Peafore Yard - 4mm BR Blue layout shunting layout - Sold

Hi Rob,

A nice set of pics. I really like the class 40, and they were seen at Bristol probably more that you think. I have seen several pics of them on vans I will dig out my book as I think one evening service was often a class 40.

Cheers Peter. 

Two books show two different class 40s on the 20.25 Bristol - Glasgow vans another two pics show  class 40s on the 12.10 Penzance - Glasgow vans. Another pic shows 40152 near Bristol on the Bridgewater to Runcorn tanks.

Cheers Peter.

Two books show two different class 40s on the 20.25 Bristol - Glasgow vans another two pics show  class 40s on the 12.10 Penzance - Glasgow vans. Another pic shows 40152 near Bristol on the Bridgewater to Runcorn tanks.

Cheers Peter.

Thanks Peter, will look up those trains, they sound interesting subjects to model

I found a bit more gen for you Rob,

I am not sure if you are on flickr but I typed in 'class 40 at Bristol' and found some nice pics plus some train info.

From Sept 82 to March 83 class 40s were fairly regular on the 3S15 Bristol to Glascow vans. The loco would arrive light engine. 

Cheers Peter.

I found a bit more gen for you Rob,

I am not sure if you are on flickr but I typed in 'class 40 at Bristol' and found some nice pics plus some train info.

From Sept 82 to March 83 class 40s were fairly regular on the 3S15 Bristol to Glascow vans. The loco would arrive light engine. 

Cheers Peter.

Thanks Peter looks like 40135 will get more use than I thought, plenty of photos on that search. I also found this little delight of 2 x class 24's at Bath Road as well:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/fray_bentos/1075443901/in/photolist-2D2W1e-9NJybd-7n8jHW-9M2DZZ-rSccQN-dpRbJX-dpRbEz-98f6rz-63syLg-48Hkec-gB42MB-i7biVd-787i8z-64jfgW-7YByov-odnBH3-eUcjnX-eUoHn7-9QzcVZ-9eXes2-eUoJum-eUc5v8-eUoJ4C-8MCUGP-47ji3h-enXVDJ-4cbrUS-78kxdH-83ejoK-83ehAt-fvXg5F-48vuCt-4fen3e-83dVQB-81JCL1-9NGabs-86pgZs-pZbGRn-hLB1BA-repnR4-odNs8U-4dPmL6-9NvgtE-pvxGwd-dAyGeN-8E8pA3-bncpWP-9NsCbe-gzitqq-dgcTqV

• Like 1

Hi Rob, Loving the latest pics and the Storyline that goes with them, really good work, especially on the 40 with all those joints.

All the best.

Thanks Andy, 40135 will definitely be staying unique after the effort that went in to it!

• Like 1

Looks like it's a fun layout to operate with lots of potential both mainline and shunting

Thanks Rob, it certainly is, it would have to be for me to voluntarily set it up and play with it not at an exhibition. I definitely enjoy building them more than playing with them, Pallet Lane had more potential moves and operating scenarios but I actually prefer operating this one.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Rob,

A nice set of pics. I really like the class 40, and they were seen at Bristol probably more that you think. I have seen several pics of them on vans I will dig out my book as I think one evening service was often a class 40.

Cheers Peter.

They were very infrequent in the late 1970s, Rob's time frame, I only recorded 40 106 and 40 118 both on rail tours. In the early 1980s the 3S15, a star performer, was re routed to travel North via the Severn Tunnel, possibly via the Central Wales line. It was around this time the 40s were diagrammed to appear on it. Unfortunately I'd packed in spotting by then. In the 1970s it was routed through Bristol Parkway, and normally was headed by a LMR 25, an ER 31 or 37, basically any off region loco Bath road could find. The 3S15 (or 3S14 depending on day) was a train we waited for because of the foreign motive power usage, plus the eclectic mix of BR standard, and ex big four parcels stock used on it.

I justify my 40 fleet by the fact they were quite frequent visitors at Severn Tunnel junction in the late 1970s. I've got 24 057 (green full yellow) and 24 044 (blue) in my fleet Rob, exactly because of Fray's wonderful photo. I recall other mentions of 24s making it to Bristol on parcels traffic normally via the Severn Tunnel too.

Neil

Thanks for all the info on the class 40's chaps, I need to finish off some of the parcels stock in the projects box to run with it.

My son has shown a renewed interest in trains over the last week and has pestered me to put the layout up so he and my daughter can play trains. Both have mastered the controller and my daughter enjoyed playing signalwoman and she may yet get roped into helping out at Chippenham in October.

First up an Eastern region inter-looper in the form of 55019.

post-7400-0-54678600-1432758283_thumb.jpg

This loco probably hasn't run for at least 10 years, and other than a quick renumber it is standard Bachmann (for now). I am a big Deltic fan so despite the loco not being suitable for the layout in anyway shape or form, I fancied giving it a run. Frustratingly having just modified the platforms to avoid the 08 coupling rods clipping the platform face, the Deltic catches on the tight curve near the fiddle yard. A job for the distant future, I also plan to give the loco the full works of the shawplan grilles, noses etc

Closer to home the 08 and mandatory brake van shuttle around the station

post-7400-0-60178300-1432758417_thumb.jpg

post-7400-0-77956100-1432758464_thumb.jpg

37240 prepares to head off to Cardiff as the 08 passes by with some vans for the evening Motorail service

post-7400-0-66459100-1432758511_thumb.jpg

Meanwhile 03382 brings in a Grampus wagon with some ballast for some planned engineering work on the branch

post-7400-0-59848200-1432758620_thumb.jpg

A favourite of mine having racked up many miles haulage behind the real loco is 24081. I think this is the oldest detailing project I own, the loco having had the end doors filled and replacement chassis built without the water tanks.

post-7400-0-69829100-1432758805_thumb.jpg

Back upstairs 47105 arrives with a Paddington to WSM train

post-7400-0-23139900-1432758951_thumb.jpg

• Like 17

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Rob,

Just want to thank you for the session on Sunday. It was great to meet you, and an inspiration to see this layout in operation (which had completely passed under my radar in the last year for some reason).

I spent a couple of hours yesterday catching up on these threads on Pallet Lane and Peafore Yard yesterday. The latter has many scenic and operational aspects in common with my Trewartha Quay layout, so I'll be very glad for some 'consultation sessions' in future, if you're around!

One query I have, which I've been pondering on but didn't find mentioned specifically (I think) in the last 18 pages here. What is the material used for the trackbed on your bridges? It looks like white plasticard or similar in the early pictures, but I'm not sure.

A small goal I have for the river bridge on my layout is to make it 'audible' when trains are crossing. It bugs me when layouts have plate metal or similar underbridges built under the plywood/mdf/whatever trackbed, and there is no audible difference when trains cross them. I'm keen to experiment and see if using something hard and thin like plasticard (only) under the track will add that different sound, similar to prototype trains crossing a plate girder bridge? I have to admit though that I didn't think to listen to the '03 and '37 as they crossed your bridge on Sunday, I was too engrossed in playing trains on a great layout!  :good:

Cheers,
Alan

Hi Rob,

Just want to thank you for the session on Sunday. It was great to meet you, and an inspiration to see this layout in operation (which had completely passed under my radar in the last year for some reason).

I spent a couple of hours yesterday catching up on these threads on Pallet Lane and Peafore Yard yesterday. The latter has many scenic and operational aspects in common with my Trewartha Quay layout, so I'll be very glad for some 'consultation sessions' in future, if you're around!

One query I have, which I've been pondering on but didn't find mentioned specifically (I think) in the last 18 pages here. What is the material used for the trackbed on your bridges? It looks like white plasticard or similar in the early pictures, but I'm not sure.

A small goal I have for the river bridge on my layout is to make it 'audible' when trains are crossing. It bugs me when layouts have plate metal or similar underbridges built under the plywood/mdf/whatever trackbed, and there is no audible difference when trains cross them. I'm keen to experiment and see if using something hard and thin like plasticard (only) under the track will add that different sound, similar to prototype trains crossing a plate girder bridge? I have to admit though that I didn't think to listen to the '03 and '37 as they crossed your bridge on Sunday, I was too engrossed in playing trains on a great layout!  :good:

Cheers,

Alan

Hi Alan,

Glad you enjoyed Sunday, you are welcome any time.

The bridge is made from photo mounting card which I got from the Wiltshire scrap store at Lacock, I filled a carrier bag for about £3, I have plenty left over so you can have some next time you swing by. I know what you mean by the audible effect but alas it is no different on the bridge than the rest of the layout. I am not a sound expert but would imagine the sound difference is created by vibrations and movement of the bridge which doesn't scale that well down to 4mm. Thin plasticard may work but I would be worried about fragility?

Thanks Rob. You're probably right about the sound effects, but at least if I can get a 'hollow' sound as the train goes over, that would be something. I also wondered about thin sheet aluminium, but I'll have to experiment.

Great 'modelling and beer' evening today with you and Dave, thank you again. Two visits in a week - not sure if I can believe it! Hopefully the VITrains 47 weathering will work out; what was that colour we were using (no. 26 of what?). Anyway, a good mucky underframe colour I'll have to pick up myself!

So back on topic - in the old Pallet Lane thread, you mentioned that your next project (at the time) would be based on carriage sidings. Does that still attract you, or with those nice scrap wagons you're weathering, is it going to be an even bigger scrapyard?  :derisive:

Cheers,

Alan

Hi Alan,

Glad you enjoyed Sunday, you are welcome any time.

The bridge is made from photo mounting card which I got from the Wiltshire scrap store at Lacock, I filled a carrier bag for about £3, I have plenty left over so you can have some next time you swing by. I know what you mean by the audible effect but alas it is no different on the bridge than the rest of the layout. I am not a sound expert but would imagine the sound difference is created by vibrations and movement of the bridge which doesn't scale that well down to 4mm. Thin plasticard may work but I would be worried about fragility?

Thanks Rob. You're probably right about the sound effects, but at least if I can get a 'hollow' sound as the train goes over, that would be something. I also wondered about thin sheet aluminium, but I'll have to experiment.

Great 'modelling and beer' evening today with you and Dave, thank you again. Two visits in a week - not sure if I can believe it! Hopefully the VITrains 47 weathering will work out; what was that colour we were using (no. 26 of what?). Anyway, a good mucky underframe colour I'll have to pick up myself!

So back on topic - in the old Pallet Lane thread, you mentioned that your next project (at the time) would be based on carriage sidings. Does that still attract you, or with those nice scrap wagons you're weathering, is it going to be an even bigger scrapyard?  :derisive:

Cheers,

Alan

Hi Alan,

No probs, likewise good to see. Re the underframe weathering it was Humbrol 26 enamel, which I prefer to acrylics but I think I am in a minority. As a general weathering pallette for both the Layout and stock, I generally use Humbrol 26, 29, 33 and 67. 

The carriage sidings is still on the list for a new layout but maybe some time as I will rethink a few things with my plan having got the experience of hand built track and operating from the front with this layout.

More top pictures Rob... :senile: :locomotive:

Thanks, plenty more to come I need to add some more details to the upper level then will take some more.

I have a picture of a 40 at Bristol bath road in the ' diesels on shed '.

If you ever want to to borrow a white roof 47 for a bit of variety let me know...

Always welcome Rob, 47484 is likely to be my next class 47 but will be a while next

Great pics Rob, Love the 08 and Brake van ones.

Thanks.

Thanks Andrew, I have a cunning plan to resolve my upper level head shunt problem which will enable me to run the 08 and brake van and a BG from one loop line to the other....

Hi Rob,

A lovely layout with lots of great photos explaining how you went about things.  Absolutely oozes atmosphere.

All the best....

Thanks Andrew, it is getting there!

Rather than ticking anymore "likes" I thought it would be a better idea if I quickly commented to say how much I've enjoyed catching up with Peafore Yard this evening....and especially looking at the fantastic photos.

Regards

Alan

• Like 1

Rather than ticking anymore "likes" I thought it would be a better idea if I quickly commented to say how much I've enjoyed catching up with Peafore Yard this evening....and especially looking at the fantastic photos.

Regards

Alan

Thanks Alan, glad you have enjoyed it.

Peafore Yard gets a cameo appearance in the latest copy of "Traction" magazine as the back drop for some photos of my motorail flats.

• Like 2