Czech HO "Dacice" Layout

squeaky

Well I'm finally getting this started now, my new layout is a Czech one!

It's going to be 8' x 18", with a add on fiddle yard on the right hand end. The era is going to be 1990 onwards really. I'm basing the track plan on "Dacice", with compression.

Well here is the track plan, tell me what you think.

post-7333-0-72717500-1392838249_thumb.jpg

The base board is built and i've printed the plan to see how it looks.

post-7333-0-86057600-1392838639_thumb.jpg

Any comments welcome.

Edited by squeaky

Is it Czech practice to use 3 way points? It is prototypical (and a space saver) to have them in Germany. Also, there is only one freight siding; I have three on Höchstädt, which definitely makes shunting more interesting.

Bill

The track plan is typical of many stations built during the Austro-Hungarian Empire, it's a very functional track layout and provided the tracks are the correct relative length (as yours are) you can't really go wrong with it!

I look forward to seeing it progress! Don't forget to put wasp-stripes around the base of the lights, put black and white edging on the platforms and make sure there's more grass than ballast around the track! :yes:

Cheers,

Jack

• RMweb Gold

The track plan does look very much like many Czech branch line termini.

Look forward to seeing this take shape. Looks like you are going to get the track down before I do on Dobris as I have to alter my HO American to make it modular for this Summer..

Ian

• RMweb Gold

Another advantage of this type of station layout -  typical throughout Europe - is that you can extend it into a through station if you want.

Watch out for one thing. The line nearest the station building is not usually for use by passenger trains, just freight.

Edit to add: I know that I bore for Britain about this aspect of layout design but....... do look at angling the track so that it is not parallel to the baseboard edge. Looks much better and, in this case, will even allow you to lengthen the loops a bit.

Edited by Joseph_Pestell

Watch out for one thing. The line nearest the station building is not usually for use by passenger trains, just freight.

Edit to add: I know that I bore for Britain about this aspect of layout design but....... do look at angling the track so that it is not parallel to the baseboard edge. Looks much better and, in this case, will even allow you to lengthen the loops a bit.

Agreed!

The nearest track is known in German speaking parts as the "ladegleis", or in English "loading track". The middle track would be Track 1, the track nearest the station would be Track 2 and the road the shed siding leaves would be Track 3. Track 2, the Ladegleis will have a weighbridge on it, it's normally a little building next to the tracks with a short section of track on a large steel plate. Basically the wagons would be propelled into the siding being weighed as required. In your era it may be out of use, or still in use, either way it will probably still exist because Continentals are less inclined to demolish infrastructure that may be needed again, unlike Britain!

Keeping tracks away from being parallel looks to my eyes like an arbitrary slice of reality, it feels in a way a little more natural and even makes the track seem to flow more fluidically. You also get the bonus of extra length!

Cheers,

Jack

I agree with the points raised by Joseph and Jack. On Höchstädt (DB, 1960) I am forced into an "S" shape to fit the tracks between the engine shed (on the arrivals end) and the station building. But it is visually an improvement over a dead straight layout. Also, if your centre track is for passenger use, then there should be a narrow platform and so the tracks could be slightly farther apart. Passengers didn't wait on the platform, but rather in the station building until the train was ready to depart.

Bill

Hey Squeaky,

nice choice for layout. I have only few comments in regards to your plan.

The track that you have close to the station building (T3) is straight.

The track (T2) on the oposite side of T1 (though track always marked 1 or 0) should be further and not converge, see here on http://mapy.cz 49°5'9.397"N, 15°26'21.732"E is much clearer than on google maps.

If I'll have time I'll put into anyrail what I mean and post pic.

Here are some historical pictures, thre does not seem to be too much photo material online alltogether: http://para.unas.cz/vlaky.html

3 way switches would have been used in the past and rather than on main lines their domain would be industrial complexes and branch lines.

Marian

• RMweb Gold

I agree with the points raised by Joseph and Jack. On Höchstädt (DB, 1960) I am forced into an "S" shape to fit the tracks between the engine shed (on the arrivals end) and the station building. But it is visually an improvement over a dead straight layout. Also, if your centre track is for passenger use, then there should be a narrow platform and so the tracks could be slightly farther apart. Passengers didn't wait on the platform, but rather in the station building until the train was ready to depart.

Bill

No yellow line to stand behind on one of those narrow pavements. I made the mistake of going out too early onto the platform at a mainline station in Austria. Quite a scary experience when a fast freight goes past.

Thanks for all the feedback so far, I knew that this wouldn't be the finished track plan and that it would need a few tweaks which is why I posted it up!

I've made a couple of alterations and I think I've numbered the tracks as in Marian's post. Although Jack suggests that the track closest to the station is T2 and the lower track is T3 :scratchhead:

I've moved the point on the far right further to the right making the loops a bit longer, I've also made the gap between T1 and T2 bigger so that a platform can go there as suggested by Bill.

Joseph, my intension is to use this as a terminal station and when I get a bigger room for my layout (The attic) and can make it into a through station.

post-7333-0-98147800-1392914231_thumb.jpg

What do you think?

• Like 2

I've made a couple of alterations and I think I've numbered the tracks as in Marian's post. Although Jack suggests that the track closest to the station is T2 and the lower track is T3 :scratchhead:

I think Marian's post would be correct if the station was a German station, the Austrians number the tracks the other way around and the Czech system was once part of the Austro-Hungarian system and so I believe the numbering would be the same, though I could be wrong.

My understanding is thus: If you're travelling away from a main station, Vienna for example, then as you approach the next station, the main running track is Track 1, the track to your right is Track 2 and the track to your left is Track 3. So if you approach a station which has a single loop on your left, that station would only have a Track 1 and a Track 3, no Track 2!

The track numbers are not the same as the platfom numbers, which are normally numbered in the conventional way.

Cheers,

Jack

I think Marian's post would be correct if the station was a German station, the Austrians number the tracks the other way around and the Czech system was once part of the Austro-Hungarian system and so I believe the numbering would be the same, though I could be wrong.

My understanding is thus: If you're travelling away from a main station, Vienna for example, then as you approach the next station, the main running track is Track 1, the track to your right is Track 2 and the track to your left is Track 3. So if you approach a station which has a single loop on your left, that station would only have a Track 1 and a Track 3, no Track 2!

The track numbers are not the same as the platfom numbers, which are normally numbered in the conventional way.

Cheers,

Jack

Hi the track numbering is correct as you say, but I've gotten mine from this picture:

6.jpg

Nádraží v Dačicích roku 1975. Na první staniční koleji stojí M 131.1 - „Hurvínek“

s přípojným vozem Balm, na druhé staniční koleji se připravuje k posunu 556.0.

"Station in Dacice. M131 "Hurvinek" stands at first station track with a Balm car, on second a 556.0 is getting ready to shunt (the loco is hiden behind a box car on right)"

Therefore, the photographer stood with his back to the main station.

Looking it up now ;)

• Like 1

I said that this layout was going to be 1990 onwards, I always wanted to have a steam loco so here it is. It's just arrived so I haven't even dared take it out of the box yet.

The Zimo sound chip is on order ;)

post-7333-0-29463000-1393062408_thumb.jpg

The other members of the fleet are:-

• Roco Bardotka 751 041 (DCC sound)post-7333-0-47610700-1393062844_thumb.jpg
  • Roco Bardotka 749 250 (DCC sound)post-7333-0-90402900-1393062899_thumb.jpg
  • Roco Goggles 754 067 (DCC sound chip on the way!)post-7333-0-03434200-1393062910_thumb.jpg

I also have a few wagons and coaches.

post-7333-0-03745200-1393062936_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

Nádraží v Dačicích roku 1975. Na první staniční koleji stojí M 131.1 - „Hurvínek“

s přípojným vozem Balm, na druhé staniční koleji se připravuje k posunu 556.0.

"Station in Dacice. M131 "Hurvinek" stands at first station track with a Balm car, on second a 556.0 is getting ready to shunt (the loco is hiden behind a box car on right)"

Therefore, the photographer stood with his back to the main station.

Looking it up now ;)

Can't "Druhe" also mean "other" rather than second?  Let me know if you find out for sure, I've always assumed it's the same as Austria.

Are you going to weather some of those locos Squeaky? Roco have done a great job with the models!

Cheers,

Jack

Yes they will get weathered as some point, first job is to finalise the track plan and start laying some track!

I was going to use concrete sleepered track for the T1 track, but would they use concrete sleepered points, or would that only be on a fast route which this wouldn't be?

Can't "Druhe" also mean "other" rather than second?  Let me know if you find out for sure, I've always assumed it's the same as Austria.

Are you going to weather some of those locos Squeaky? Roco have done a great job with the models!

Cheers,

Jack

Hi Jack, the numbering is the same as Austrian, in 1903 the line was extended to Waidhofen, begining of the line shuld be Kostelec u Jihlavy, in which case 2 would be besides station building, 3 on the other side.

Description of the photograph I have quoted has confused me, it actually states "na druhe stanicni koleji" which I would translate as second station track.

I ve also read that on lower importance branchlines only main track was numbered 1.

Also a cube sugar was invented in Dacice in 1843 by J.K. Rad.

The station had wooden sleepers before reconstruction, switches with wooden sleepers are there even after reconstruction.

Threre are some cool pics here http://para.unas.cz/ in "Fotogalerie" too.

And here Dacice by me :)

mij7mv.png

BR

Marian

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Nice project Squeaky.

My Czech branch is on hold for a bit but lots of information on here. Marian as usual coming up with the goods.

Looking forward to this developing.

Rob.

Yes they will get weathered as some point, first job is to finalise the track plan and start laying some track!

I was going to use concrete sleepered track for the T1 track, but would they use concrete sleepered points, or would that only be on a fast route which this wouldn't be?

They would almost certainly use wooden sleepered points. The reason is that points vary so much in their geometery, so it's easier to build them bespoke for each location by cutting down timbers, you can't cut down concrete sleepers.

Hi Jack, the numbering is the same as Austrian, in 1903 the line was extended to Waidhofen, begining of the line shuld be Kostelec u Jihlavy, in which case 2 would be besides station building, 3 on the other side.

Description of the photograph I have quoted has confused me, it actually states "na druhe stanicni koleji" which I would translate as second station track.

I ve also read that on lower importance branchlines only main track was numbered 1.

I didn't realise it extended through, that makes sense then. Thanks!

Cheers,

Jack

Marian, thanks I like your trackplan, I would like to do it this way it just looks better. The only thing I need to check is that there is room for the impressive station building, it ia a rather large station building for quite a small town.

Do you have the Anyrail any file that you could send me, I can get it printed full size and see how it looks on my 8' x 18" board?

So T1 through the middle can be concrete track but all the points are wooden?

I'm using Peco code 75 medium points

Hi all,

until 2007 the station was on wooden sleepers http://para.unas.cz/leto.html then modernized in 2008 and all station tracks except switches are on concrete http://para.unas.cz/leto08.html

I think you can put concrete sleepered track on main track, but make sure that you will have a lot of grass in, because after modernization the station tracks are kept in presetable condition.

I forgot to mention that the track I used is peco coded 75, yes I can send you the anyrail file, send me your email via PM. If I'm counting right, the building size should be some 6*6.5inches (main building), based on dimensions here http://www.k-report.net/budova-16h/popis-foto/?id=43 to save space and fit the building you may have to run the tracks parallel to the layout endge or slice the building through and use only a part of it, but i would not do this to building for 40 Eur, if you are planning on scratchbuilding it then yes.

As I said before I am willing to help anyone with Czech layout/stuff, simply because I can't have my own just yet.

Edit: if you have tracks parallel to the board edge, you may then easily extend the station by inserting a mid piece to get longer tracks, just  thought..

BR

Marian

Edited by mastanec

• RMweb Gold

Squeaky, just been looking at Dacice on Google earth street view. Great views of the station and surrounding area. The building marked on your plan as 'engine shed',looks to be more of a permanent way shed....possibly used to house Czech equivalent of a Wickham trolley..etc

The line continues off to the left of your plan, behind the engine shed. The line crosses a small bridge, over what appears to be a small stream, before an ungated level crossing.This area is begging to be modelled. ..!!!

Also found this.

http://www.modelkrajiny.cz/produkty/zeleznice/stavby/nadrazi-dacice.aspx

Rob

Edited by nhy581

Squeaky, just been looking at Dacice on Google earth street view. Great views of the station and surrounding area. The building marked on your plan as 'engine shed',looks to be more of a permanent way shed....possibly used to house Czech equivalent of a Wickham trolley..etc

The line continues off to the left of your plan, behind the engine shed. The line crosses a small bridge, over what appears to be a small stream, before an ungated level crossing.This area is begging to be modelled. ..!!!

Also found this.

http://www.modelkrajiny.cz/produkty/zeleznice/stavby/nadrazi-dacice.aspx

Rob

That's exacty the 1 I was refering to it would be shame to cut building for 40€. Te same company also offers Dacice goods shed http://www.modelkrajiny.cz/produkty/zeleznice/stavby/skladiste-dacice.aspx and toilets http://www.modelkrajiny.cz/produkty/zeleznice/stavby/zachodky-dacice.aspx .

Just fund this now: http://para.unas.cz/dacice-vlecka.html in between years 1954-56 a Jednota (Coop) wholesale was built in Dacice, it had its own sidings, the remaints of this are still in place today 49°4'24.572"N, 15°26'12.476"E and the place is used by building supplies company.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks to Marian, Squeaky, these photos from the same site as above.....

Hope they help.

Rob

post-14122-0-47007200-1393157966.jpg

post-14122-0-04413400-1393157984.jpg

post-14122-0-84259900-1393157995.jpg

post-14122-0-20851000-1393158009.jpg

Thats exactly the one I'm going to buy, it is a model of Dacice!

As Marian says it would be shame to have to cut the building down to get it to fit in, I would like to have the whole station building it's such a great looking structure.

Now I need some more wooden sleepered points, anyone want some concrete sleepered ones, they are in the classifieds if you are intrested :)