Blueball Summit

andy stroud

• RMweb Gold

Andy Stroud, you Sir, are the N Gauge Robinson & Downes!!

I've seen a few layouts that have made my jaw hit the floor and the best one to date is Pete Goss's World's End. I can safely say that without a doubt, yours is definitely on par with it.  :good:  :good:  :good:

I'm struggling to get my head around building a simple, OO Gauge layout at the moment and that's hard enough, without straining my eyes for N Gauge, and, 2mmFS at that. 

Hats off to you mate - I'm speechless (and for the people that know me on here......that's a rarity!)  :O

P.S. Can I send you one of my FGW HSTs so that you can run it over that viaduct?

P.P.S. Any chance you can let me have the drawings for Somerton tunnel? I'm just about to build it myself.

Cheers

Mike 

Edited by scoobyra

Andy Stroud, you Sir, are the N Gauge Robinson & Downes!!

I don't think so some how! Hi Mike that's a very kind comment but close up my buildings really are very crude and basic. I just try to create a reasonable overal effect.

As  for Somerton tunnel, I can't offer you any plans because I dont have any. I would have drawn some up when I did my tunnel but thrown in the bin long ago. I used a good face on picture showing the front of a Western just emerging and I worked out the rough dimentions from that. They wouldn't have been overly accurate at all. The picture I used was in a book called 'Western Glory' by Chris Chapman. Send me a PM if you need more help.

andy

• RMweb Gold

I don't think so some how! Hi Mike that's a very kind comment but close up my buildings really are very crude and basic. I just try to create a reasonable overal effect.

As  for Somerton tunnel, I can't offer you any plans because I dont have any. I would have drawn some up when I did my tunnel but thrown in the bin long ago. I used a good face on picture showing the front of a Western just emerging and I worked out the rough dimentions from that. They wouldn't have been overly accurate at all. The picture I used was in a book called 'Western Glory' by Chris Chapman. Send me a PM if you need more help.

andy

Hmmmmm, people keep telling me I'm underestimating my modelling skills so I'll pass that one on to you. I'll use your tunnel as a reference if you don't mind? It'll be really helpful.

Mike

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Superb work, excellently layout and very professional video well edited. Worthy of a BRM video feature IMHO

Proper Job !

Edited by bgman

Fantastic. A model railway that doesn't look like a model railway. No scale tell tale signs and none of those modelling clichés. Just restrained natural modelling and realistic building grouping. The only issue with the video is easy to deal with by using the volume knob.

G.

Fantastic. A model railway that doesn't look like a model railway. No scale tell tale signs and none of those modelling clichés. Just restrained natural modelling and realistic building grouping. The only issue with the video is easy to deal with by using the volume knob.

G.

I agree. Just one word - stunning!

I would just like to say thankyou for all the kind comments regarding the video. I'm glad you liked it. It was only taken with an iphone and mostly hand held but I think it does convey the general feel of the layout quite well. Previously, I've  always had single track branch line layouts  so watching long trains going by and passing other trains is still something of a novelty for me!  My favourite thing  to see is two trains passing on the viaduct, just outside of the tunnel. It's nice when it just happens by itself but sometimes I 'set it up' but stopping an approaching train just out of sight inside the tunnel  and then making it emerge just at the right time. I didn't capture this on the video, but maybe another time.

I need to work on some more locos and rolling stock so I can vary the trains a bit more. More BR wagons, opens, milk tankers, engineers wagons, etc and then get back to the scenery after a while. A few more buildings are needed for under and behind the viaduct together with a river feature. Also I am thinking of a thick backdrop of trees behind the running lines where there is just a plain backscene at the moment.

Once again many thanks for all the recent messages.

andy

• Like 2

Fantastic video, Andy. I can only echo the comments above.

I must admit I'm not generally a big fan of n gauge, as I think it can lack "presence", but there are some layouts that are so good that you really can't tell that it is n gauge from a photograph and then all the advantages of the gauge come into play. Blueball Summit falls well and truly into that category. Superb scenery, superb weathering of locos, stock and scenery, interesting layout design, I could go on and on. Personally I think a tall photographic backscene would finish it off beautifully.

Thanks for posting. I'm looking forward to more updates.

Cheers

Dave

Out of curiosity, what are considered ''modelling cliches' these days....?

I was going to make a joke about a lack buses on bridges - but in the first frame of the video there is one!!

Seriously though, this is incredible work - very inspirational.