Announcement: new BRM Managing Editor

SteveCole

• Administrators

On behalf of everyone at BRM, it is with great pleasure to formally announce Ben Jones as Managing Editor across our Railway Modelling portfolio.

Ben will be no stranger to most of you, having held the position of editor on Model Rail since 2008.

Ben joins BRM with immediate effect, following the magazine's extensive relaunch in November 2013. He will, of course, be tasked with further improving the magazine and I am sure he’ll be joining in discussions on RMweb to get your thoughts.

Please join me in wishing Ben all the very best.

Steve Cole

Associate Publisher - Railway Modelling

Phew!  At last it's out in the open!

Our man already knows my feelings on this as we had a wee chat at Warley!

Delighted, and fascinated to see the new dimensions this might bring. 

Exciting times.  Nice work Matey!

'CHARD

• RMweb Premium

Very happy to hear this, and I hope Ben settles in quickly and is comfortable in the role.

One caveat; having just stepped away from MR myself in favour of the new BRM, I do hope Ben won't be looking to bring that particular magazine's idiosyncracies with him, but seek to expand BRM's own unique approach to the hobby...

Interesting days ahead!

David

He will, of course, be tasked with further improving the magazine and I am sure he’ll be joining in discussions on RMweb to get your thoughts.

Much bedtime/catch-up reading to be done.

Have to say I have never heard of the guy - well never thought much of Model Rail so guess that is no surprise.

All I hope is that he enters his new job with a very open mind and not full of ideas that he wants to change everything. Making change happen in small forward steps is good, change for change sake (like that logo fiasco) is not.

But wish him well in his new job and look forward to reading about some new ideas.

Fresh blood is always good. :butcher:

• RMweb Premium

Good luck on new appointment. I think BRM has done very well since its relaunch (although once again I cant see if its contents appeal as its in a bag!) I hope that there can be more interaction with the internet and rmweb. How about links in layout articles taking you to videos in YouTube for instance ,as I note has happened in this months Hornby Mag,  On the other hand, please don't bring "Top ten ways of watching paint dry" type articles from Model Rail

Hi Ben, good to here you have arrived safely, what's the RM Web name were now looking for, is it something like BRMBEN? hahha

As my Kingsmill was in your first issue as Editor at MR, will you be in charge of next Months BRM when my Glen Roy appears? if so I can see a trend developing.

Good luck and enjoy.

Andy :sungum:

• Administrators

I'm delighted that Ben's now joined the team (and it's out in public!) and look forward to interesting times!

Me too. Obviously I'm hoping for long lunches, plentiful cake and exotic travel but I'm expecting tighter deadlines and some interesting developments on and off-line as well as with some of the live events. Watch this space...

Hello all,

My name is Ben Jones, and I'm the new Managing Editor of BRM/RMweb. This is just a quick note to introduce myself and say how delighted I am to be joining the team. I'm sure that many of us will already have met or communicated over the years, but I look forward to meeting many more of you at forthcoming events and 'chewing the fat' about model railways here on RMweb.

For those that don't know, I'm a lifelong railway modeller (my first train set was a Mainline 'J72' and some of my Dad's old Tri-ang/Hornby-Dublo models in the early-1980s) and have worked in the model railway trade since 1996. After four years at Rails of Sheffield I then worked for RAIL magazine and later Model Rail for 13 years (five years as Editor) until last month. I'm interested in almost anything that runs on rails but my favourite subjects include the Woodhead route (I grew up within sight of the line at Wadsley Bridge), the BR Sectorisation era, Scottish railways (especially the BR steam and pre-Sprinter era), coaching stock/train formations, Irish railways and Swiss/German/French railways. I'm just as interested in the 12in:1ft scale scene as I am in the models and try to get out whenever I can.

I'm keen to hear your thoughts on BRM, its digital spin-offs and events - and how we can improve/expand them. You can contact me directly at: benj@warnersgroup.co.uk or on RMweb, where my ID is '61661' (that should give Eastern Region steam fans some clue as to my football team preference!). It might take me a short while to get used to the forum etiquette and dynamics, but bear with me and I'm sure we can push the magazine and forum forward to everyone's benefit.

Thanks for all the kind comments and best wishes - they are much appreciated. Have a good evening

Ben

• RMweb Gold

Welcome Ben, but interesting you've not been a member before, even pre-Warners.

Not that every modeller has to be a member on here, but as a media-centric person you must have heard of RMweb and been curious ?

• RMweb Gold

Congratulations on the appointment.

Is it possible to have a contact address for relevant press releases please?  Annoyingly there isn't a link of any sort currently on the BRM website - the Contact page is blank of both email and postal address details.  As Society PRO I am checking/updating my SLS contact list today and after finding that blank noticed this announcement.

Welcome Ben, but interesting you've not been a member before, even pre-Warners.

Not that every modeller has to be a member on here, but as a media-centric person you must have heard of RMweb and been curious ?

Maybe he used a User name as opposed to his real, funny how many of us do that!

Archived