If I had a bit more cash I'd be building points, but seeing as I need somewhere in the region of 10 points and two crossovers, that's around £580!

IC125

Thanks for the kind words IC125.

As far as track building goes, SP1 is quite right, copperclad construction is far cheaper than Peco, and his price quotes are about right too.

The only alteration I'll make is that with the length of my turnouts, I will only get about 3 out of one pack of copperclad strip and a pack of rail, rather than about 5 if they're made slightly smaller.

Jinty ;-)

Oh well, if you insist............................60002 "Capability Brown" arrives with a short train within its sectorattachicon.gifWRX629.jpgThen a bit of spotting off the road over bridge. 37429 arrives with chemicals for the worksattachicon.gifWRX631.jpg31439 leaves with the local to Wolverhamptonattachicon.gifWRX632.jpgThen some EE Type 3 poses427, 429, 431, 506 and 906............attachicon.gifWRX633.jpgattachicon.gifWRX634.jpgattachicon.gifWRX635.jpgattachicon.gifWRX636.jpgattachicon.gifWRX637.jpgAnd a bit of type 5 'Grid' action too,56049attachicon.gifWRX638.jpgand 56034attachicon.gifWRX639.jpgSee I can create a post without any 47's in the pictures!!!!!Jinty ;-)

Superb Jinty

Some really nice EE Type 3 there. Thanks for posting.

Cheers

Marcus

By my reckoning that's actually about £70 if you build them in copperclad, and even if you want them with chairs it's probably less than a third of your figure. Add on about £15-20 for the first three or four that you will inevitably scrap because they are not quite good enough (but everything is recyclable!).

Allow 3-4 hours each to build (after practice I can build them in half the time) you could build all of your turnouts in 3-4 weeks allowing an hour or two a night (the first one takes the longes!!).

Now how good does Peco look as an option?

Thanks for the kind words IC125.As far as track building goes, SP1 is quite right, copperclad construction is far cheaper than Peco, and his price quotes are about right too.The only alteration I'll make is that with the length of my turnouts, I will only get about 3 out of one pack of copperclad strip and a pack of rail, rather than about 5 if they're made slightly smaller.Jinty ;-)

Thanks for that, I was using the C&L turnout kits as a price guide, but as you say copper clad would be cheaper. The thing that has caused me to use Peco points is the fact I already have them (they were given to me by my uncle)! One day I may experiment with building my own points (like my idea of Shirehampton Station in the 1980s, with about 3 points and some slightly curved track)

IC125

Hi Jinty, I've just gone back to page 1 as I'm trying to work out its size in the Station area, please give me a clue young Man.

Hi Andrew,

Wrexbury was 28' x 3' and 16' x 2'6" in an 'L' shape along the outside walls of the garage. Wrexbury Marsh is a completely different thing all together. It is 16' x 2'6", and it fits just about down the middle of the garage, but joins the main layout (or will in time).

The main Wrexbury layout is no more, having been dismantled so that I can insulate the garage, but I'm carrying on with Wrexbury Marsh, just to give me something to do.

Once the garage has been insulated, I will re-build Wrexbury but use handbuilt pointwork and C&L Flexi, and the two layouts will be joined as well.

From the start of the station throat to the buffer stops was approx. 12', and gave me 7 coach trains + loco in the main platforms.

Hope that answers your question ok.

Jinty ;-)

Hi all,

Well I took a couple of photos the other afternoon of progress in a couple of areas.

First up, Class 47, 47474 "Sir Rowland Hill" is no more, re-numbered into 47462 in plain Parcels livery as it was in the late 80's. Etched double arrows and transfers fitted, after I had to re-paint the bottom half, as I didn't have much luck with removing the numbers and nameplates!!!!!

She's now been fitted with the correct split tanks, and is awaiting a good matt varnishing and then a subtle weathering.

post-14906-0-42241400-1429887083_thumb.jpg

post-14906-0-45838400-1429887097_thumb.jpg

Another locomotive that's been going through the works is a bit of a queue jumper in the shape of 31452 in Fragonset livery. This loco has now been stripped down and rubbed down, and then the main body part primered. I've masked off the roof including the cantrail stripe, in the hope that I won't have to add a stripe and that it should create a colour break without being noticed too much.

The loco is to be finished in R/F Grey livery as 31164. I've already got the etched 'Railfreight' logos and flush glazing for once it's painted.

post-14906-0-18773200-1429887112_thumb.jpg

Another one that hasn't been seen for a little while is 47050, again, going into early R/F Grey livery.

This one has had more major work done to it than the others. The body started life as an early one with 3-stage radiator grilles. I have cut them out and grafted on a pair of 'Hornby' Scerk radiator grills (only because they were in the bits box!!!!).

The body has had the sealed beam and marker light plates put over the headcodes, high intensity light boxes and drilled. roof ariel mounts, etched fan grilles and the correct boiler blanking plate.

It has been given its first coat of primer and it's shown up a couple of little areas that need a bit more work. Once the work has been done, I can crack on with finishing the paintwork, and fitting the flush glazing.

post-14906-0-55476200-1429887131_thumb.jpg

I'll hopefully get a bit more done this weekend as I'm off all weekend, so plenty more to be getting on with.

Jinty ;-)

Hi all,

Well I took a couple of photos the other afternoon of progress in a couple of areas.

First up, Class 47, 47474 "Sir Rowland Hill" is no more, re-numbered into 47462 in plain Parcels livery as it was in the late 80's. Etched double arrows and transfers fitted, after I had to re-paint the bottom half, as I didn't have much luck with removing the numbers and nameplates!!!!!

She's now been fitted with the correct split tanks, and is awaiting a good matt varnishing and then a subtle weathering.

attachicon.gifWRX640.jpg

attachicon.gifWRX641.jpg

Another locomotive that's been going through the works is a bit of a queue jumper in the shape of 31452 in Fragonset livery. This loco has now been stripped down and rubbed down, and then the main body part primered. I've masked off the roof including the cantrail stripe, in the hope that I won't have to add a stripe and that it should create a colour break without being noticed too much.

The loco is to be finished in R/F Grey livery as 31164. I've already got the etched 'Railfreight' logos and flush glazing for once it's painted.

attachicon.gifWRX642.jpg

Another one that hasn't been seen for a little while is 47050, again, going into early R/F Grey livery.

This one has had more major work done to it than the others. The body started life as an early one with 3-stage radiator grilles. I have cut them out and grafted on a pair of 'Hornby' Scerk radiator grills (only because they were in the bits box!!!!).

The body has had the sealed beam and marker light plates put over the headcodes, high intensity light boxes and drilled. roof ariel mounts, etched fan grilles and the correct boiler blanking plate.

It has been given its first coat of primer and it's shown up a couple of little areas that need a bit more work. Once the work has been done, I can crack on with finishing the paintwork, and fitting the flush glazing.

attachicon.gifWRX643.jpg

I'll hopefully get a bit more done this weekend as I'm off all weekend, so plenty more to be getting on with.

Jinty ;-)

Can I ask where you got the headcode blanking plate from ? I've got a Trix class 81 bodyshell that I'm (slowly) detailing to sit on a Class 85 chassis, one of the jobs is fitting a blanking plate and some sealed beam lights to each end.

Simon

Can I ask where you got the headcode blanking plate from ? I've got a Trix class 81 bodyshell that I'm (slowly) detailing to sit on a Class 85 chassis, one of the jobs is fitting a blanking plate and some sealed beam lights to each end.

Simon

Hi Simon,

The blanking plates are from Shawplan http://www.shawplan.com/index.htm

DP47-04 White marker light panels

DP47-05 Sealed beam panels

I purchased both packs as the 47 has different ends.

Jinty ;-)

Hi all,

After a weekend of rather nice weather, so a nice family trip out, I have made some progress on the two locos in the works.

31162 has had her main colours applied (a bit of touching up needed) and is sitting hardening for another day before I apply any transfers and detail paint. The window surrounds have got to be painted and then transfers and R/F plates. then it can have a matt varnish all over and then the flush glazing fitted. I cheated with the masking up, and masked it up keeping the cantrail stripe in place, and it's worked a treat!!!! A touch of weathering to dull it all off a bit as well.

post-14906-0-92765100-1430135824_thumb.jpg

The next one is 47050, which again has had both main colours applied. I now need to paint the inner part of the window frames black as there was no black window surrounds on this loco. Then transfers, R/F plates and a matt varnish. Then the flush glazing can be fitted and then a subtle weathering to both the body and the chassis as the chassis is a crappy brown colour and needs some work!!!!!

post-14906-0-75074100-1430135838_thumb.jpg

They're both coming on now, and I think the 31 will be finished first.

Jinty ;-)

Loco's are looking good Jinty,

When you say R/F plates do you mean the red railfreight sign on the yellow under the cab window? I ask because I think on most loco's this was just a sticker/transfer.

Cheers Peter.

Loco's are looking good Jinty,

When you say R/F plates do you mean the red railfreight sign on the yellow under the cab window? I ask because I think on most loco's this was just a sticker/transfer.

Cheers Peter.

Errrmmmm, I've gone and bought etched plates!!!!!! Oooops!!! :O

Oh well It might make one of them look a bit smarter!!! I think I've got some transfers too!!!

Jinty ;-)

Errrmmmm, I've gone and bought etched plates!!!!!! Oooops!!! :O

Oh well It might make one of them look a bit smarter!!! I think I've got some transfers too!!!

Jinty ;-)

Sorry Mate, I am sure you will find a loco to put them on. From memory they were often put on on a named loco, Thornaby class 20s often had Railfreight plates.

Just to really make your day I have looked at a few pics and 47050 didn't have the Railfreight sticker. My own 31319 doesn't have any either. 

Cheers Peter.

Sorry Mate, I am sure you will find a loco to put them on. From memory they were often put on on a named loco, Thornaby class 20s often had Railfreight plates.

That's ok Peter, I need another R/F class 20 at some point, so I think I'll save them for that one.

Nice work as always Jinty :)

Cheers, Paul

Thanks Paul,

Just had my Cortizone injection!!! I'm sure as we get older our muscles aren't as supple any more and we feel pain a bit more, as the last one I had didn't hurt as much as this one!!!!!!

Jinty ;-)

That's ok Peter, I need another R/F class 20 at some point, so I think I'll save them for that one.

Thanks Paul,

Just had my Cortizone injection!!! I'm sure as we get older our muscles aren't as supple any more and we feel pain a bit more, as the last one I had didn't hurt as much as this one!!!!!!

Jinty ;-)

Ooowww. Not nice. It does tend to work though.

The resprays are coming along nicely. Looking forward to seeing the finished result.

Haven't forgotten about the visit. Works just a bit manic again at the moment.

Cheers

Marcus

Can you Guys STOP TALKING ABOUT CORTIZONE INJECTIONS please, I may have to have one if my shoulder doesn't get any better soon, I think its called Old Age, I turned 65 Today so now I'm  officially a Grumpy Old Git.

Paint job looks terrific Jinty, well done.

Can you Guys STOP TALKING ABOUT CORTIZONE INJECTIONS please, I may have to have one if my shoulder doesn't get any better soon, I think its called Old Age, I turned 65 Today so now I'm  officially a Grumpy Old Git.

Paint job looks terrific Jinty, well done.

Happy Birthday Andy you Grumpy Old Git  :drink_mini:

Craig.

Hey Happy Birthday Andy.........

Hardly a Grumpy Old Git, more misdirected!!!!!!!   Only joking ;) :whistle:

From what I've heard, they get worse the more you have!!!!! Cortizones, not Birthdays :sarcastichand: :sarcastichand:

Jinty ;-)

Good afternoon all,

Having a couple of hours off, all to myself too, without the usual domestic errands/duties, I managed a bit of work on 47050.

This loco is about THE most awkward Duff I've ever come across!!! Why did I decide to do it?????

Firstly, the cabside numerals are non standard, the data panel is white on yellow????? and there is this odd white cantrail line as well................................

post-14906-0-64097100-1430232701.jpg

Picture © www.class47.co.uk

Firstly the numerals. RBE of this parish kindly provided me with some numerals that I was going to print onto transfer paper, but this proved a disaster on my side, as I couldn't get it to work!!!! So, I had a rummage and found a set of Fox F7201/3 numerals that looked the right height, but a touch bold. I thought I could live with the compromise, once they were on, and the loco was viewed as a whole.

Then came the data panel. Really, was it worth it? you just can't see the bl@@dy thing!!!!!

Next was the white cantrail stripe. A fair bit wider than an orange cantrail stripe, I had another rummage through my transfer bits and came across a set of white triple stripes off a Virgin Mk3 coach in 7mm I just happened to have. So I trimmed off one of the stripes, cut it in half and it did both sides of the 47!!!!! Again, just a tad bold, but I think it will look ok.

Then came the large double arrows, should of been a walk in the park after what had gone before, but I'd bought some Replica ones to make up an order a few months back. I found that they broke apart once off the carrier film, I used a tad of washing up liquid in my water as something to help the transfer slide better, and Decalfix once I'd put the transfers back together!!!!

I think I'll stick with Fox and Modelmasters from now on.

Anyway, here she is so far, opinions most welcome. I know it's not perfect, but I've tried to convey its uniqueness.

post-14906-0-51249600-1430232723_thumb.jpg

As a side thought, whilst digging through my transfers box, I have a fair bit of 7mm modern image transfers, I haven't got a clue how I managed to keep them, but I have Freightliner loco side logos and numbering, EWS and EW&S side branding including the 3 beasts logos, which I know that Fox no longer do because of licencing. If anyone is interested just drop me a PM and I'll send over a couple of pictures.

I'll be cracking on with the 31 this evening, ready for a varnish coat tomorrow afternoon.

Jinty ;-)

Archived