Splitbox 37s in Transrail + Railfreight grey

daveymills

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Here you go, another image of it placed on the RMWeb sometime back, hope this helps

post-6099-12622168994721_thumb.jpg

Allegedly, along with 006, 019 and 112 (and possibly 065), the recipient of ex-40 nose-ends, but how much of that is conjecture is anyone's guess bearing in mind the different shapes of the two types! Certainly, they are different from other rebuilt noses in that the doors were kept and not replaced, or patched up. 

Allegedly, along with 006, 019 and 112 (and possibly 065), the recipient of ex-40 nose-ends, but how much of that is conjecture is anyone's guess bearing in mind the different shapes of the two types! Certainly, they are different from other rebuilt noses in that the doors were kept and not replaced, or patched up.

112 carried a full set of boxes until refurbishment, think you mean 102? That was a real patch up job with odd tail lights. I think the above just were involved in minor bumps which damaged only the boxes not the rest of the nose,certainly not an easy job to graft a class 40 nose on so doubt there is any truth in the rumour.

Hi all,

The use of class forty noses to replace damaged class 37's has always puzzled me. The overall dimensions and construction are very similar (vertical & horizontal support members covered with a skin of steel). If you just welded a nose from a 40 on a 37 there wouldn't be any sandbox fillers. There would also be a straight line at the base of the nose. So the look would be that of a forty. Maybe they just used unseen internal parts from scrap forties to repair collision damaged 37's? Then there is the Laira nose job trio 37031, 047 and 053?

Vin

Sorry, typo - you're right 102, which became 712, and as such polluted half of the north-west for many a month! Perfect example of why you should read posts again instead of skim-reading quickly at work! Mildly embarrassed...

It's something that's puzzled me for a while too - I suspect it's just one of those rumours, but it is interesting. The minor bumps theory fits a lot better!! The cut in at the base of the nose is the thing that's always made me doubtful, I hadn't considered the sandbox fillers! Still, makes for a nice variety of noses regardless!

The Laira trio are genuinely odd - but then their 37/0 centre box overhauls were as well, with the internal blind winding gear being removed and just a blanking plate with sealed beam headlights inserted as well. The ones I can think of - and have seen first hand - are 188, 263/280 (they all had it written in the cabs). I'm sure there's more though...

Chris

That photo dispels the class 40 theory but does raise another question. The nose doors? If they had stopped using them more than 15 years prior to this photo why both welding the door retaining clips (the odd shaped metal clips below the marker lights) on the new metal?

Vin

I should say so. I would imagine they simply unbolted the nose end doors intact with hinges, and re-inserted them again afterwards, although it does seem a bit of a faff to do! Why not simply add a blanking plate (some locos had already been treated by this stage) and weld everything up. And why opaque marker lights? Very odd!

But yes, it does suggest an end to 100 having a Class 40 nose, unless the two new sections were ex-40... (just kidding!).

It's still got it's water tank at this stage too... that went missing later, along with 037's!

Chris

Again, that sounds more than plausible. It's odd they didn't twin-tank it though, which would have made sense, but there was probably a good reason at the time. It had an E exam at TI, and bearing in mind they seemed to twin-tank everything it's odd it wasn't done then.

Chris

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Archived