2mm, to me anyway. Having read what you said, I have just measured some 2mm sheet and there are about three and a half courses to 2mm which I think is about right. I think a lot depends on the way it gets painted. Personally, I aerosol the brickwork first with a grey or white to represent the mortar and then dry brush the  brick colour on over several layers. Some of the mortar colour is lost in places which is intentional and helps create a varied effect. I am fairly pleased with the results but it does take a little while. It took me  several weeks to paint the viaduct which is longer than it took me to build it.

Many thanks,

Andy

Hi Andy,

Cheers

David

David,

Like Andy I too use the Slater's 2mm scale embossed plasticard, and like him I too paint the wall mortar colour then dry brush brick shades on to pick out the raised brickwork.  An example of mine is here : http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/100693-modbury/page-3 in entry No. 60.  A little earlier is my signal box which has the same effect on the chimney.

Ian

• 2 months later...

Hi Andy,

Just discovered this thread - what a fantastic layout and inspirational modelling! :sungum: :good:

I can't believe this is all in 2mm! I keep looking through the photos and completely forgetting, until I suddenly spot something 1/1 scale in the foreground or background and it completely throws me - like this one:

post-1218-0-71175200-1461998423_thumb.jp

The screwdriver and biro look massive! :blink:  And the same with your picture of the lineside hut next to the penny!

Cheers,

Chris

Edited by Chris64B
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

post-1218-0-47177400-1469367930_thumb.jpg

Here are a few pictures to show how things are going on the layout at the moment. I would like to say thankyou for the positive comments since the last set of pictures. Below is a picture of another industrial type of  building under construction. As usual it's plasticard.

post-1218-0-55787200-1469368234_thumb.jpg

At the other end of the building, I am trying something new for me. I've used a thin layer of Milliput to scribe in a depiction of randon stonework. Just trying something different from the usual embossed sheets. Not sure how this is going to work out once the building is painted but I was pleased with the result when I tried it first to make some dry stone walling. I am planning to have this end of the building derelict with a hole in the roof and boarded up or open windows.

post-1218-0-87969000-1469368784_thumb.jpg

Edited by andy stroud
  • Like 17