Peafore Yard - 4mm BR Blue layout shunting layout - Sold

"Pedwel" hmmm? Something to do with repairing class 31s perhaps....?

That would involve making another class 31.... never again, the current one was a lot of work...

Edited by 37114

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Rob

Good to see you and Peafore Yard again at Thornbury show today.

Once again I,d say you would have been on the podium in my judgement.

I hope you enjoyed yourself and it didn't take too long to pack up!

Thanks Tony, good to see you again too. Was in the car by 4.10 and that was with operating to the death so a nice quick pack down.

A good show again at Thornbury, layout behaved itself, although I have a repair job to do on one of the cement lorries after it broke lose on the way home. Next outing is Jan 15th at Weston - super - mare.

post-7400-0-69408900-1479669741_thumb.jpg

post-7400-0-80523200-1479669754_thumb.jpg

• Like 10

Hi Rob,

Glad to hear the show went well, just coming away with a repair to a vehicle to do isn't bad. I was tempted to go to Thornbury as I enjoyed watching Peafore last time I saw it, but I have two shows in the new year I'm getting stock ready for so weekends (when I'm not working) are spoken for really.

Quick question for you though and sorry if I've missed it, but what size points do you use in the yard, they look quite small? handy for a short yard layout but do you get any problems running longer locos like 47s etc through them?

Just thinking about an idea for a small project which will be a BR blue era yard. The idea was kicked off when I saw an inspiring photo on the forum.

Cheers

Hi Rob,

Glad to hear the show went well, just coming away with a repair to a vehicle to do isn't bad. I was tempted to go to Thornbury as I enjoyed watching Peafore last time I saw it, but I have two shows in the new year I'm getting stock ready for so weekends (when I'm not working) are spoken for really.

Quick question for you though and sorry if I've missed it, but what size points do you use in the yard, they look quite small? handy for a short yard layout but do you get any problems running longer locos like 47s etc through them?

Just thinking about an idea for a small project which will be a BR blue era yard. The idea was kicked off when I saw an inspiring photo on the forum.

Cheers

Hi Wayne,

The points are all B6, they are probably bigger than they look but the mainline locos run fine through them. The trackplan deliberately has no reverse curves so there is no potential for buffer locking

• 2 weeks later...

It is fair to say since Thornbury the thinking has changed a little on the next layout. There were a few major pieces in my mind for the plan of "Pedwell" that didn't quite work and the budget was looking a squeeze so to cut a long story I have shuffled it down the list of projects....

The latest thinking is a 5' x 18" layout inspired by Radstock and models part of the station with the Marcroft wagon works off scene. Dave Spencer is up for modelling the wagon works on a separate board as he is looking for a smaller project, the idea being is both parts of the layout could be exhibited/used separately but can be joined together to create one layout. 

We did some planning tonight on the dining room table top (literally) to get a feel for siding length on my board, the board being arch shaped to give the track a nice curve.

post-7400-0-51206600-1480543560_thumb.jpg

Peafore Yard was planned on the same table what feels like quite recently so it feels a little strange to be planning it's replacement but it feels a nice project.

• Like 7

Does the glass represent an oil tank or a gasometer?

Geoff Endacott

It signifies that the "creative thinking juice" had been consumed to see what other ideas could be explored... Dave's glass at the other end marks the location of a road over bridge. Just need a Bristol RE on it now...

• Like 3

WS or BH? Could be MH down there too, actually. Will be interested to see this develop.

There must be something in the air, as layout doodles a-plenty are occurring on my dining table too....

Hmm, not sure yet Adrian, need to see what I can get my hands on. Will probably need an earlier style of bus as well as the layout will be "dual era" as Dave models late 50's so presume a KSW or MW (I am clueless on buses pre 1970)

I have my eyes on some locos for the new layout (class 33 and a Hymek), and with the purchase of the Sentinel, some locos have to go so if anybody fancies owning a bit of Peafore Yard/ Pallet Lane history, now is your chance as the following are available (happy to sell outside of ebay):

Class 128 DPU

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/robowst/m.html?_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

• 2 weeks later...

It is fair to say since Thornbury the thinking has changed a little on the next layout. There were a few major pieces in my mind for the plan of "Pedwell" that didn't quite work and the budget was looking a squeeze so to cut a long story I have shuffled it down the list of projects....

The latest thinking is a 5' x 18" layout inspired by Radstock and models part of the station with the Marcroft wagon works off scene. Dave Spencer is up for modelling the wagon works on a separate board as he is looking for a smaller project, the idea being is both parts of the layout could be exhibited/used separately but can be joined together to create one layout. 

We did some planning tonight on the dining room table top (literally) to get a feel for siding length on my board, the board being arch shaped to give the track a nice curve.

attachicon.gifWP_20161130_20_22_27_Pro.jpg

Peafore Yard was planned on the same table what feels like quite recently so it feels a little strange to be planning it's replacement but it feels a nice project.

re your plans for Radstock. A while ago I shared some pics of Marcrofts with Paul B who now has them on his site http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/?q=radstock I used to live in Radstock and when I retired my long term intention of building Radstock West commenced. I have modelled from Marcrofts to beyond the infamous level crossing about 35' long almost scale length on two sides of my garage. I've set the EM gauge layout in 1959 the last year of through passenger services. If I can be of any further help give me a shout

Doug

• Like 1

re your plans for Radstock. A while ago I shared some pics of Marcrofts with Paul B who now has them on his site http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/?q=radstock I used to live in Radstock and when I retired my long term intention of building Radstock West commenced. I have modelled from Marcrofts to beyond the infamous level crossing about 35' long almost scale length on two sides of my garage. I've set the EM gauge layout in 1959 the last year of through passenger services. If I can be of any further help give me a shout

Doug

Thanks Doug, would be interested to see some photos of your layout? My co-builder models 1959 so the intention is we will make the model so it can operate either late 50's or mid 70's.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hope Santa came bearing gifts that were wanted, mine was a Heljan Hymek which will undergo some surgery (glazing, wheels, partial repaint and renumber to D7017), plan is to have it complete for August for Minehead show for a cameo appearance on Peafore Yard as it is really for the next layout.

Despite the dust having barely settled from Thornbury, it is only 2 weeks to the next show at Weston Super Mare on Sunday 15th January:

http://www.westonsupermaretrainshow.com/. I have not been to this show before but the organiser has a good track record and apparently it is enjoys a good attendance.

Like this year, next years modelling activity will be pretty minimal apart from the shows, I have a few bits of stock to finish and some minor tidying up of the layout but main focus is on non modelling activity (another house extension and finishing the Land Rover) in readiness for a big push with the new layout in 2018. I wish you all a Happy New year!

Edited by 37114

H

Hope Santa came bearing gifts that were wanted, mine was a Heljan Hymek which will undergo some surgery (glazing, wheels, partial repaint and renumber to D7017), plan is to have it complete for August for Minehead show for a cameo appearance on Peafore Yard as it is really for the next layout.

Despite the dust having barely settled from Thornbury, it is only 2 weeks to the next show at Weston Super Mare on Sunday 15th January:

http://www.westonsupermaretrainshow.com/. I have not been to this show before but the organiser has a good track record and apparently it is enjoys a good attendance.

Like this year, next years modelling activity will be pretty minimal apart from the shows, I have a few bits of stock to finish and some minor tidying up of the layout but main focus is on non modelling activity (another house extension and finishing the Land Rover) in readiness for a big push with the new layout in 2018. I wish you all a Happy New year!

Hi Rob,

Weston is my local show so I hope to get there again.

I have been to every Weston show so far, Keith has attracted some good layouts, and it has been a well attended show right from the start

cheers

H

Hi Rob,

Weston is my local show so I hope to get there again.

I have been to every Weston show so far, Keith has attracted some good layouts, and it has been a well attended show right from the start

cheers

Look forward to seeing you again Kevin.

Ohh I fly back into the UK on the 14th, I wonder if the Mrs would like a day trip to Weston to celebrate my arrival?!

Looking forward to seeing the new project, Mr Spencer mentioned that you two are conspiring together!

Matt

Would be great to see you Matt and catch up.

Still lots of planning to do on the new layout and a bits of detail to iron out but Dave and I are aligned on our approach to how we tackle most bits which is the biggest challenge on any collective project.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Managed an hour on some modelling projects earlier on, some of which maybe finished in time for August's Minehead show:

Class B tank wagons - The walkways are now fitted and the fiddly job of fitting the etched ladders has been completed on one wagon. I have run out of primer but hoping to pop into Halfords later this week to get some which will mean I can spray the tanks and the Malago Vale muck wagon (the latter I definitely want finished for Minehead)

Sentinel shunter - Having completed the modifications inside the cab, laserglaze and a few other tweaks this is now being weathered. It won't see use on Peafore Yard but will get some use on the layout I am building with Dave.

Hymek - A simple repaint and renumber, the Hymek is one of Heljan's better model. The brass wheelsets have been swapped out already and I have cut off the old tension lock coupler so I have need to glue the air tank behind the bufferbeam as per the real thing.

post-7400-0-65318700-1488137518_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

• 2 months later...

I fancied a break from working on the Land Rover so made a little bit more progress today on a couple of projects.

Firstly the Hymek which now has it's first coat of yellow on the ends. I know Heljan have done this variant more than once but wanting to save some cash a second hand small yellow end panel bargain model was acquired at a bargain price. As my chosen prototype loco did not have headboards clips, then removing them would require a touch up anyway.

post-7400-0-61931100-1493579547_thumb.jpg

The other project is another cement lorry from some RTi bits which was kindly given to me by another RM webber (Thanks Richard). Richard had shortened the chassis and some painting but then not progressed further. The cab he gave me was for an ERF B series, which I initially thought I would have to replace as Blue Circle mostly used Scammell's (of which I have one already) but a bit of research dug up a picture of an ERF in BC colours so decided to stick with it.

The RTI body is not quite correct for the Blue Circle lorries as it is designed for a Rugby Cement lorry, primarily the walkway and steps need work to represent the BC version. When finished a full respray is in order.

post-7400-0-64576500-1493580003_thumb.jpg

• Like 9

• 4 weeks later...

More progress tonight, the muck wagon is getting there, weathering still to do:

post-7400-0-08239000-1495745257_thumb.jpg

The ERF is nearly there, just some transfers to order up, I am pleased with how this one is turning out:

post-7400-0-89235700-1495745259_thumb.jpg

• Like 14

In terms of dates for future shows for Peafore Yard:

August 5th 2017 - Minehead

October 14th and 15th 2017 - Peterborough

January 2018 - Calne

24th/25th March 2018 - Nailsea

There is another potential show in the pipeline for the end of 2018 but that is likely to be it for me with Peafore Yard