Peafore Yard - 4mm BR Blue layout shunting layout - Sold

Was fortunate to have seen this layout at Cheltenham over the past weekend. Congratulations to Rob on a very nice layout; the track work is very nice as is the execution of the whole effect of the layout is so well done.

Missed it again !

There will be plenty of opportunities over the next 18 months Rob, what with the Gas Cupboard on Thursday night in Trowbridge, Yate in January and Trainwest next year

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

There will be plenty of opportunities over the next 18 months Rob, what with the Gas Cupboard on Thursday night in Trowbridge, Yate in January and Trainwest next year

Not forgetting Barnstaple in July!!!!!!

• Like 1

I had an enjoyable evening last week talking about Peafore Yard to a packed Gas Cupboard, a great shop run by a friendly team. Having had a few days off modelling to enjoy the Wiltshire sun shine, it was back to the workbench tonight. I bought 4 Bachmann 16t mineral wagons from the Gas Cupboard to supplement the 4 I already had, Despite being reasonably accurate there is still plenty to do:

- Fit 3 Link couplings (completed tonight)

- Renumbering

- Fiting tie bars between the brakes

- Weathering

All being well they should be done by July for Barnstaple.

A smaller and less noticeable job was pointed out to me at Cheltenham by Adrian (Hillside Depot) was that 03121 was fitted with a small brass bell. Looking at the photos I found, the bell looked a good size match for a top hat brass bearings with the added advantage they were the right colour.I drilled a small hole in the bonnet top to which I fitted a short length of wire, on top of which the bell was mounted. I also removed one horn as well:

post-7400-0-22813800-1429733493_thumb.jpg

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium

Looking good Rob, I like the 03 and keep umming and ahhing as to whether to invest on one or not.

As owner of a pair (yes, the Bath Road duo, the same as Rob) I'd say go for it. They are a nice model, and run well. I'm umming and ahhing about a 3rd to join the stock for an earlier period project - maybe I should follow my own advice!

The 03's are a lovely little loco, I am hoping to source some match wagons for them shortly, 121 ran with a 13t high sided open wagon with chain pockets for quite a while, while 03382 seemed to run with a conflat or a 5 plank hybar open wagon.

Have to agree about the 03... I've long thought they were a nice little loco ever since Mainline released it in about 1942. Okay, I know it's not THAT old...

The only issue I have (personally) is that I don't think they were ever common dahn saaf, so not right for a Southern layout. Shame... would love to have one. Rob, yours looks terrific.

The only issue I have (personally) is that I don't think they were ever common dahn saaf, so not right for a Southern layout. Shame... would love to have one. Rob, yours looks terrific.

Well there's the Isle of Wight pair; you can't get much more saaf than that! Of course an IoW layout brings a whole new set of problems...

Well there's the Isle of Wight pair; you can't get much more saaf than that! Of course an IoW layout brings a whole new set of problems...

That would make a lovely layout, add in a Heljan 05 and some EFE tube trains. When I lived in Southampton I recall seeing a layout based on the Isle of Wight, there was even an old tube car in the process of being cut up, the name of the layout escapes me.

• RMweb Gold

03 121 and 382 are on my to do list as well, fond memories of the Bath road duo from childhood. The bell on 121 is news to me and I must have seen it weekly in the 1970s, you're never too old to learn. Laira had a few 03s in the early 70s too, i remember them being parked up on Bath road on their final trip to Swindon. Edit these were 03 128 and 134, ending their days in BR green.

Neil

Edited by Downendian

• RMweb Premium

When 03121 and 382 aren't shunting Peafore Yard they also cover Pilot duties at Mortimore's Yard and into the Westonmouth Docks, especially over the restricted quayside branch. 

post-5204-0-58931000-1429821763.jpg

post-5204-0-70767600-1429821762.jpg

Or put it another way, here are my interpretation of the pair on my Mortimore's Yard layout.

(Sorry for diverting your thread, Rob)

Edited by HillsideDepot
  • Like 9

03 121 and 382 are on my to do list as well, fond memories of the Bath road duo from childhood. The bell on 121 is news to me and I must have seen it weekly in the 1970s, you're never too old to learn. Laira had a few 03s in the early 70s too, i remember them being parked up on Bath road on their final trip to Swindon. Edit these were 03 128 and 134, ending their days in BR green.

Neil

I have also found out 03121 had a car numberplate "5486 DP" on the bufferbeam although this was a late 70's addition:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/davidhayes/6128661654/in/photolist-akyZAf-5TpdJw-qjv9bu-md9Fcx-md8pRM-mbqPAs-kmr7FY-seipnM-rhifKL-4i787k-8nYivk-cfC1yb-fUB3AQ-pbSsrG-67EHiM-gnqpz6-nyYkKT-dfmcsP-q1ubeQ-dQdQCZ

When 03121 and 382 aren't shunting Peafore Yard they also cover Pilot duties at Mortimore's Yard and into the Westonmouth Docks, especially over the restricted quayside branch. 

Or put it another way, here are my interpretation of the pair on my Mortimore's Yard layout.

(Sorry for diverting your thread, Rob)

No probs, nice to see your models Adrian

• 2 weeks later...

Today saw the arrival of a little extra switch on the control panel:

post-7400-0-54296000-1430680626_thumb.jpg

The switch controls which level power from the controller is sent too. The process of wiring up was relatively straightforward as the droppers to the track had been installed a while ago but I hadn't wired up the rest of the control panel as I focussed finishing the lower level.

47077 and a MK2A BFK did the honours for the first test run which went smoothly. The basic operation works as thus:

Loco arrives in the station with the "train" although in reality this is only 1 carriage

post-7400-0-08608600-1430681387_thumb.jpg

The point changes and the loco runs back through the other line of the station to the fiddle yard:

post-7400-0-46411300-1430681486_thumb.jpg

Worms eye view of 47077 about to pass under the parcels conveyor

post-7400-0-29177400-1430681517_thumb.jpg

To add interest a BG can be added or taken away from the train courtesy of the 08. The test showed that the platforms are slightly too wide as the 08 coupling rods catch on the platform edge so some minor tweaking is required.

post-7400-0-03471500-1430681631_thumb.jpg

post-7400-0-48647100-1430681426_thumb.jpg

• Like 17

Today saw the arrival of a little extra switch on the control panel:

attachicon.gifDSCN1557.JPG

The switch controls which level power from the controller is sent too. The process of wiring up was relatively straightforward as the droppers to the track had been installed a while ago but I hadn't wired up the rest of the control panel as I focussed finishing the lower level.

47077 and a MK2A BFK did the honours for the first test run which went smoothly. The basic operation works as thus:

Loco arrives in the station with the "train" although in reality this is only 1 carriage

[attachment=570485:DSCN1560.JPG

The loco uncouples and pulls forward over the bridge:

attachicon.gifDSCN1561.JPG

The point changes and the loco runs back through the other line of the station to the fiddle yard:

attachicon.gifDSCN1564.JPG

Worms eye view of 47077 about to pass under the parcels conveyor

attachicon.gifDSCN1563.JPG

To add interest a BG can be added or taken away from the train courtesy of the 08. The test showed that the platforms are slightly too wide as the 08 coupling rods catch on the platform edge so some minor tweaking is required.

attachicon.gifDSCN1566.JPG

A class 08, at Temple Meads, without a brake van,...........  I'm horrified!!! 

Seriously though Rob, this is top quality.

I loved seeing it at Cheltenham,  you have made something quite special here

cheers

A class 08, at Temple Meads, without a brake van,...........  I'm horrified!!! 

Seriously though Rob, this is top quality.

I loved seeing it at Cheltenham,  you have made something quite special here

cheers

You are dead right, just for you Kevin:

post-7400-0-04730700-1430683615_thumb.jpg

The absence of a brake van in the original photo is due to another unfortunate but unavoidable planning issue, the head shunt is not long enough for an 08, Brake van and a BG. Maybe I should build an extension to the layout.... 

• Like 12

Looking great Rob!

Will add some interest on the shunting front. Doesn't need a lot of shunting, just occasionally.

Thanks Richard, it will also be a good excuse to run some of my larger locos that aren't suited to the lower level.

• Like 1

Even better now the top level is up and running!

One small point, is the 0O00 on your duff's head code prototypical?  I always remember it being  0000, but then it was a long long time ago now.

Edited by The Ghost of IKB

Even better now the top level is up and running!

One small point, is the 0O00 on your duff's head code prototypical?  I always remember it being  0000, but then it was a long long time ago now.

Hi,

I have seen both in photos, although 0000 was more common,  it is a while since I did 47077 so not sure why I used 0O00 for that as both 31210 and 37029 I have done 0000