SE Finecast

Mallard60022

• RMweb Premium

Heads up!

I had to post here as SEF have excelled.

Phoned order yesterday at 15.30ish. Arrived this morning. King Arthur chassis/bogie tender kit + watercart tender & chassis kit.

What a really helpful set up this is too (not the first time I've used them of course).

Well done lads, really appreciated.

Phil R @ 36E

• Like 7

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Another 'gold star' for Dave at SEF. Phoned him this morning to ask about spares for an ancient G6 kit. Despite being up to his eyes in work (good news for SEF) he had time for me and my questions and was, as always, helpful and tolerant of my vagueness! He also apologised that the bits might not be in the post today!

I'm having an M7 chimney to replace the original on the G6 and I'm also getting 3 push pull kits for M7s. I hadn't even realised that SEF did a P&P kit.

P

• 2 weeks later...

Dave Ellis' spares service back-up is second-to-none, and deserves wider publicity. Every part from every kit is available separately, no matter how trivial. It's very similar to how Volkswagen-Audi spares were in the 1980s and 1990s whenever I needed a part.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

My experince with Dave is also second to none. Being after a collection of somewhat strange mix of parts, his service was excellent. I was after some steps for replacing the plastic ones on Honrby T9s and some chimneys for his Caley 0-6-0T. He sent out the wrong chimneys to start with (the stovepipe ones, when I wanted the original pattern) and was full of aplogies when i phoned him up. Indeed he replaced them FOC and his help with the steps was amazing, as he had to go through his drawings and discover which ones were seperate castings. It paid off for him though, I ended up buying about 20 sets of each type!

Also the quality of his castings is excellent as well.

If only the other manufacturers were as enlightened as Dave, life for Bodgers like me would be a lot easier!

Andy G

• Like 2

I have known and delt with Dave for about 25+yrs, from when he had a shop in Felbridge - You won't find a more helpful and genuine guy - Well done Dave, Top Marks.

Cheers, Bob.

• RMweb Premium

Sadly, there is going to be the issue soon that folks like Dave (and Adrian at ABS) are going to retire, and then what happens to the supply?

Andy G

I have known and delt with Dave for about 25+yrs, from when he had a shop in Felbridge - You won't find a more helpful and genuine guy - Well done Dave, Top Marks.

Cheers, Bob.

Do I miss that shop.

• 3 years later...

A few years ago I bought a kit of a GWR 2021 saddle tank from NuCast when it was still under the old regime.  When I came to start it a few months later I discovered that the casting of the front of the saddle tank (the bit the smokebox door fits into) was missing.  I approached the then-owner of NuCast and got a very guarded reception, insisting that I supplied some sort of proof that it was one of his kits because he wasnt going to provide replacement parts for a kit produced by one of the previous owners of the company.  By the time I'd found the required proof the company had ceased trading.

Fast forward a few years to Scaleforum a couple of weeks ago and as I walked past the SE Finecast stand I noticed a poster announcing that the next kit to become available in the revived former NuCast range was going to be the 2021 saddle tank.  I paused, told him my tale of woe and was handed a notebook on which to write my needs and details.

"It'll be a few days."  He warned.

What I expected was a communication telling me whether or not the casting I needed was available yet, what it would cost me it and how much P&P would be.

Instead, what I found waiting for me on my doormat when I got home from work that Thursday was a small jiffy-bag containing a replacement saddle tank front, totally FOC.

No merely service with a smile; more like service par excellence with an amiable grin!

• Like 9

My experience with Dave from S.E.Finecast going back over 23 years has been exemplary.

A better man in the industry you will not find !

Always chatty, always friendly, always helpful. There's a fair few in the industry that could learn a lot from him !

• Like 1

Is the Branchlines one not suitable? I thought that had P4 spacers included in the etch.

Well, I was not aware that Branchlines even did a P chassis and from my side of the pond the SEF one seems easiest to get, that was why I asked. All that said, which one would be better for P4 as both seem to be etched.

Cheers,

David