Announcement: new BRM Managing Editor

SteveCole

I must say I'm surprised he has left model rail but it will be good to have him on BRM and will improve the magazine futher

My feelings too. Ben has done an tremendous  job at Model Rail no doubt with the good guidance of Chris Leigh who is the master of Model Railway journalism and I have always considered Model Rail to the leading mag in its field and the one that the others have seemed to follow , perhaps this is about to change .........as to  whom taking over Ben's mantel at Model Rail will be an interesting development, as I'm sure he will be missed

Welcome Ben, but interesting you've not been a member before, even pre-Warners.

Not that every modeller has to be a member on here, but as a media-centric person you must have heard of RMweb and been curious ?

You're assuming that I wasn't a member under a different name Stubby47! ;-) I've kept an eye on what's happening on RMweb over the last few years and have been in regular contact with Andy Y - one good example is the Model of the Year awards, which I set up and asked Andy and RMweb members to be involved from the outset.

Congratulations on the appointment.

Is it possible to have a contact address for relevant press releases please?  Annoyingly there isn't a link of any sort currently on the BRM website - the Contact page is blank of both email and postal address details.  As Society PRO I am checking/updating my SLS contact list today and after finding that blank noticed this announcement.

Hello John

Ben Jones - Managing Editor benj@warnersgroup.co.uk

Richard Wilson - Editorial Assistant richardw@warnersgroup.co.uk

Howard Smith - Staff Writer howards@warnersgroup.co.uk

Our address is: British Railway Modelling, The Maltings, West Street, Bourne PE10 9PH.

Regards

Richard

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hello John

Ben Jones - Managing Editor benj@warnersgroup.co.uk

Richard Wilson - Editorial Assistant richardw@warnersgroup.co.uk

Howard Smith - Staff Writer howards@warnersgroup.co.uk

Our address is: British Railway Modelling, The Maltings, West Street, Bourne PE10 9PH.

Regards

Richard

Thank you.  Will make sure my list is updated now.

Is John Emerson still editor, no mention of him in the e-mail list???

John's last day as Editor was this week putting the April issue to bed; we'll be able to update you with what John's up to next in due course.

• RMweb Premium

Me too. Obviously I'm hoping for long lunches, plentiful cake and exotic travel but I'm expecting tighter deadlines and some interesting developments on and off-line as well as with some of the live events. Watch this space...

Tighter deadlines.

Wot, you mean that BRM will be going for the dreaded 13 issues per year, which merely seems to confuse the issue (unintended pun!).

• RMweb Gold

Tighter deadlines.

Wot, you mean that BRM will be going for the dreaded 13 issues per year, which merely seems to confuse the issue (unintended pun!).

I never dread 13 issues a year - I was paid 13 times a year for 34 years and my main pension is paid 13 times a year so I'd be quite happy if another model railway magazine adopts such sensible logic.  Only problem is where do I keep them all?

Hi Ben et al,

A warm welcome from me.

It was Model Rail that encouraged me back into railway modelling again - so I still have some fondness for the mag.- I loved the era with the covers with models placed in/on a prototypical background and DSJ and GD have provided a lot of inspiration over the years.

I have found Ben to be, at shows and in email/letter exchanges, a friendly and helpful chap, always willing to listen and comment (this came across well in the BBC prog. on model railways too).

BRM's new look is superb and I have always liked BRM, due in the main to it's content and contributors, ie Tony Wright, Jack Ray et al.....

I do of course dabble with the other mags and RM was bought for me when I was a boy.

It will be interesting to see who will head-up Model Rail now.

I am aware of a proposed new mag getting ready to enter the scene, which will be interesting to say the least.

Although, visually, I love the trend towards the numbered-photo-progress type articles, I do miss those old RM type articles that had history, drawings, photos of the prototype and, of course, the photos of the models too. That with comprehensive, informative, descriptive text (which was really helpful if one, as a youngster, didnt have a large library of books) was very helpful and informative (I suppose that we have the 'bookzines' for that format now - although I loved my Model Railway Constructor Annuals, which were hardback). Sometimes the - purely - photo based article can only provide a sound-bite, so I guess balance, as in all things, is required, also proving that a picture doesn't always paint a 1000 words (LOL!).

Keep up the good work one and all - we are very lucky to have so much choice, for what is seen, by many, as a minority hobby.

Kindest,

CME

• RMweb Premium

I am aware of a proposed new mag getting ready to enter the scene, which will be interesting to say the least.

A very brave decision considering the market appears to be fairly saturated already.

I have had Model Rail from the days when it first appeared in Rail Enthusiast and thinking of taking BRM instead. In fact I downloaded the digital version of BRM for the first time over the weekend, so a possible convert! There is a limit to the amount of magazines one can afford to purchase especially if you follow more than one hobby.

• RMweb Gold

Hello all,

My name is Ben Jones, and I'm the new Managing Editor of BRM/RMweb. This is just a quick note to introduce myself and say how delighted I am to be joining the team. I'm sure that many of us will already have met or communicated over the years, but I look forward to meeting many more of you at forthcoming events and 'chewing the fat' about model railways here on RMweb.

For those that don't know, I'm a lifelong railway modeller (my first train set was a Mainline 'J72' and some of my Dad's old Tri-ang/Hornby-Dublo models in the early-1980s) and have worked in the model railway trade since 1996. After four years at Rails of Sheffield I then worked for RAIL magazine and later Model Rail for 13 years (five years as Editor) until last month. I'm interested in almost anything that runs on rails but my favourite subjects include the Woodhead route (I grew up within sight of the line at Wadsley Bridge), the BR Sectorisation era, Scottish railways (especially the BR steam and pre-Sprinter era), coaching stock/train formations, Irish railways and Swiss/German/French railways. I'm just as interested in the 12in:1ft scale scene as I am in the models and try to get out whenever I can.

I'm keen to hear your thoughts on BRM, its digital spin-offs and events - and how we can improve/expand them. You can contact me directly at: benj@warnersgroup.co.uk or on RMweb, where my ID is '61661' (that should give Eastern Region steam fans some clue as to my football team preference!). It might take me a short while to get used to the forum etiquette and dynamics, but bear with me and I'm sure we can push the magazine and forum forward to everyone's benefit.

Thanks for all the kind comments and best wishes - they are much appreciated. Have a good evening

Ben

Congratulations Ben. Could this development mean that we might see some more Irish stuff in BRM? ;)

I have not bought Model Rail for ages, any time I did I always wondered why! BRM -since the re-vamp- is by far the best and I hoped it is not dragged backwards by this new appointment

I know this has already been commented on by Dave 47549, but it made me laugh raucously and shake my head in disbelief.

Ben, consider yourself duly admonished, and described as a 'this.'

Archived