Peafore Yard - 4mm BR Blue layout shunting layout - Sold

Tonight's progress has been on the scrap mountain. Creating each piece and weathering on an individual basis has been somewhat laborious for what is a small pile of scrap, albeit I am happy with the result. I am going to build a false centre to the pile to make the scrap go further.

Another cheat to help fill the yard is a lorry delivering a scrap car. An Oxford Diecast Ford Transit recovery truck and an Austin A40 was dug out of the cupboard for some work. The Transit looked rather garish with its Silver wheels and Eddie Stobart style chevron bumper, so both were repainted black and white respectively. A winch was essential for loading dead cars and came from an Airfix Bedford army truck I converted to a gritter. The A40 was weather with rust patches added based on photos from an old copy of "Practical Classics". Both had new number plates, the A40 because the ones supplied were for a very late car which would have been too new to scrap, while the transits disappeared when the bumper was repainted.

post-7400-0-56927600-1412196702_thumb.jpg

post-7400-0-73949100-1412196789_thumb.jpg

Edited by 37114
  • Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

Scrap pile looks great Rob, very much like a mini version of the mountains at EMR Swindon!

Hemmings, now there's a Bristol brand! I hadn't realised they'd gone, but the name definitely sets the layouts location fantastically. I need to find a South Wales haulier running Scania R 6x2s on steel to suitably set my layout nicely

jo

Scrap pile looks great Rob, very much like a mini version of the mountains at EMR Swindon!

Hemmings, now there's a Bristol brand! I hadn't realised they'd gone, but the name definitely sets the layouts location fantastically. I need to find a South Wales haulier running Scania R 6x2s on steel to suitably set my layout nicely

jo

Hi Jo,

I hadn't realised Hemmings had gone until I researched the logo, bought by SITA in 2006.

Re your steel lorry, Owens of Newport do/did lots of steel work and I think they run a few Scanias worth a search on flickr

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Rob

The scrap pile looks great! Does look like it was just "chucked" there rather than "placed" and difficult to get right without looking wrong. You've done it correct from what I can see.

The whole scene is coming along nicely.

Do you have any exhibitions booked?

Hi Rob

The scrap pile looks great! Does look like it was just "chucked" there rather than "placed" and difficult to get right without looking wrong. You've done it correct from what I can see.

The whole scene is coming along nicely.

Do you have any exhibitions booked?

Thanks Richard, the pile was worth the effort in the end.

Re shows, the only one booked is Cheltenham in April 15, it has been offered to a couple of others but nothing definite in the diary. The timescales mean it is touch and go for finishing the upper level in readiness for Cheltenham so will focus on finishing the lower level first and fit a temporary back scene behind the arches if necessary.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Richard, the pile was worth the effort in the end.

Re shows, the only one booked is Cheltenham in April 15, it has been offered to a couple of others but nothing definite in the diary. The timescales mean it is touch and go for finishing the upper level in readiness for Cheltenham so will focus on finishing the lower level first and fit a temporary back scene behind the arches if necessary.

I'll see you at Cheltenham as I will be there with Orchard Road. Will drop you a pm!

I'll see you at Cheltenham as I will be there with Orchard Road. Will drop you a pm!

Looking forward to it, Mike always puts on a good show, the Cheltenham area does seem to have a good few D and E modellers /enthusiasts

Hi Alan,

My friend who helped out this week said the same about the A40. I hope I don't get lynched by mini enthusiasts at shows, there are 5 in the scrap pile, can't wait for the Austin 1300 from Oxford to come out, a couple of those will go in the yard as well.

Thanks

Rob 

Hi Rob

More excellent photos. I ticked the like box but should also have added craftsmanship/cleaver for the corrugated iron - I've been making notes!

I'll let you off with the Austin 1300. After the A40 it was a Morris 1100- dark green.

Dad never believed in buying anything too powerful.   :)

Alan

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Rob,

The lastest pics look good, but can I make a suggestion. The fence round the scrapped cars hides your good work on them. What about a chain link fence. You would still be able to see the cars. 

Just a thought. Ballasting looks spot on.

Cheers Peter.

Hi Peter,

It is a good point you raised and I see what you mean from the photos I have posted, as it wasn't something I had noticed before. I went out to the Garage this morning and had a look from the normal viewing position, and the mini's are much more visible than my previous photos which were taken at track level (see photo below). I hadn't decided on the fencing for the rest of the terminal, partly because a wall or more corrugated fencing would hide both wagons and the scrap panel, so will go down the route of chain link fence as you suggest.

Thanks

post-7400-0-99556000-1415444176_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

You're doing a great job on this layout; the car pile looks excellent.

Thanks Jonas, it is certainly letting me practice new skills and techniques. I will add to the car pile in the fullness of time, some of the new Oxford Diecast 1100s will end up in there for sure.

• Like 1