SE Finecast

Mallard60022

3 hours ago, cctransuk said:

I think that it is fair to say that a significant number of potential users will be unable to access this website until SEF have it updated.

This is bound to affect their turnover.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Perhaps I should emphasise the point that I was trying to make?

There is little point in those who can access the SEF site posting to that effect - it remains a fact that, until SEF update their site, a significant proportion of those wishing to use it will not be able to do so.

It is in SEF's interest to do this.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

1 hour ago, Siberian Snooper said:

For those of you that can't access SE Finecast website, here's Dave's phone number  01342 824711.

Now that is the single most useful posting to this thread !!

Regards,

John Isherwood.

I should note that I have found that I am unable to access the website when I omit the leading "www." from the address, but can access it when I include it.

This is unusual for modern websites, as it is generally considered that the www is redundant. I think that this website has been inconsistent in whether it can be accessed without the www prefix.

• Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, jamespetts said:

I should note that I have found that I am unable to access the website when I omit the leading "www." from the address, but can access it when I include it.

This is unusual for modern websites, as it is generally considered that the www is redundant. I think that this website has been inconsistent in whether it can be accessed without the www prefix.

With or without the www. it doesn't work for me.

However, I have just received the following message that may explain the problem :-

Secure Connection Failed

An error occurred during a connection to www.sefinecast.co.uk.

Cannot communicate securely with peer: no common encryption algorithm(s).

Error code: SSL_ERROR_NO_CYPHER_OVERLAP

The page you are trying to view cannot be shown because the authenticity of the received data could not be verified.
Please contact the web site owners to inform them of this problem.

It would certainly appear that the problem will persist until SEF update their website.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• RMweb Premium

Maybe some folks' security thing is more sensitive that others?  Can be annoying I suppose but ……..is there a way of enabling certain websites to become 'trusted'? I have no idea as I know nothing about doing this sort of thing as many well know.

P

• Friendly/supportive 1

I think Dave ,a scholar and gent ,is still basically analogue.That  should answer any snotty remarks  from the digitally enabled  but  hardly well mannered sections on this forum .The man ploughs his  own furrow and long may he do so .

Edited by friscopete
  • Like 1
  • Agree 8

• RMweb Gold

As has been said repeatedly already it is probably that their website code is now obsolete and until they fix by modernising the code the site doesn't work with most modern browsers. Nothing as users we can do until they do fix it by updating the code.

I am sympathetic. As I know from the websites I try and find time to manage they reach a point where a rebuild is necessary, even vital for e-trading and commerce sites. York MRS I've done as the Mk1 PayPal Advance tickets payment system became problematic a couple of shows back, the key pages on my own got done (and then a Wordpress glitch corrupted it so although working again it needs further fault finding and tweaking) and the SLS is in the queue. If any one wants to take on the latter please PM me as we are currently trying to get a new IT person as I've moved over to doing, and prioritising, the Journal.

Edited by john new
  • Thanks 1

As a website builder I agree that the website is like something from the dark ages (of t'Intenet), but I have no problem opening it in any of the browsers installed on my laptop (Firefox, Opera, Edge, IE and Chrome). All are the latest versions,

I never use a phone for Internet use, so can't comment on those.

I think the problem might be a Chrome one as they are being very proactive in trying to block websites that don't have a security certificate attached (i.e. full address begins https://.... not http://...)

It wouldn't take too long to rebuild that site as a modern, responsive, site using any online site builder.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

This looks like a problem of the nanny state. The SE Finecast website isn't actually selling anything - the 'ordering' information simply tells you to phone or fax (remember those?,) quoting the numbers - so SSL encryption should be perfectly adequate (in fact, pretty unnecessary). So if your browser says it can't talk because it cant get a 'handshake' in TLS, use an older one. Any browser should really give you the option to make your own decisions about such things (and most probably do it you explore their options) but they and we are victims of our lowest common denominator society, which says we must make it easy for the slowest/laziest/most ignorant among us, whatever the inconvenience for the vast majority.

• Like 2
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Premium

That is one way of looking at it.  Another is to liken the website to trying to drive a tram down a motorway.  Things have moved on and it seems the site has not.  I accept that the owner is not an IT geek and does not want to be.  I can fully empathise with that since that would be me as well, but I would find some geek who could drag my site into this decade if it were losing me sales - even if you cannot buy directly from the site - another piece of tram technology perhaps.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

I've had limited contact with Mr. Ellis, but I found him to be spot-on.  His terms of business are his, and as such, work well for him. His rules seem simple to me. A little outdated perhaps, but it seems sound nonetheless. 

No relation, but a satisfied customer.

Ian.

• Like 1
  • Agree 6

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, tomparryharry said:

I've had limited contact with Mr. Ellis, but I found him to be spot-on.  His terms of business are his, and as such, work well for him. His rules seem simple to me. A little outdated perhaps, but it seems sound nonetheless. 

No relation, but a satisfied customer.

Ian.

Agreed - one of the nicest and most helpful guys in the business :)

No connections etc. etc.

• Agree 4

• RMweb Premium

" I want it all, I want it now". Hard cheese, pick up a pen and get some paper and then get someone to show you how to write a letter. I give up with so many people that just can't cope without their gadgets to do the work. Load of b#####ks.

A. R$£

• Like 3
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Premium

The contact details for SE finecast are all there under the " how to order" tab. The website is a catalogue, there is a clear price list online. 

Clear as a bell. I have done so in the past, stuff has arrived. And good stuff it tends to be. 

Odd thought, I actually like writing a letter to a supplier. Why?  Well, I have seen letters written by the Caledonian Railway to their suppliers. Very formal, typed on typewriters made by the Underwood Typewriter Co. Ltd of 120 Victoria St , London. Really . 

So I may extrapolate my modelling to ordering parts in the same way as the CR did , a rather nice letter complete with a cheque.

I find it very satisfying somehow.. 

• Agree 2

Works ok for me on Apple.

South Eastern Finecast                     Telephone + 44 (0) 1342 824711

Glenn House                                       Fax            + 44 (0) 1342 822270

Hartfield Road

FOREST ROW                                   Back to Contents Page

East Sussex

RH18 5DZ

We are pleased to accept orders by post, telephone, fax or personally at shows in the UK.                                     

Please print clearly, giving full details of your name and address and the kits you require.

Payment Methods

Cheque, Postal Order, Visa/Master Card (Please state card number, expiry date and last 3 digits of security code)

Overseas Customers please pay by Visa/Master Card or cheques in �Sterling drawn on a UK Bank

Postage and Packing

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Andy Hayter said:

So that would be the tab on the website that many of us cannot open.

Words fail me.

Contact details are easily found on the net, EVEN if you can't access his own website. He also advertises regularly in the magazines. Words fail ME.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1