salmonpastures

I do like that SAD. I'll have a butchers tomorrow.

Nothing like a big ugly loco. I even like those Thompson things (A what ever they are) with cylinders behind the front bogie wheels, good and ugly. No accounting for taste.

Point of order please "westerner",,,, in this neck of the woods we just don't mention Thomson,,,,

Why??? he actually got paid for being a designer but the reality shows he was a co-op butcher.

Nah,,, not my favorite person.

SAD :sadclear:

It's a shame to see this layout is / has been retired, Although I'm a 'young un' I'm a great fan of both the Eastern /LNER region and I loved seeing (and having a 'go':) ) at the Pickering show over a year ago . Once again it's a shame to see the layout 'go' but thank you for giving a go and chucking me in at the deep end with the old technology ( DC ;) ) .

Thanks

Jamie D

Hi Jamie,

Good to hear from you and how could we forget the Pickering show!!! Wonderful.

The first train set I ever had was clockwork,,, [true] so as far as I'm concerned DC is NEW technology,, bet that makes you smile.

Nothing lasts for ever and I am already getting excited thinking about what I can do next.

Without a doubt the future rests with the "young un's" so it's a definite case of,,,, over to you.

You keep supporting anything LNER based and you won't go far wrong.

I will keep posting what I'm up to so you can keep in touch.

Merry XMAS to ALL the lads at SDMRC and happy modelling.

SAD :sadclear:  & Salmon Pastures [retired] 

• 2 years later...

Well,,, here we go again,,, I won't bore you with the details but we have had to move yet again,,, but now we are "hopefully settled",,, so much so that I have got the layout back and have been "playing" with it considerably of late.

Current activity is shown on the build line,, N5, Q7, J3 and the long awaited Zeppelin,,, which after todays efforts of fitting pickups can now propel itself down a bit of track!!!! Oh Joy of Joys,,, a bit of progress

266860765_linebuild.JPG.7f05d1edecfe2d2b2b3414042aa1e464.JPG

Hope to post more activity but the patient followers are probably thinking "we have heard that before",, your right but lets see what happens.

Final shot for tonight of the latest version of a workbench,,,,, so far so good!!!!

witton.JPG.9ce82040210a8d9b94fb667ffc1d0491.JPG

• Like 9
  • Friendly/supportive 3

It's been a good day!!!!

The very patient Zeppelin now has side tanks, cab sides, cab ends, & bunker ends all sweated together and just waiting for a finish off with the piercing saw and twiddly files,,, what fun we have had,,, and not elastoplasts required so far!!!   as mentioned it has been a good day.

SAD:( 

As also mentioned recently please don't expect daily updates,,, but after some time away I really am enjoying myself!!!!

zeppo2.JPG.94e41cd55f68e4496032412c61770930.JPG

Edited by salmonpastures
typo
  • Like 7

Was expecting the central heating to be serviced today so didn't want to get too involved with brass bashing on the Zeppelin so decided to do a simpler task and set about the traction poles for the tram.

A job I have been putting off for far too long but once I got started I really enjoyed myself.

A couple of pics of the first 6 out of a total of around 30 that will be required.

Having the overheads installed should make a significant difference to the tram system.

Apologies for the crude infrastructure showing in these shots,,, but this is what we have to look at all day at exhibitions,,, the public only see the "show side". Much nicer,,, dirty but nicer.

SAD:mellow:

tramohead1 (2).JPG

tramohead2 (2).JPG

Edited by salmonpastures
  • Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

A very good question Mr King,,, and one which the "exhibition focus group" discussed and acted upon only this Tuesday:

After a 3 year break from the circuit (and a holiday in Croydon) the layout has returned to its ancestral home and as part of the process of returning home to North Norfolk has over the last 4 weeks been dusted, cleaned  and even "de-snailed" and therefore we can confirm it is  definitely lighter.

The operating team,,, all of whom are now septuagenarians,, are about to undertake another  crash course in sprightly-ness at a local hostelry in an effort to get us all back to our previous levels of show fitness,,, in fact only yesterday Alan "the westerner" had his eyesight realigned from 7mm viewing back to 4mm such was his enthusiasm at the possibility of doing more exhibitions. 

Rest assured we are all raring to go.

SAD:mellow: & the SalPast team!!!

• Like 2
  • Funny 3

Not the first time I've heard comment passed on that. One lady put it very neatly when telling me of the change in her vision resulting from cataract surgery, quite apart from getting rid of all the blur, dullness, and the glare in bright light, she realised that she was "no longer seeing the world in sepia tones, but in full vivid colour".

I gather that blues can suddenly look almost fluorescent compared to their subdued state just before surgery, when the cataract can of course be rally bad.......

A good course of heavy winter ales to build up the layout shifting muscles then?

Alan,

I wouldn't be too concerned about the return of your colour perception,,,, I'm afraid Apple Green will always outsmart  the Brunswick variety no matter what state the optical sensors are in.

Glad to hear yesterday's trip out had some positive return for you as well. 

SAD:sadclear:

Managed to get a bit more done to the L1 before cold garage stopped play.

Have been putting in the window frames,,, one of the side panels is nearly finished.

Still have some more cleaning up to do but nearly finished.DSCF0116.JPG.0aaab0545283de51ff04befae206be5f.JPG

When they are all done I should be able to start fixing the cab plates to the footplate.

• Like 7

On 12/12/2016 at 23:46, jamie.dunn said:

It's a shame to see this layout is / has been retired, Although I'm a 'young un' I'm a great fan of both the Eastern /LNER region and I loved seeing (and having a 'go':) ) at the Pickering show over a year ago . Once again it's a shame to see the layout 'go' but thank you for giving a go and chucking me in at the deep end with the old technology ( DC ;) ) .

Thanks

Jamie D

Never say Never Jamie,,,

We can confirm that we will be strutting our stuff on the exhibition circuit again,,, and you only have to wait till 2021!!!

By then the tram should have a realistic set of overheads,,, the L1Zeppelin should be able to put on a performance in it's old stomping grounds and we should all have finished our physical training regime to enable us to enjoy humping the fiddle yard about again!!!

Can you guess where we are going???

731578119_imminghamtram.jpg.b01988e1c84f8c0f2dfa5aa5526a6c58.jpg

• Like 1

Window frames all in and nearly cleaned up so today I tack soldered the cab and bunker pieces together,,, more progress.

When everything is squared up and cab steps and floor plate has been added we should be able to mount it to the main footplate.

Much more fun than watching repeats on Dave!!!cab2.jpg.027bc2b86771b66ffbc70cbfc80f4856.jpg

• Like 4

Another good session on the L1 saw a firebox fabricated,,, and blue tacked onto the cab spectacle plate for photo's

334746919_zeppsmokebox2.jpg.185835ecfa883e492e5088cb2cbd42f7.jpg1146620878_zeppsmokebox.jpg.ea5cf89e665f195a46144ad472aa7f8c.jpg

And as we were having such a good time I sweated an end plate onto the boiler and will be jousting with the alignment of that tomorrow.

After fiddling with the BluTac I am relatively confident we will have enough "wiggle room" to get everything lined up OK.

780082197_zeppboiler.jpg.cf09e905d11345f0240de27321fda411.jpg

It is coming together now and starting to take on the "monster" look.

• Like 7

Am pleased to announce we are raising steam as I type!!!

Not attached, not inline and not completed BUT we can go into the festivities with the most difficult bits of tin bashing over.

Classic BluTak shot complete with sturdy timber supports to give it some sort of industrial substance. 

[pinched from that big jar on the counter at the local coffee shop!!!,,, naughty naughty,,, but they are so useful,,, paint stirrers, flux appliers, toothpicks, the list is endless]

Thanks to all the followers,,, have a good Xmas and to be honest it is unlikely I will get a lot done over the next week or so!!! but you never know.

390857475_zeppboilercab.jpg.97165b8cfcede3454644a4fa6e903583.jpg

Merry Xmas to all and productive and satisfying modelling in the New Year.

• Like 4

A bit more progress on the L1,, more than I was expecting,,, there is obviously more to Xmas shopping than I thought.1549004806_zeppsbox2.jpg.9f0cec4ee929c8f1dbcb0222169e71cc.jpg

First point,, don't attempt to take photo's and drink tea at the same time,,, if you do this is what happens,,, just my luck because it is actually quite a decent shot.

The boiler now has a smokebox and a firebox which in turn is fitted to the spectacle plate.

I spent time ensuring everything was square and parallel to the track,,, but you never know until you bolt it all together,, getting the boiler height correct was a phaff

At each stage of adding to the footplate I dry run to see if the chassis still turns and was doing quite well until the smokebox wrapper was fitted,,, this fouled the driving wheels nicely so I have had to strip it all back for clearances.

Next will be the mainframes and front end,, leading into the tanks,,, then it really should start to look the part.

SAD:mellow:

• Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• 2 weeks later...

With the festivities out of the way I have managed to get some more done to the L1.

Splashers on both sides and I have started cleaning some of the excess solder away.

Not my favourite job making splashers but on this one at least there are only 2,,, the massive tanks hide the rest.

Getting close to fitting the tanks and then it should really start to come together.

Have fitted to the body and there were no shorts but some of the internal splashers were very close so I gave myself a bit more free space.

Life is so  easy with a minidrill and a couple of dental burr's.1530751416_splashLH.jpg.902b12ba05eb9f6aefc0fe058afa42ea.jpg1352350303_LHsplash.jpg.a8cb7ae971a2188852cf1c06fe3c7441.jpg1756949292_splashRH.jpg.dfb9a8f617c74e2be04ef2b2640abbec.jpg685319819_splashRH.jpg.c74a981e8aacf50b22389a9612f3d007.jpg

• Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1