Peafore Yard - 4mm BR Blue layout shunting layout - Sold

I finished the first stage of the wiring tonight as up until now the connections between the control panel and the controller were temporary. To provide some resilience the layout is wired so that the gaugemaster transformer or a hand held unit can control the track, a DPDT switch controlling which is selected. This setup was the same for Pallet Lane and was chosen for 2 reasons:

- Operational resilience - If one plays up the other can be brought into play

- Feedback vs non feedback control - Most of my locos run better with feedback control from the hand held unit but my class 31 has a Hornby chassis and runs better with the non feedback controller

I have also made the basic cassettes for the fiddle yard, they are basically peco track on 9mm ply base and will have aluminium angle section added to ease movement of them. Time will tell how successful they are, I have some reservations about using cassettes and may reconsider using a traverser instead

To test the wiring 37009 had a run tonight:

Great looking broken wall, details like that really do add to the whole layout

Great modelling

Brian

Lovely work, well photographed too.

Question, what is the parentage of the Mini Traveller/Countryman in the middle of the top row in the scrap pile, I've been looking for one :scratchhead:

Thanks in advance

Jinty ;-)

Hi Jinty

The Mini's are Carama ones that have been in the back of the cupboard for about 10 years, I bought loads when they first burst onto the scene. Most of their stuff was 1:72 but it is less noticeable with the Mini's. In addition to the standard mini, they did the countryman and the van (which is underneath the countryman in the pile). I am not sure if you can still get the Carama ones, but maybe worth a scout on ebay.

• Informative/Useful 1

Hi Jinty

The Mini's are Carama ones that have been in the back of the cupboard for about 10 years, I bought loads when they first burst onto the scene. Most of their stuff was 1:72 but it is less noticeable with the Mini's. In addition to the standard mini, they did the countryman and the van (which is underneath the countryman in the pile). I am not sure if you can still get the Carama ones, but maybe worth a scout on ebay.

If you can't find one Jinty let me know I have a couple somewhere. You can have one if you want.

Cheers Peter.

If you can't find one Jinty let me know I have a couple somewhere. You can have one if you want.

Cheers Peter.

Hi Peter,

That's very kind, I'll have a scout around first. I only want one as I had a green one as my first car, it was my mum's but she bought a Triumph 1300 so I inherited the Mini.

Jinty ;-)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have been making some progress on the cement terminal of late, and have added a couple of new structures, namely a bunded fuel tank for diesel for the road vehicles and a control room come traffic office for the cement terminal.

Having looked at pictures of Exeter amongst others there seemed to be a small brick built building close to the silo's. I presume these housed the pumping equipment for the silos as well as controlling the loading of the road tankers. The building  seemed to have a raised floor so I decided they would make a nice scratch-building opportunity.

The fuel tank is a ratio kit with the bund scratch built from brick sheet. A fuel pump will be scratch built over the weekend to go in front of the tank

With some help from Dave, I have also been finishing the areas near the bufferstops. I wanted it to look like the line continued over the road at one stage hence why the wall stops short. I really liked the effect of Mudmagnet's block wall on Acacia Avenue and was tempted to do the same but I found the gate in the spares box and plumped for that instead as the Avon Street yard used similar gates.

Dave was also kind enough to bring over some spare figures as I had been struggling to find 2 suitable looking Men holding flags for the Level crossing.  These were given suitable 1977 style haircuts (i.e long!) with the aid of some brown paint (photos of them next update)

post-7400-0-68344300-1416511209_thumb.jpg

post-7400-0-52153900-1416511256_thumb.jpg

post-7400-0-60711600-1416511387_thumb.jpg

• Like 13

Great work Rob!

The pump house looks perfect and the old line running to the gate also looking good!

Thanks for the mention about Acacia Avenue! I probably pinched the idea from somewhere else anyway.

Thanks Richard, I just need to avoid the temptation to extend the line through the gate in the future! I did promise myself at the start that this layout will always stay small as I wanted a layout ideal for 1 day as well as 2 day shows. 

• Like 3

Quite a few pictures to share and my PC seems to put all the pictures at the bottom of my posts so is easier to split todays update over 2 posts as they cover 2 distinct subjects.

The biggest frustration I had exhibiting Pallet Lane was there were so many different pieces to the Jigsaw all of which had to be carried in an out of the hall at the either end of the show, taking 10 trips between the Hall and the car. I was determined that this would not be the case with Peafore Yard and so have designed the legs and baseboards accordingly. As things like lighting, pelmet and buildings are permanently fixed to the baseboard it is heavy so I was determined to make a wheeled trolley that it could be moved on. In the interests of saving space in the car the legs double up as the trolley and I purchased a set of 80mm diameter castor wheels from Screwfix today. The pictures below show the various stages of how the "trolley" is assembled, it is worth saying that what will take 1 move for Peafore Yard would have taken 6 moves for Pallet Lane.

post-7400-0-55919800-1416693445_thumb.jpg

post-7400-0-48805500-1416693469_thumb.jpg

post-7400-0-07223100-1416693490_thumb.jpg

post-7400-0-83137800-1416693512_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

Hi Rob

This layout just keeps getting better.

The 37 and Mk1s at the higher level with the photographic backscene works perfectly.

I'm also a big fan of the disused track running beyond the buffers and remember a similar idea on Acacia Avenue. Definitely an opportunity for a future extension...

... maybe a small coal yard with 16t minerals or a below track discharge system and couple of air braked HBAs? 

Cheers

Alan

• Like 1

I love the latest additions Rob, the skyline is really effective. Are they all photos of Bristol, or just an urban mixture?

jo

Hi Jo, the photos are both from Bristol, the join is to the right of the gas holder. The eagle eyed will notice Temple Meads station on the skyline.

Hi Rob

This layout just keeps getting better.

The 37 and Mk1s at the higher level with the photographic backscene works perfectly.

I'm also a big fan of the disused track running beyond the buffers and remember a similar idea on Acacia Avenue. Definitely an opportunity for a future extension...

... maybe a small coal yard with 16t minerals or a below track discharge system and couple of air braked HBAs? 

Cheers

Alan

Thanks Alan, I have a couple of 21t hoppers in build as there was a coal depot on the other side of the city centre which would make a nice project in its own right. The trains used to pass through Ashton Meadows sidings which would make a good project and is a potential future project for me in the medium term.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

The photo background adds so much to the overall scene.

I really like the low level views as well.

I'm in full agreement about the figures as well. I do find sourcing suitable figures for 1980's period difficult and also those in static positions.

Just one question about the casters. Are these hard rubber or softer? The only potential problem with the hard rubber is that over a rough surface, the vibrations will be transmitted into the layout. If this the case, may be worth considering using a layer of foam under the layout to dampen the vibration.

The photo background adds so much to the overall scene.

I really like the low level views as well.

I'm in full agreement about the figures as well. I do find sourcing suitable figures for 1980's period difficult and also those in static positions.

Just one question about the casters. Are these hard rubber or softer? The only potential problem with the hard rubber is that over a rough surface, the vibrations will be transmitted into the layout. If this the case, may be worth considering using a layer of foam under the layout to dampen the vibration.

Hi Richard,

The wheels are the harder version, there is some element of give in the wheels but vibration is a concern, the car parks at Cheltenham and Calne stick out as being particularly rough from memory. I like the foam idea so will have a root around the loft! The other idea I had was putting some rubber mat between the wheel mount and where they bolt to the legs

Sourcing of the figures is somewhat a detective challenge, Bachmann do some lovely bang up to date figures such as workman etc plastered in Orange HV clothing but there seems to be a dearth of anything in between 1960's and now. The Presier range do some nice figures which can suit, and the Punks on Pallet Lane got many mentions/smiles over the years. I don't think I photographed it but Dave gave me a white metal figure that looks to be a 1970's driver (complete with BR badge on the Hat!) that he bought in error and is too late for his layout, frustratingly I have no idea who produced it.

Thanks

Rob

• Like 1

Realy looks something now!!

Looking forward to more from this now... :sungum:

Thanks plenty more still to do, not least quite a bit of fencing. I am looking forward to doing the upper level platform, I have 6 BRUTES to make up and a pack of train spotters at the ready. I wonder if Radpido will sell me the APT door stop sandwich as an accessory? Spam of course. Also some rod is in stock for making the bottles of Vimto...

• Like 1