salmonpastures

• 2 months later...

After spending far too long sitting looking at my airbrush and compressor I have eventually summoned up the enthusiasm/courage to give it a go,,, my first 3 attempts at a spot of weathering.

More experienced comments would be very welcome.post-3458-0-39333400-1435515111.jpgpost-3458-0-86221500-1435515140.jpgpost-3458-0-31481600-1435515167.jpg

SAD :sadclear:

• Like 6

• 1 month later...

Hi SAD and the the rest of the Salmon Pastures team, I'd just like to say thank you for allowing me to be 'Guest' operator this last weekend. Although i only operated the layout for about 2 hours I fully enjoyed working alongside all of you.

And I hope you enjoyed your weekend in pickering.

thanks again,

Jamie Dunn

Hi SAD and the the rest of the Salmon Pastures team, I'd just like to say thank you for allowing me to be 'Guest' operator this last weekend. Although i only operated the layout for about 2 hours I fully enjoyed working alongside all of you.

And I hope you enjoyed your weekend in pickering.

thanks again,

Jamie Dunn

Jamie, it should be us offering you our thanks,,, the little breaks mean we can go and look round the exhibition,,, and on the odd occasion spend some money!!!!

If you want to come and join us again just let me know through a pm.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
  • 10 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Hi Mr. Sad,

Just discovered Salmon Pastures, having seen the references on Westerner's topic.

Very nice it looks too, hope I can get to see it sometime.  In the meantime, is it possible to post a plan of the layout?

All the best,

Dave.T

Hi Mr. Sad,

Just discovered Salmon Pastures, having seen the references on Westerner's topic.

Very nice it looks too, hope I can get to see it sometime.  In the meantime, is it possible to post a plan of the layout?

All the best,

Dave.T

Hello DLT,,, many thanks for your kind words and I have to say I have never received so many notifications before all in one go.

Thankyou.

I'm afraid it is highly unlikely you will be able to see us in the future as the Manchester show will be the last time we take Salmon Pastures out,,,,,

Retirement to a bit of sunshine is rapidly approaching and as we have got older I am convinced the layout has put on weight as well,,, we have been treading the boards for over 10 years now,,,, and both the operating team and the layout are getting a bit tired,,,, 

I will definitely keep modelling and updating the Salmon Pastures Blog but seeing it in the flesh I'm afraid you have missed the last train.

With regard to a track plan,,,, we did feature quite recently in a BRM "Classic Layout Plans",,, I can't remember which one but I can find it for you when the layout is back on its legs in the shed.

You can also have a look at lots of "westerners" pictures on the Salmon Pastures Blog Flickr Link,,, he certainly knows what he is doing with his electric box brownie and he regularly produces some cracking shots.

Once again many thanks and happy modelling.

Hi Mr. Sad,

All the best,

Dave.T

As if by magic "westerner" arrived this afternoon with a CD full of pics of the Manchester show,,,

I will post them all on the Salmon Pastures Blog and offer these few to show how good a "happy snapper" the man is.

Many thanks for the interest and once again Alan wonderful shots of a bloomin wonderful exhibition.

post-3458-0-45159400-1481059978_thumb.jpgpost-3458-0-31246700-1481060182_thumb.jpgpost-3458-0-90101500-1481060201_thumb.jpgpost-3458-0-60263800-1481060215_thumb.jpg

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium

Hello DLT,,, many thanks for your kind words and I have to say I have never received so many notifications before all in one go.

Thankyou.

I'm afraid it is highly unlikely you will be able to see us in the future as the Manchester show will be the last time we take Salmon Pastures out,,,,,

Retirement to a bit of sunshine is rapidly approaching and as we have got older I am convinced the layout has put on weight as well,,, we have been treading the boards for over 10 years now,,,, and both the operating team and the layout are getting a bit tired,,,, 

I will definitely keep modelling and updating the Salmon Pastures Blog but seeing it in the flesh I'm afraid you have missed the last train.

With regard to a track plan,,,, we did feature quite recently in a BRM "Classic Layout Plans",,, I can't remember which one but I can find it for you when the layout is back on its legs in the shed.

You can also have a look at lots of "westerners" pictures on the Salmon Pastures Blog Flickr Link,,, he certainly knows what he is doing with his electric box brownie and he regularly produces some cracking shots.

Once again many thanks and happy modelling.

Oh well, I guess I will have to make do with the splendid pictures on the Blog.  Still, I'm glad you brought it to RMweb, or I would never have seen it.

Good luck with your modelling in retirement.

All the best, Dave.

post-3458-0-91862600-1481141129_thumb.jpg

A B3 now there is something I need to have a go at making.
A delight to see one modeled so well.

Many thanks Richard,,, probably as much to do with "micklner's" paintjob and "westerners" photo's as my tin bashing.

Needless to say it isn't yet finished,,, I want to improve the lining on the driving wheels and cylinders before long,, and the safety valves should most definitely not be green!!!

Pointed out by our mutual friend John Quick who was at the show on Saturday & it was really good to see him as he has not been well.

I am about to post the rest of Alan's photo's on the Salmon Pastures Blog,,, but will leave you with this one,,,it really was a great show to finish on and one I will never forget.

post-3458-0-21345300-1481141193_thumb.jpg

Edited by salmonpastures
  • Like 9

attachicon.gifmanc5.jpg

Many thanks Richard,,, probably as much to do with "micklner's" paintjob and "westerners" photo's as my tin bashing.

Needless to say it isn't yet finished,,, I want to improve the lining on the driving wheels and cylinders before long,, and the safety valves should most definitely not be green!!!

Pointed out by our mutual friend John Quick who was at the show on Saturday & it was really good to see him as he has not been well.

I am about to post the rest of Alan's photo's on the Salmon Pastures Blog,,, but will leave you with this one,,,it really was a great show to finish on and one I will never forget.

attachicon.gifmanc6.jpg

Lovely loco.

I am sorry to here about John. A real gentleman craftsman of our hoby.

Richard

Hi Mr. Sad,

All the best,

Dave.T

Hello DLT,,,,I was rooting about in the shed this morning and found the mag with the track plan.

It was in BRM May 2016,,,, in the "Classic Layout Trackplans",,[ mmm,,, hardly classic to be honest] there are 1 or 2 errors with regard to the buildings but the track plan seems pretty accurate.

Good luck with the planning,,,,

Glad to see Valour is earning her keep !

Hello Mick,,,

It certainly generated some interesting conversations during the Manchester exhibition,,, and each time I run it somehow it seems to get slightly better.

Your assistance to convert it from dusty shelf blocker to "Pride of the Line" is much appreciated.

As mentioned on previous posts I still have a few things I want to improve on the chassis but at least it is now actually presentable.

Regards,

• Like 1

I really enjoyed Salmon Pastures at Manchester and my chat with presumably Mr Sad, glad we agreed that GC locos were far more elegant than those of the L&Y which often looked too tall and top heavy, especially the Highflyers. He had a splendidly clad gentleman there who entertained younger visitors and let them play bus drivers much to their delight.

Sorry to hear the layout is being retired from the exhibition circuit but glad that I got to see it. Doesn't "Valour" look great!

Edward

• Like 1

I really enjoyed Salmon Pastures at Manchester and my chat with presumably Mr Sad, glad we agreed that GC locos were far more elegant than those of the L&Y which often looked too tall and top heavy, especially the Highflyers. He had a splendidly clad gentleman there who entertained younger visitors and let them play bus drivers much to their delight.

Sorry to hear the layout is being retired from the exhibition circuit but glad that I got to see it. Doesn't "Valour" look great!

Edward

Many thanks Edward for those kind words 

manc12.jpg

I copy the "team photo" from Manchester,,, L to R The Rev Nev,, our very own tram trainer, myself, Alan who also features heavily on RMweb as "westerner" and Roger.

I couldn't possibly comment on the virtues of anything,,, well not without starting a turf wars in the process.

I have a particular interest in Robinson loco's,,, usually Edwardian "grace & elegance" although the one I am building at the moment is the 2-6-4 tank engine known as Crabs or Zeppelins,,, they really were ugly ducklings for Gorton,,,,

I also have  "a thing" about heavy freight engines and I find the Hughes Heavy 7F has a a definite charm,,,, 8 wheels, a wacking great boiler an Anderson shelter for the crew just in case it rains and thats all you have to spend your working life going over the pennines,, where everyone knows it never rains,,, well not on the Eastern side.

The Highflyers were certainly "different" and typically LYR,,, on the Sunday I spent a most pleasant hour chatting to 4 lads from the LYR society and not surprisingly they found anything from Gorton definitely league 2,,, that is a conversation I will never forget,,, it was wonderful concentrated railway humour.

As someone once said about the big Hughes freight engines,, "I like my engines the same as my women,,, big, top heavy and ugly"  so there is a place for everything!!!!

Once again many thanks I'm delighted you enjoyed your visit to Salmon Pastures and happy modelling.

• Like 2

Actually managed to get some "modelling" done today,,,, seems like ages since I was actually constructive.

Was fiddling around with my Robinson Zeppelin tank,,, or LNER L1 2-6-4t.

The chassis was happily whirling away on the rolling road while I attached buffers, buffer beam and finished the structural part of the footplate.

Oh happy days,,, the return of the tingle fingers!!

post-3458-0-32540600-1481577221_thumb.jpgpost-3458-0-06410300-1481577243_thumb.jpg

Edited by salmonpastures
  • Like 2

It's a shame to see this layout is / has been retired, Although I'm a 'young un' I'm a great fan of both the Eastern /LNER region and I loved seeing (and having a 'go':) ) at the Pickering show over a year ago . Once again it's a shame to see the layout 'go' but thank you for giving a go and chucking me in at the deep end with the old technology ( DC ;) ) .

Thanks

Jamie D

Edited by jamie.dunn