Peak Photos and Memories

Forty years ago, on this day in 1980 I tried out my new SLR camera.

scan0034.jpg.ca547c5f809cdb4cbb657e44d8b2ebd3.jpg

Laira's 46026 Leicestershire and Derbyshire Yeomanry runs into Weston-super-Mare with the 10.35 Leeds to Paignton service. KR 17/1/80.

• Like 10

DSCF5797.JPG.e4ba1437e882ae8bc08629d3849eb999.JPG

I thought I'd add a photo of 45 132. Currently at North Weald on the Epping and Ongar railway. Hopefully I think it will be running at one of their galas this year after being restored. 

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Heres some, a few at locations we havent seen yet in this thread - may have been seen before on other threads but included here for completeness, all taken 1976 - 79. Apologies for my appalling record keeping, don't have numbers where they are not self evident...

Just investigating getting more slides scanned so may be more to come....enjoy!

Southbound at Abbotswood - 

000030.JPG

Ludlow racecourse

2013-10-08_6.JPG

Not sure of this next location - Sheffield Midland perhaps?

000065.JPG

Southbound on ammonia tanks at Abbotswood

4 cropped.jpg

Northbound out of Worcester at KGV playing fields

000038 cropped.jpg

Derby works

45 40 Derby.jpg

46026 south bound at Norton Junction on empty clays

000054.JPG

Northbound at Bristol Parkway

2013-08-28_3.JPG

Edited by Phil Bullock
  • Like 9
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

• RMweb Gold
18 minutes ago, eastwestdivide said:

Yes. The canopy decoration and the now-demolished building behind are the giveaways.

Cheers - never took many phots there, usually just passing through so nice to know memory hasn't totally deserted me.... yet!

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Phil Bullock said:

Heres some, a few at locations we havent seen yet in this thread - may have been seen before on other threads but included here for completeness, all taken 1976 - 79. Apologies for my appalling record keeping, don't have numbers where they are not self evident...

Just investigating getting more slides scanned so may be more to come....enjoy!

Southbound at Abbotswood - 

000030.JPG

Ludlow racecourse

2013-10-08_6.JPG

Not sure of this next location - Sheffield Midland perhaps?

000065.JPG

Southbound on ammonia tanks at Abbotswood

4 cropped.jpg

Northbound out of Worcester at KGV playing fields

000038 cropped.jpg

Derby works

45 40 Derby.jpg

46026 south bound at Norton Junction on empty clays

000054.JPG

Northbound at Bristol Parkway

2013-08-28_3.JPG

Hi Phil,

The photograph of the ammonia tanks is interesting as I was unaware that locomotives ever carried Haz-Chem boards on their lamp brackets.

Gibbo.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

On 15/01/2020 at 08:42, DY444 said:

It's not Derby.  I think its York depot as the signals are of the pattern used in the post war signalling schemes at York and Newcastle (amongst others).

It is York. The locos are at the south end of the stabling point, with the NRM yard in front

1 hour ago, Gibbo675 said:

Hi Phil,

The photograph of the ammonia tanks is interesting as I was unaware that locomotives ever carried Haz-Chem boards on their lamp brackets.

Gibbo.

Nor me.

A few years after that photo I was in Bristol TOPS and produced trainlists for the ammonia tanks from ICI Severnside to Haverton Hill. 

Nasty stuff, which required a brake van for the guard, so as not to walk past the tanks in the event of an incident.

cheers

Edited by Rivercider
Additional info
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, Rivercider said:

Forty years ago, on this day in 1980 I tried out my new SLR camera.

scan0034.jpg.ca547c5f809cdb4cbb657e44d8b2ebd3.jpg

Laira's 46026 Leicestershire and Derbyshire Yeomanry runs into Weston-super-Mare with the 10.35 Leeds to Paignton service. KR 17/1/80.

Sorry you only need one BSO in a rake, and just because they ended up in the bargain bin......

Oh!...

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
On 17/01/2020 at 17:54, Rivercider said:

Nor me.

A few years after that photo I was in Bristol TOPS and produced trainlists for the ammonia tanks from ICI Severnside to Haverton Hill. 

Nasty stuff, which required a brake van for the guard, so as not to walk past the tanks in the event of an incident.

cheers

Cheers Kevin

I dont suppose you happen to know which tanks were being used in the early 70s by any chance?

• RMweb Gold
21 minutes ago, Rugd1022 said:

45 045 at Saltley in '83 (there are still some marks in the brickwork on this bridge) and 45 149 at the Glos & Warks….

FB 45045 WWHth 1983.jpg

DSCF3600 (2).JPG

A good illustration of why nose ends were initially favoured in BR diesel design I guess Nidge...

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
On 17/01/2020 at 16:12, Gibbo675 said:

Hi Phil,

Gibbo.

Cheers - and I have never seen it elsewhere either!

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Phil Bullock said:

Cheers Kevin

I dont suppose you happen to know which tanks were being used in the early 70s by any chance?

Sorry Phil, it was 1978 when I went into Bristol TOPS,

cheers

• Thanks 1

On 15 January 2020 at 13:08, keefer said:

Do you recall what day of the week you travelled on? The worst of the weather affecting the ECML started on the 12th Jan until about the 15th. Trains on the SR continued to be affected badly until the 18th, when conditions eased a bit.

I got this from Derbysulzers, but no mention of any cl.45s

https://web.archive.org/web/20160414112747/http://derbysulzers.com/snowb.html  (scroll down for 1987)

[Accessed via Wayback Machine as site seems to be down]

Hi Keefer, thanks for the suggestion, sorry for the delay in replying. Looking back I believe that it was Monday the 12th January 1987. The reasoning behind this thinking is that the trip had been planned for a while and the week prior to the trip the snowy weather wasn't forecast to be as bad as it turned out to be. We had no way of getting in touch everyone on the day until they showed up at Brighton. In fairness we probably wouldn't have left Sussex had we known how bad it was going to turn out. But back then there was no 24 hour news, no mobile phones, no internet etc etc so no way of knowing. I know so little about class 45 workings especially around this area at this time. Is it possible that this was a 'scratch working' due to the bad weather? Or were there still scheduled 45 workings between Peterborough and Norwich? If it was a scratch service working then a 45 turning up at Norwich might have been recorded as an interesting event? Like I said it is so long ago and so little to go on. But a least I am fairly sure it was Monday 12th. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I had hoped Derbysulzers might have had more info in their cl.45 section and even more so when I saw there was a 'winter weather' section, both done by year!

Maybe it was a case of not so many people were out and about to note any unusual workings?

Can't help with regular 45 workings I'm afraid, so wouldn't know if certain moves were odd or not.

Coulple from me, small size due to being on my old "dial-up" website, first is 44008 at Glasgow Works Open Day on Saturday 27th June 1981, it had come up north in the consist of a freight, which i saw from a distance at Holyton the week before, it was on it's way to Aviemore which became it's home for a while.

44@glworks.jpg.a055d537c707b6815758c1706dc3913a.jpg 

Second one is 97413 "Amethyst" (ex 45066) at Mossend awaiting its last trip to MC Metals at Springburn, August 1988

45@mossend.jpg.55a8aac707a9687421b297ba855d935c.jpg

Jim

• Like 6

Trev52a  'like' is not a good enough way to respond to those Western Region photos.  A peak and a Western on the centre road at Exeter St David's- gorgeous, just gorgeous.  The Peak heading to Plymouth at Teignmouth with Sprey Point in the background is peachy too.  Lovely stuff.  

Matt W

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1