New 16' x 8' Shed

Campaman

Hi

Got my new 16 x 8 shed coming next week so I can move out of the loft (modern house with all the trusses is a pain)

Looking for ideas on how best to use the space.

I am a 4mm modeller, and the shed has double doors centered on the long length.

Initial thoughts are possibly some form of dumbbell as I would like a continuous run, or could consider a lift out section over the doors.

My interest is late steam/early diesel and I plan on building my own turnouts where required so geometry is not restricted to one of the track systems.

Any ideas?

Before you "break your neck" planning and building any kind of a layout, answer the simple question-----"Does this shed have any kind of insulation?"

If it doesn't, you will freeze in the winter and boil in the summer, if we ever get one. Additionally, you are going to need some form of background heating and whilst I'm here, security! It's no use starting on any layout only to realise these items are required later. 

"A man should have a good shed, if only to hide in." John Wass 2003 just as he retired.

Insulation and electric sockets and lighting,  

A dumb bell sounds good, maybe two level with hidden loops below the main scenic section,  I would go with 3 rd radius as a minimum on the dumb bell loops but 16X8 should work well with a single station but the dumb bell loops do eat up operating space...

post-21665-0-79510700-1392852524_thumb.png

• RMweb Gold

ive done a continuous run in my 12x6 shed, set it up as a figure of 8 so its dual level, (inspired by 250bob's layout) the door section is removable (the door is on the end in my case)

have a look here....

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/69543-a-new-shed-and-layout-from-the-ground-up-follow-on-from-birmingham-central-thread/

its all come to a stop at the mo while i wait for the electricity to be wired in, you may get a few ideas from what ive done so far though

The practical side including insulation, electrics, heating, Lighting, cooling and security have all been taken into account and will be taken care of, its ideas on how best to use the space.

Looking at that drawing I can see that the dumbbell idea does eat up a lot of space to fit the curves required in, another idea I have had is with a lift out or hinged flap over the door, but with a design that can also be used end to end without the door portion being used.

I plan on an open frame type of baseboard (same as I have in the loft) so different levels would be an easy option.

Thanks for the input so far.

The practical side including insulation, electrics, heating, Lighting, cooling and security have all been taken into account and will be taken care of, its ideas on how best to use the space.

Looking at that drawing I can see that the dumbbell idea does eat up a lot of space to fit the curves required in, another idea I have had is with a lift out or hinged flap over the door, but with a design that can also be used end to end without the door portion being used.

I plan on an open frame type of baseboard (same as I have in the loft) so different levels would be an easy option.

Thanks for the input so far.

That's good to know that you have heating etc covered. A measurement which maybe important to you is the length of your arms. I've seen some wonderful layouts which when fully scenified could not be maintained. Derailments were impossible to reach. If you build at a height which you can easily "duck under", that's not having to bother about weather some-one of a short stature could see the trains, and if your door opened outwards, then you don't need a removable section. That could save you alot of work.

I wish you well in your endeavours.

• RMweb Gold

Probably stating the obvious, but sheds are usually given by their outside dimensions. By the time you insulate and board the interior, you will be doing well if you have 15'6" x 7'6" left. That can make quite a difference to your layout plan as it is not much length for 00 anyway. If you are looking for mainline operation, think about modelling only one end of the station. Other scheme that works well in that sort of space is a high-level terminus with a continuous run and reversing loop at the lower level.

Archived