Peafore Yard - 4mm BR Blue layout shunting layout - Sold

Looks good Rob, I always liked Pallet Lane, this should be a worthy successor.

Good luck with the build.

Your lucky my new one Kingsley, that I will start this week has to be shown THIS APRIL. :no:

All the best,

Andy :sungum: :sungum:

Good luck Andy, sounds 

Looks good Rob, I always liked Pallet Lane, this should be a worthy successor.

Good luck with the build.

Your lucky my new one Kingsley, that I will start this week has to be shown THIS APRIL. :no:

All the best,

Andy :sungum: :sungum:

Good luck with the new one Andy, should keep you busy!

That looks like an interesting project.

You mention the right hand siding may be a coal siding, had you thought about scrap?

If you are taking inspiration from Avon Street there were scrap yards loading out 16t minerals.

cheers

• Like 2

That looks like an interesting project.

You mention the right hand siding may be a coal siding, had you thought about scrap?

If you are taking inspiration from Avon Street there were scrap yards loading out 16t minerals.

cheers

Thanks, good tip re the scrap yard, will have a ponder on that, I have always been quite taken with the idea of doing a scrap yard at some point. It will also give me something to do with the various diecast vehicles that are cluttering up the modelling cupboard. I am also making a model of the Bedford tipper lorry that appears in the photos of the Avon Street link which I think belonged to a scrapper.

• Like 1

Tonight's focus was on the upper level and marking out the track plan:

post-7400-0-09357000-1393275975_thumb.jpg

The station will be to the right of the picture with the track on display forming the station throat. The track nearest the edge of the board is not connected to the rest of the layout and will have a static train displayed on it waiting at a signal near the corner of the board. The stationary train will form a backscene, an idea I picked up from Mike Anson's superb Western Road layout.

The track in front will be wired up and will be used for trains terminating at the mainline station. The loco will uncouple, pull forward and run round back into the fiddle yard. The carriages will then be drawn back of scene later on the pretence of being shunted off by the station pilot. 

I have also cut out the hole in the baseboard for the culvert, the bottom being flush with the bottom of the baseboard frame:

post-7400-0-10329600-1393276283_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Hi, really like the look of this & the idea of the 'train backscene' is inspired! The '2-in-1 but not joined' approach is also clever as you're avoiding the need for all the connecting track. Having followed Pallet Lane, I'm looking forward to watching this develop.

BTW - I assume you're using the EM template in the last picture there only for setting out...? ;)

Hi, really like the look of this & the idea of the 'train backscene' is inspired! The '2-in-1 but not joined' approach is also clever as you're avoiding the need for all the connecting track. Having followed Pallet Lane, I'm looking forward to watching this develop.

BTW - I assume you're using the EM template in the last picture there only for setting out...? ;)

Thanks Rich, you are right about the EM gauge template, I have borrowed it from a club member to help orientate the track, prior to placing the order for the points. I did design the track plan in Xtracad although I do have a preference for laying the track out "for real" as I find by putting some stcok on helps visualise the plan so much more easily.

Part of the brief for this layout was to make a layout that was quicker to put up/take down so that I am more likely to use it at home as well as making it more 1 day show friendly. My children are getting more interested in the model railway but Pallet Lane takes a good 30 minutes to put up so having something that is a bit more plug and play will see it get a bit more home use.  

• Like 2

I hope this may be of use to help give some background to operations on the Avonside Branch.

Here are 2 pages from the TOPS Pre-implementation Survey of August 1972:-

post-7081-0-17580500-1393333190_thumb.jpg

post-7081-0-38184600-1393333215_thumb.jpg

Also a couple of pictures from the branch, albeit taken in 1983:-

post-7081-0-45126800-1393333602_thumb.jpg

08949 propelling molasses tanks for Distillers Ltd over Barton Road Crossing

I think this is the crossing marked 'gates' on the map south of Bristol St Phillps 28/9/83

post-7081-0-92526300-1393333796_thumb.jpg

08949 shunting molasses tanks for Distillers, I think these are the sidings referred to as 'scrap holding sidings'

and are just north of Avon Street. 

a HST can be seen up on the main line 28/9/83

cheers

• Like 15

I hope this may be of use to help give some background to operations on the Avonside Branch.

attachicon.gifscan0011.jpg

attachicon.gifscan0012.jpg

attachicon.gifscan0022.jpg

I think this is the crossing marked 'gates' on the map south of Bristol St Phillps 28/9/83

attachicon.gifscan0023.jpg

08949 shunting molasses tanks for Distillers, I think these are the sidings referred to as 'scrap holding sidings'

cheers

The dark building behind the "08" and the guards van, on the other side of Avon Street, is the covered dock building that later became the home of "Redscaff", a scaffolding company, after the dock was in filed. I worked there during the summer of '76, and often thought how the sidings would make a good foundation for a layout.

• Like 2

The dark building behind the "08" and the guards van, on the other side of Avon Street, is the covered dock building that later became the home of "Redscaff", a scaffolding company, after the dock was in filed. I worked there during the summer of '76, and often thought how the sidings would make a good foundation for a layout.

Hi Chris,

Funny you should mention Redscaff as one of the pictures in the Avon Street link in my original post has a picture of a Redscaff Bedford HA van. Might sound a daft question as I presume "red" will feature in the answer but can you remember what colour the van/signwriting was as I fancy adding it on the layout but it is hard to tell from the black and white picture what colour it should be?

Thanks

Rob

attachicon.gifscan0011.jpg

attachicon.gifscan0012.jpg

attachicon.gifscan0022.jpg

attachicon.gifscan0023.jpg

cheers

Thanks Rivercider, great photos and great inspiration. The scrap yard idea is definitely buiLding momentum as your pre TOPS report indicates quite short rakes of wagons so ideal for my needs. When I laid the upper level track out last night part of the reason for curving it towards the back of the layout was to give greater space on the lower level for the scrap yard.

Edited by 37114
  • Like 1

Hi Chris,

Funny you should mention Redscaff as one of the pictures in the Avon Street link in my original post has a picture of a Redscaff Bedford HA van. Might sound a daft question as I presume "red" will feature in the answer but can you remember what colour the van/signwriting was as I fancy adding it on the layout but it is hard to tell from the black and white picture what colour it should be?

Thanks

Rob

Hi Rob,

yes you're right, from memory the "Redscaff" word was red. Its funny how memory plays tricks with you, but I also seem to remember some vans did not have the full black background, as in photo you referenced. Some had an all white background with the word having a 3D black shadow. The owners of the company must of had shares in Bedford, as about six pictures on from the link in your original post, the Bedford truck, sorry, lorry was also belonging to Redscaff.

I don't remember seeing any scrap traffic from either Habgoods or Newlands on the Avonside Branch

when I started in Bristol TOPS in October 1978, so I presume it had finished some time before that. 

There was  scrap still being loaded in the Bristol Area by Birds and Pugsleys at Stapleton Road in 16t minerals for Llanelli,

the Lawrence Hill 03 pilot was responsible for shunting Stapleton Road and bringing the scrap back to be weighed at 

Lawrence Hill.

I remember the requirements for the cement traffic was shown in the Weekly Freight Train Notice 

The trains were booked from Westbury - Lawrence Hill, and return, and in the late 1970s ran Monday, Wednesday and Friday each week.

The load from Westbury was normally 25 presflos, I think they would be tripped down to Avonside Wharf each day as required probably 10 or 15 at a time. 

We could see part of Avonside Wharf cement depot from the window of the TOPS Office at Temple Meads and sometimes saw the shunting.

I expect you have seen Andy Kirkhams photos of D2121 at Avonside on Flickr, and possibly posted on RMweb somewhere?

cheers 

• Informative/Useful 1

Looking good so far Rob. 
The Leyland Cement lorry looks rather nice, is that made from a kit?

Sort of, the chassis is from the Oxford Diecast ergomatic tipper with modifications, the cab and body are from Road Transport Images. but the body is quite generic so has had new steps, tipping ram, pipework and will have walkway added to represent a Blue CIrcle example. The redundant Oxford tipping body has been shortened and is going on a Bedford chassis/RTI cab to make the Redscaff tipper mentioned earlier.

• Like 1

I don't remember seeing any scrap traffic from either Habgoods or Newlands on the Avonside Branch

when I started in Bristol TOPS in October 1978, so I presume it had finished some time before that. 

There was  scrap still being loaded in the Bristol Area by Birds and Pugsleys at Stapleton Road in 16t minerals for Llanelli,

the Lawrence Hill 03 pilot was responsible for shunting Stapleton Road and bringing the scrap back to be weighed at 

Lawrence Hill.

I remember the requirements for the cement traffic was shown in the Weekly Freight Train Notice 

The trains were booked from Westbury - Lawrence Hill, and return, and in the late 1970s ran Monday, Wednesday and Friday each week.

The load from Westbury was normally 25 presflos, I think they would be tripped down to Avonside Wharf each day as required probably 10 or 15 at a time. 

We could see part of Avonside Wharf cement depot from the window of the TOPS Office at Temple Meads and sometimes saw the shunting.

I expect you have seen Andy Kirkhams photos of D2121 at Avonside on Flickr, and possibly posted on RMweb somewhere?

cheers 

Thanks Kenny, I might have to stretch the truth on the timescales re the scrap workings for my needs.

Re the photos I think I have seen most of Andy's photos across both Flick and www.bristol-rail.co.uk. 03121 is on the to do list although probably won't be until after the layout is finished as think I will have plenty on my plate between now and next year.

• Like 1

The bridge in the first pic of the OP looks like it is going to need some work on the approach ;)

My son and daughter still haven't grasped the concept of a smooth change in gradient. Having said that I never had much luck with gradients on layouts hence why the 2 levels on this one won't be connected!

• Funny 1

Sort of, the chassis is from the Oxford Diecast ergomatic tipper with modifications, the cab and body are from Road Transport Images. but the body is quite generic so has had new steps, tipping ram, pipework and will have walkway added to represent a Blue CIrcle example. The redundant Oxford tipping body has been shortened and is going on a Bedford chassis/RTI cab to make the Redscaff tipper mentioned earlier.

Thanks for the information Rob, that is very useful. I have been thinking about cement tankers for use on my elder son's layout New Southwich if he will let me run it in the late 80s. The body would be perfect as you say to represent Blue Circle.

Thanks again. Good luck with your layout I will be following your progress.

After a mildly heated debate with an  (ex)club member one night as to whether it was right to go to the hassle of building your own points in 00 when you could go P4 I have elected to stick with 00 simply because all my stock is 00 and the cost/time of conversion circa 100 items of stock is too daunting. 

I'd have to say I'd agree with your club member as it's the conclusion I came to before I started building Longcarse West and if I can do P4 anyone can. However, it's your train set and not mine so I'll happily sit back and enjoy reading how you get on with the build.

Cheers

David

P.S. 100 items of stock isn't all that much and you don't have to convert it all at once.

I'd have to say I'd agree with your club member as it's the conclusion I came to before I started building Longcarse West and if I can do P4 anyone can. However, it's your train set and not mine so I'll happily sit back and enjoy reading how you get on with the build.

Cheers

David

P.S. 100 items of stock isn't all that much and you don't have to convert it all at once.

Of course, converting to P4 would mean that the stock couldn't be run on other OO layouts, such as Pallet Lane!

Regards,

Jack