Bachmann Collectors' Club Spring 2014 limited edition models.

Paul.Uni

Bachmann have produced a superb looking loco that is right in my area of interest.

Are you saying that I should have been deprived of that so that you could get what you want instead?

Are your wishlists really that much more important than mine?

I don't think anyone is saying that. I certainly didn't - indeed is undeniably a superb looking loco, and also it was a very predictable release (I gather there was even a leaked photograph at one stage!) - so no one was not expecting Bachmann to make the GCR Pom Pom, nor are they saying that you shouldn't be overjoyed that one has been released.

What I know I was saying (and I think others were saying too) was they we were disappointed this was the 3rd(?) steam limited edition in a row from the collectors club. In other words it's not the content, it's the timing.

Actually the answer is very simple. The factories do not produce products in any alternating fashion, steam era, Diesel era, steam era.

We have to add the relatively small quantity of club models onto our main production runs to enable them to come to market. With a new tooling, it is easier to plan a limited edition for the club as we have a clearer idea of when the R&D function is complete, and when production will take place. Therefore, normally we always try to produce a club model on the new tooling. There has not been a great deal of suitable new Modern Image tooling recently. Blue Pullman, 10001 do not really lend themselves. Class 40, Blue or Green? We took a gamble on the 85, and by and large it paid off.

We can go back and issue older tooling to try and bridge any gaps, The LNER Green Class 47 was such a loco. It basically worked ok. But again, we have to wait for the main production run to take place alongside the club model. I can think of two or three long planned modern image Club models, that we are waiting to be produced for our valued club members. 

We would love to alternate it, but it is simply not possible. No doubt now, we will now have a run of modern image club items in the next issues, and then the steam boys will be left out. Hopefully it evens out over a period of time.

Very sorry these situations occur but rest assured there are plenty of modern and steam club items in the pipeline, and we hope that they will appeal to all of our greatly appreciated club members over many more years to come.

Kind Regards

David

Very interesting stuff (and very grateful for Bachmann's continued openness), but largely confirmation of what we already knew - hence the comments earlier on the possibility of a Class 40. D200 would have been an obvious choice, however I recognise Bachmann may have avoided it and technically it would have required modifications to the tooling (though I expect 99% wouldn't have noticed!) - however with 3 different varieties (centre, spilt and disc) and currently only 1 available in blue (which sold like hot cakes when it hit the shops), another run of the mill 40 in blue (or, most likely a spilt box in green) would have sold well.

All of this pulls into question what is "suitable" for a Limited Edition release - for the collectors club it seems it's either a one-off or unusual livery that they go for, but with the gap closing in price between a limited and none limited edition release, and production runs in general reducing in size surely anything that's not currently available and will sell could fit into that category. Indeed one-off or unusual liveries can actually be less popular than the standard ones (the marmite effect) - and I suspect 85101 certainly fell into that category.

Glad to here there are some more in the pipeline though - at a guess they will appear when we a due the more livery varied classes.

Cheers,

Bruce

Edited to correct speeling mishtakes ;-)

Not a complaint I am glad for those that got what they want.

However from an economics perspective, I join ONLY for the opportunity to buy unusual Diesel models.

The free gift seems to always be a wagon that is never of the modern era and of no use to me, so to me personally of zero value.

The magazines are good but hardly worth the money to me, on their own

If there is not at least one model to buy in a subscription year, then it is simply money i can better spent elsewhere, in my case. The 85 and 47 were the previous years subscription, not this BTW.

I will not renew on the off chance, of a modern limited edition, but rather wait until such time one is released. 

• RMweb Gold

I am truly sorry you feel like this,Kal.I view things rather differently.Yes,there is the obvious bonus of a limited edition model.I enjoy the magazine.It doesn't pretend to be anything other than an in house publication but the articles are informative,well written and presented and illustrated with appropriate photos.It caters for all ages and tastes.It also involves the enthusiast in what is happening in the various stages of planning,development and production.For me,it demonstrates that Bachman cares for its client group.That IS important.

Finally,I am very happy to have the calendar hanging on the wall in my study above my PC.These are of a consistently high standard.

Perhaps when you have swallowed your disappointment,you might reconsider. P.S.....don't forget the exclusive club events,such as preview at the Coventry Transport Museum last year and the Bluebell Railway event last summer.

Usual disclaimers apply.

I am truly sorry you feel like this,Kal.I view things rather differently.Yes,there is the obvious bonus of a limited edition model.I enjoy the magazine.It doesn't pretend to be anything other than an in house publication but the articles are informative,well written and presented and illustrated with appropriate photos.It caters for all ages and tastes.It also involves the enthusiast in what is happening in the various stages of planning,development and production.For me,it demonstrates that Bachman cares for its client group.That IS important.

Finally,I am very happy to have the calendar hanging on the wall in my study above my PC.These are of a consistently high standard.

Perhaps when you have swallowed your disappointment,you might reconsider. P.S.....don't forget the exclusive club events,such as preview at the Coventry Transport Museum last year and the Bluebell Railway event last summer.

Usual disclaimers apply.

I do not disagree with anything you said, it is all very good BUT not why I join the club. I join to buy Modern Image Locos and MU that I could not otherwise buy. Everything else is a nice to have, and very Good too, as you said ........ but not my raison d'être.

I do not feel in any way disappointed, but I am not going to pay for next years until I know it will have a return on my investment. Last years subscription I will write off to experience.

Edit to fix spelling mistake.

Everyone is entitled to decide how they want to spend their money.

I have been a member of the Bachmann Collectors Club for years now. I like it, whether or not they offer special locomotive models. I've only purchased a couple of them over the years.

They do listen to their membership. Diesel fanciers complained that the annual calendar contained nothing but steam locomotives. This year the calendar contains diesel locomotives.

They have offered both diesel and steam models. That they should be expected to follow some kind of pattern of steam and diesel or some kind of regional equity seems a bit unreasonable to me.

If I'm offered something I want - I'll buy it. If I'm not, I won't.

I will say that as Bachmann continues to improve their on-line communications, some important aspects of the club (like development updates) are less exclusive and that changes the value proposition a bit, particularly when it takes so long for the magazine to reach me in the wilds of the great northwest.

I think the Club is in general very good value. This year wagon not my era and sold for £12 no idea if they will do a railway visit this year? Even if there isnt one its only cost £13 at the moment.Still thinking about the GCR J11 !! which will probably be a good investment.

Last year was a freebie day  to the Bluebell Railway inc a free lunch and shows around various workshops. The ticket alone for the trip would have been £18  so a no brainer for £25 a year a total bargain.

Still thinking about the GCR J11 !!

Well done Bachmann

I received mine late yesterday when I returned from work. I haven't had a chance to run it, but it is a very fine locomotive. It's a darker green than Butler-Henderson, but the same green as the 8K released some time ago by the NRM.

Jenny

you will find that the J11 is better of without the clunky metal coal 'lump'. It bears down on the wheels/pickups and exerts a real drag force effect.

If you replace it with something light and plasticky -and imitation coal - you will find that it hauls more.

The circular plastic is (I think) for fitting a speaker should you go the sound route.

Paul

• RMweb Premium

You may as well join the club than pay that!!!

I did and mine has just arrived in deepest Europe.  What a little beauty.

I am sorry for those that have been disappointed that it was not a diesel or LMS or...... but it is still a lovely model.  Now to build some GCR wagons.

• RMweb Gold

Collector's Club web showing "sold out". One on e-bay at £159. And so it goes......

Everything on the collectors site showing out of stock for me, might just be a glitch.

I was under the impression that items disappeared from the site once sold out?

• RMweb Premium

I was under the impression that items disappeared from the site once sold out?

No quite. They move to the past products page, but not immediately. Last time I looked, neither the C Class and 47522 had migrated so do not currently appear at all on the website.

I've just spoken to Bachmann; there had been a systems glitch over the weekend and the 9J hasn't quite sold out yet - a few minutes ago there were still 29 remaining so if you do want one get in quick as I'd say that's only a few days worth at this stage in the proceedings.

There's also a handful of Hobie Elliott D11 left, Class 85, Royal Sleeping Car and the bargain in there is the Royal Oak Jinty http://Bachmann-collectorsclub.co.uk/products/00-scale-products/class-3f-jinty-no-47445.html at £58.45 which would be a simple relivery when getting hold of vanilla Jinties is a bit difficult at the moment.

Just wondering if anyone with the GCR 9J can take a photo of the underside of the tender for me please? I took mine out to run it tonight and can't decide if the brake rodding at the very front is broken or just bent a little out of shape. Hope it's the latter!

Thanks in advance.

Only 28 now?

Just ordered J9 mainly due to it's association with Trafford Park shed, although long gone when I used to bunk Trafford Park in the fifties

Although the "shed" was run down due to wartime bombing, there was always a good mix of locos Brits, Jubilees,Scots other ex LMS types plus LNER locos, drivers were quite friendly although shed foreman would chase us out a few times.

The Jubilees and Royal Scots would be prepared for the morning Palatine which would pass Ayres Road , Old Trafford bridge about 9.00am

• RMweb Premium

Yes, I sold mine on ebay, yes I profiteered, but it paid for my 2013/4 membership which I was disappointed with.

Can you put your wishlist up on here please?

That way, if anything that you really want comes up, we can all snap them up and put them on ebay to return the favour.

Still, it was good to hear over the weekend that this has been Bachmann's quickest selling "Collector's club" model. Perhaps we pre-grouping types are not quite as scarce as I thought.

Hopefully it will encourage further GCR models, especially as things like the tender and a number of other fittings were used on a range of locos.

Tony

Archived