North American paint equivalents for British paints

jsp3970

It is good to hear that British Rail colors are available in Canada, Humbrol do a wide range suitable for a number of eras. Please do not take the following as a negative comment but my advice would be to use them with care. I have used about 10 types of Acrylic during the 20+ years I have been airbrushing both Military and Rail models. I have also used many types of enamels and lacquer based paints and the one brand I am nervous about using is Humbrol. In my experience their quality control is quite shocking in terms of their suitability for spraying and consistency of colour. Even my favourite paints such as a Tamiya and Model Air can be a pain to spray, but when something goes wrong (no paint flow, spitting airbrush, blocked nozzle etc I can always guess what is causing the problem and get it sorted). Even Lifecolor and Mr Hobby that I personally find are a challenge to spray are usually consistent in the way you have to treat them, Humbrol Acrylic is absolutely horrible because it behaves differently every time you use it with an identical setup. My advice is to test it on something that is not your intended subject and make sure you have laid down a good primer (or another acrylic such as Tamiya) first. Also make sure you mix it very very well and if you are using any of their varnishes in a can make sure the can temperature is warm and that has been shaken for 5 minutes. They separate very easily. I am not the only modeller that has been bitten by Humbrol and I have had to do resprays on two models where I have used them. Despite my comments I hope you are successful if they are all you can find.

Cheers

Chris

Edited by Parthia27

I haven't actually used Humbrol acrylic paint, Chris, so can't comment on its' usability.  I did read that the paint was originally made in China but, after numerous complaints about quality, production was moved back to UK.  

I've mostly used acrylic for airbrushing - Tamiya, Polly S and others without too much difficulty.  However, I started having trouble, as described above, with my Badger airbrush late last year and concluded that things were worn out - especially the nozzle.  I couldn't get replacement parts easily so bought a Paasche double action and things are working fine now.

I do have an extensive collection of Humbrol enamel paints, some of which are decades old but still viable.  However, I've never used them for airbrushing.

My policy has ALWAYs been to use a primer on models, plastic and metal.  My preferred primer is aerosol car primer in either grey or red oxide, depending on topcoat colour.

I also usually use a varnish, preferring Testors' Glosscote, Dullcote or Semi Gloss/Satin, depending on the finish I'm looking for.  I've found that Glosscote is a good base for applying transfers, after which Dullcote or Satin seals everything and covers minor sins.

Cheers

John

I haven't actually used Humbrol acrylic paint, Chris, so can't comment on its' usability.  I did read that the paint was originally made in China but, after numerous complaints about quality, production was moved back to UK.  

I've mostly used acrylic for airbrushing - Tamiya, Polly S and others without too much difficulty.  However, I started having trouble, as described above, with my Badger airbrush late last year and concluded that things were worn out - especially the nozzle.  I couldn't get replacement parts easily so bought a Paasche double action and things are working fine now.

I do have an extensive collection of Humbrol enamel paints, some of which are decades old but still viable.  However, I've never used them for airbrushing.

My policy has ALWAYs been to use a primer on models, plastic and metal.  My preferred primer is aerosol car primer in either grey or red oxide, depending on topcoat colour.

I also usually use a varnish, preferring Testors' Glosscote, Dullcote or Semi Gloss/Satin, depending on the finish I'm looking for.  I've found that Glosscote is a good base for applying transfers, after which Dullcote or Satin seals everything and covers minor sins.

Cheers

John

Hi John,

I hope Humbrol have sorted out their quality problems as especially in the UK their range of Acrylics is heavily promoted and as in Canada I hate the thought that Humbrol supply an inferior product. I think that if caution is used, the paint is well mixed and tested on a piece of primed plasticard first to establish the best airbrush setup, it should work whatever the quality. However with the paint manufacturing technologies that are now available we shouldn't have to do this, they should work consistently out of the bottle after a good mixing.

I was introduced to airbrushing using Humbrol enamels and never had any problems with these except when I was impatient and didn't mix or thin them properly, that was using a Badger 200 Single Action Airbrush that has long since gone.

Happy days, every Saturday morning I would go to Beatties off Market St in Manchester armed with my paper round pay, buy an Airfix, Monogram or Tamiya Kit, Humbrol Enamels, and take them home for a building and painting session! When I was lucky I would have money from my relatives or parents and saved enough to buy a Hornby or Lima locomotive or wagon. These would not be painted but would still provide hours of fun :-)

Cheers

Chris

Edited by Parthia27

Ha Chris.  I think my airbrush was the 200 or very similar.  It gave many years of service and only gave up the ghost after I probably repeatedly abused it while cleaning.

I have airbrushed Railmatch (Crimson Lake) enamel successfully and I daresay I could do the same with Humbrol.  The trouble is that, while Humbrol remains widely available here, Railmatch enamel paint can no longer be shipped by post, hence the reason for this thread.

I recall that the basement ceiling of our house was festooned with model airplanes (most of which were badly built).

John

Hi John,

Used to love using the Railmatch enamels, wonderful stuff. Their Acrylics were not too bad either, I think I've still got some somewhere along with their thinner. My personal favourite enamel for airbrushing used to be Phoenix, used to be able to get a fantastic egg-shell finish which was superb for decaling :-).

I used to know a chap who painted all his locos by hand using Phoenix enamels using multiple light coats. His results were outstanding and I swore he was winding me up and used an airbrush until I saw him painting a loco at the Nottingham show one year. Amazing stuff.

Badly built planes hanging from the ceiling was a feature of my bedroom too, however it was what I used to learn modelling and though I am by no means what I would call a good modeller, I would not be able to do what I do now without building and painting those kits :-0.

Don't tell anyone, but I still build the odd plastic kit, I've got a bit of an armour fetish that needs to be scratched from time to time, so I go and raid my growing stash of plastic kits in the loft.

I've got a Tamiya 1/35 M51 Super Sherman on my workbench atm (that is being garnished with all sorts of aftermarket goodies), alongside a BN Athearn Genesis GP38-2 and a load of Cannon, Details West and Detail Associates parts, that is slowly morphing into a BNSF patched engine.

Unfortunately the Sherman is getting all my attention atm, and I have just acquired the Meng Models 1/35 Bradley with a full interior which if I am not careful will take up even more of my time!!!

Anyway I digress, I hope the Humbrol works for you, I just thought you and others ought to be warned based on my experience with said brand.

Cheers

Chris

I'm with you on the other kits front but I resist because I'd never finish anything if I were to divert myself.  A friend of mine does make aircraft, armour and most recently an E boat and Type XXIII U boat.  His work is eye wateringly good and he mostly brush paints using acrylic.  He taught me how to use an airbrush and also how to weather.  I have tried but my hand brushing results for both acrylic and enamel are appalling.

I have posted some of my efforts here and will probably do that again.

John

• 5 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

I've been searching around for paint colors here in the US, that would match GWR Light and Dark stone.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Light stone and dark stone were reputedly produced by mixing various quantities of red oxide into white lead paint. Testors acryl is excellent acrylic paint and tends to be aimed at military modelling so there are plenty of tans and browns. This is where I would start looking.

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Jeff.

Yes, I think I get get enough out of a couple of old tins of Phoenix Precision paint that came with me when I moved over.

I think I'll be heading off to the paint department of my local Lowe's, Home Depot or ACE to see if they can create a match! As I model in 16mm/ft and outdoors, I think a smallish pot of each will be fine.

Other than that, I'll be visiting various stores and seeing what I can match up.

Sounds good, probably minimum quantity of a gallon though.....try Wal-Mart for cheaper paint.

By the way, matching colours of acrylic paint in glass jars, such as Testers, is difficult as they always seem to dry a different colour to the way they look in the jar....

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Yup, I may be struggling to use a gallon of anything, unless I get the household authorities to let me paint the house light and dark stone!

• RMweb Premium

Good point Andrew. Thanks.

Phil H, thank you for that link. Very interesting. I'm grateful.

• 4 years later...

When I tried buying a few pots of Scalecoat 1 paint  here in the uK it was going to cost me about 100 uKP plus import duties and VAT and handling,mainly as it would have been sent hazmat  .Luckily I figured out it must be designed for some mainstream use and stated checking paint types.I did remember from an article in the 70's what kind of paint it is  .I found it  here at my local paint dealer for about 30 UKP an litre but of course no special color mixes  . Its an American made paint .As I just wanted black it wasnt a problem .Its exactly the same paint ,bakes on and smells the same .

Edited by friscopete