West Midlands Metro Tracklaying in Brum

melmerby

• RMweb Premium

He did, but not until he had driven about 100 metres on a grass verge with tram tracks embedded in it. Looking at the pictures I'm surprised how far he went.

Here are some pictures:

Damage to turf looking towards Bull Street:

post-6208-0-93464200-1486061714_thumb.jpg

He had driven past Snow Hill One and stopped after starting to pass Snow Hill Two:

post-6208-0-28237200-1486061810_thumb.jpg

View of Bollards with and without a Tram passing:

post-6208-0-51962600-1486061859_thumb.jpg

post-6208-0-00745600-1486061872_thumb.jpg

View from car park showing bollards:

post-6208-0-43059200-1486061933_thumb.jpg

The driver must have come via Livery St. and across the front of Snow Hill as any attempt to come from Colmore Circus would have demolished the street furniture on a mid road refuge (off to the left on the above view).

The bollards are hard plastic and it looks like the two rightmost ones (from my vantage point) may have been replaced.

The opening looks like it is somewhere between 3 and 3.2 metres, square on.

Keith

BTW I notice the tram leans slightly as it rounds that curve (very slowly), the posts are upright!

Edited by melmerby

• RMweb Premium

He did, but not until he had driven about 100 metres on a grass verge with tram tracks embedded in it. Looking at the pictures I'm surprised how far he went.

There was a picture on Facebook recently. A recently laid concrete road (still wet) and a heavy truck that had succeeded in traveling at least 200 metres along it. :jester:

Midland Metro Alliance Latest News 6th February 2017: Wednesbury To Brierley Hill Project Update

http://www.metroalliance.co.uk/wednesbury-to-brierley-hill-project-update-6th-february-2017/

The initial work to clear the overgrown section of the disused railway line on the Wednesbury to Brierley Hill route is now complete. The clearing works took place in order to allow for the next step, a number of detailed structural and environmental surveys to be carried out. As expected on a disused railway line, the vegetation removal has revealed a large amount of detritus and debris, as well as many uncovered manholes and drains. The manholes and drains have temporarily been made safe, but people are reminded that as the site is an active construction site and therefore not accessible to members of the public.

Below are a number of ‘before and after’ pictures that show the work that the MMA has done to date in order clear this route.

Image 1: A strip of track near Dudley Port prior to clearance work taken in November 2016

wbhepic1.png

Image 2: Uncovered manholes made safe with temporary barriers

wbhepic8.png

Image 3: Uncovered manholes made safe with temporary barriers

wbhepic7.png

Image 4: An example of the cleared corridor

wbhepic6-e1486459045378.png

Image 5: The site clearance team hard at work

wbhepic5-e1486459013868.png

Image 6: A cleared access point to allow surveys to be conducted

wbhepic3.png

Image 7: An example of the vegetation growth prior to clearance

wbhepic2.png

Edited by dcroz
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I remember seing some of that trackwork after it had been abandoned and before the forest had covered it.

IIRC at one time the colour light signals at the Walsall end were still operational even though the track had been out of use for some time.

Keith

There was an infestation of Japanese Knot Weed in the cutting by the Horseley Road bridge in 2012. I hope appropriate steps have been taken to deal with it.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

There was an infestation of Japanese Knot Weed in the cutting by the Horseley Road bridge in 2012. I hope appropriate steps have been taken to deal with it.

There has been one or two reports recently of JKW infestations on railway land encroaching onto adjacent property.

It is my understanding that the owner of the land is required by law to deal with any outbreaks of this weed. Just leaving it is not an option.

If the reports are true NR are clearly not carrying out their legal requirements.

Keith

My company had a job laying a cable from the corner of Mansion Drive to the telephone exchange, over the bridge. The agency civils team cut through the flange of the 16" water pipe which was only a couple of inches below the surface of the footway. Being cast iron, the pipe burst and flooded Great Bridge. I was the project manager. The insurance claim approached £1 million. I still have nightmares about it now.

• RMweb Premium

Has work started on the Broad Street extension?

Some preparatory work has been done in Pinfold St and in front of the old PO building. (Services etc.)

It seems unlikely the main work will start until the clearance of the Paradise Circus site has been completed, as currently the only pedestrian way from Victoria Square to the new library complex is in front of the Town Hall and via the skeleton remains of Fletcher's Walk, which is where the new tram line will eventually go.

Once the site has been cleared and a new pedestrian route established from the Museum/Art Gallery area to the new library they can start in earnest.

Keith

• RMweb Premium

Further to the above post here are some pictures showing the route from the current terminus in Stephenson Street (Outside Ian Allan)

View towards current terminus with tram about to turn back through the crossover:

post-6208-0-33948700-1486728095_thumb.jpg

View from current terminus towards Pinfold Street

(this will be where the trams start their run on batteries):

post-6208-0-59318700-1486728197_thumb.jpg

Looking up Pinfold Street towards Victoria Square

(Note the patched surface where utility work has been going on and some currently right at the top):

post-6208-0-12835700-1486728294_thumb.jpg):

Detail of street name plate

(this emphasises the gradient at this point which is about 1:6 or 1:7):

post-6208-0-29134800-1486728404_thumb.jpg

Victoria Square and Antony Gormley's Iron man, which will have to move!:

post-6208-0-21532800-1486728476_thumb.jpg

Across the front of the Town Hall:

post-6208-0-84224500-1486728522_thumb.jpg

Crossing where the Southbound Road was at Paradise Circus

(there won't be a road here when it's finished):

post-6208-0-45047600-1486728615_thumb.jpg

And through where Fletcher's Walk shopping arcade was:

post-6208-0-06645500-1486728674_thumb.jpg

The land through the site of Fletcher's Walk will need to be raised as the other end is well below road level at a pedestrian subway and the tram will need to be at street level to cross the road junction.

Originally it was planned to take the tram route slightly further south of the front of the Town Hall and over a dedicated bridge over Queensway Tunnel entrance but this was ruled out on cost grounds,

so the route via the site of Fletchers walk was chosen instead.

I believe it did mean a slight delay to the plans while the site was cleared.

Keith

Edited by melmerby
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Shift the iron man, keep the floozie in the jacuzzi.

Since last summer when the jacuzzi was filled in and turned into a flower bed, more a case of "a tiptoe through the tulips"

Problem with that fountain (one of the largest public ones in Europe apparantly) was that it leaked virtually from day one and was never completely cured.

Keith

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

A piece of info regarding the Metro is that it will become "In house" operated by Transport for West Midlands (TfWM) once the current contract with National Express expires.

All part of the integrated transport operations that are coming, rather like TfL, whilst the network expands.

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/midlands-news/midland-metro-nationalised-12779423

Keith

Edited by melmerby
  • Like 3

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

The final business case for the Brierley Hill Extension has been submitted by TfWM to the DoT, which from all reports about it seem to expect approval:

http://www.metroalliance.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/WBHE-Business-Case-June-2017.pdf

Express & Star pitch here:

https://www.expressandstar.com/news/local-hubs/dudley/2017/06/20/midland-metro-extension-to-brierley-hill-take-major-step-forward/

Keith

Looks like might have to start another thread "Midland Metro Tracklaying to Brierley Hill" :scratchhead:

I hope I live long enough, to see, with all the extensions, the culmination of a proper network that has been too long in the making

Edited by melmerby
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

The final business case for the Brierley Hill Extension has been submitted by TfWM to the DoT, which from all reports about it seem to expect approval:

http://www.metroalliance.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/WBHE-Business-Case-June-2017.pdf

Express & Star pitch here:

https://www.expressandstar.com/news/local-hubs/dudley/2017/06/20/midland-metro-extension-to-brierley-hill-take-major-step-forward/

Keith

Looks like might have to start another thread "Midland Metro Tracklaying to Brierley Hill" :scratchhead:

I hope I live long enough, to see, with all the extensions, the culmination of a proper network that has been too long in the making

I remember when it was originally submitted but sadly they determined the business case (with road pricing) was not viable. I hope that this time it gets through. I am interested to know where a new depot might go? They said in an article that there would be a new one required I understood that the existing depot could simple be expanded onto more of the adjacent land. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I am interested to know where a new depot might go? They said in an article that there would be a new one required I understood that the existing depot could simple be expanded onto more of the adjacent land. 

It could go where Dudley Station was as there is plenty of land there which is where the track will come up from the South Staffs line onto Castle Hill for Dudley Centre

https://goo.gl/maps/9gbBqMoUVES2

Seems too be some vegetation clearance there:

https://goo.gl/maps/vhAw6FGaDg52

It was rather overgrown last time I saw it.

Keith

Edited by melmerby

It could go where Dudley Station was as there is plenty of land there which is where the track will come up from the South Staffs line onto Castle Hill for Dudley Centre

https://goo.gl/maps/9gbBqMoUVES2

Seems too be some vegetation clearance there:

https://goo.gl/maps/vhAw6FGaDg52

It was rather overgrown last time I saw it.

Keith

The other extensions they are promoting as higher priorities (to the HS2 station etc) probably use up all the room for expansion in the existing depot. 

Earlier versions of the Dudley Metro route left space for a single-track freight line which would have continued through the old Dudley station and the tunnel (possibly with a passing loop).  There was no intention to build that at the same time, but just to leave space.  However if they are still reserving that space it probably rules out using the station site as a depot. 

• 4 weeks later...

Which is about 8' 8". In that case so would the artic but it would need to be square to the bollards which quite obviously is impossible with a long vehicle.

I assume it just went over them!

Keith

(EDIT maximum width of a truck is 2.55mm

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/moving-goods-by-road

Just enough clearance if straight)

Living fairly close to Amazons vast new depot outside Peterborough, a magnet for every lorry in the East of England (or so it seems) NOTHING would surprise me about the places lorries end up, or the manoeuvres their drivers attempt to perform at times.

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

A few photos to show that a start has now been made on the Broad St extension

It shows off the lovely new barriers that the Midland Metro Alliance have got!

Pinfold Street (3 views) It looks like Pinfold St is closed for the duration whilst theextension is built.

post-6208-0-62936500-1505225904_thumb.jpg

post-6208-0-01903300-1505225923_thumb.jpg

post-6208-0-27965300-1505225940_thumb.jpg

Victoria Square showing Anthony Gormley's "Iron Man" which has now been removed to be re-located next year

Going Going:

post-6208-0-64383200-1505226180_thumb.jpg

Gone:

post-6208-0-21551600-1505226224_thumb.jpg

Keith

• Like 5