Camden Lock (An Illuminated Diorama)

iL Dottore

If you want to build realistic LU tunnel station tracks without too much work i think i've found a way. Buy some inspection pits, as many as you need, and install the middle rail on styrene pieces.

LK-56_2832_Qty1_1.JPG

Just remove the red/brown pieces between the running rails and glue square styrene strips in the correct locations and correct position.

I haven't tried it myeslf, but to me it seems like an easy way to do it.

That is a brilliant idea, but (for me) it has one tiny little flaw: I am using a plank (see photos) and I would have to remove the existing tunnel supports and then chisel out the recesses for the pits....

Having said that, it has given me an idea on how I could utlise that principal...

Stay tuned

iD

Why not use concrete sleepered track, cutting the sleepers right back so they become little square blocks?

Stewart

ps : a lot of tube track around the suicide pits is actually laid on wooden blocks (aka bits of sleepers) embedded within the concrete floor.

• 3 months later...

UPDATE

Thanks to a London visit and Unravelled's generosity of his time, I was able to visit the remaining island platforms on the Northern Line and get detail photos of the track work. Interestingly, at one station - I forget which - one of the tracks did not have a "suicide pit". A prototypical feature that I will copy.

The tunnel walls needed to be rejigged, but I hope to make progress over the holidays.

So much for what should have a month's project!

iD

UPDATE

Thanks to a London visit and Unravelled's generosity of his time, I was able to visit the remaining island platforms on the Northern Line ... 

Just for the sake of accuracy, there are two remaining island platforms on the Northern Line. One at Clapham North, and the other at Clapham South.

I pass through them both daily.

Either way - looking forward to seeing the fruits of your field trip made manifest in your model  :)

Just for the sake of accuracy, there are two remaining island platforms on the Northern Line. One at Clapham North, and the other at Clapham South.

I pass through them both daily.

Either way - looking forward to seeing the fruits of your field trip made manifest in your model   :)

I, for one, would be glad to see the back of this type of platform. They always gave me the willies when two trains arrived together.  :no:

A Murphy:

My attempt at accuracy was a little lacking, it is of course Clapham North and Clapham Common, not Clapham South   :no:

Judge Dread:

Me too. The platforms are frighteningly narrow. I guess it wasn't too bad when originally built as trains moved more sedately then. But with the higher speeds of latter years it can make you feel quite dizzy!  

Oooh, yes please. They'll be very helpful indeed.

F

Check your inbox for a few relevant ones! ;)  As a taster though, here's one useful shot at Clapham North (from the cab, with permission!), plus another taken from the stairs at Clapham Common sometime last year.

post-6712-0-55096600-1418860965_thumb.jpg

post-6712-0-70002600-1418860539_thumb.jpg

Cheers,

Tim

• RMweb Gold

I, for one, would be glad to see the back of this type of platform. They always gave me the willies when two trains arrived together.  :no:

Me too. The platforms are frighteningly narrow. I guess it wasn't too bad when originally built as trains moved more sedately then. But with the higher speeds of latter years it can make you feel quite dizzy!  

When these platforms were originally built, there might also have been a few less people using them.

Whatever the score, I believe there has been some pressure - or some deliberate effort - to remove them.

As far as I'm aware, the method used seems to have consisted of boring a 2nd tunnel alongside (complete with new platform) and diverting one of the tracks into the new tunnel. The space where the diverted track used to be is then filled in - upto platform floor level - and used to widen the original platform.

I believe this is what was done at Angel station (Islington), some time in the 80's or 90s.

Huw.

<snip>

I believe this is what was done at Angel station (Islington), some time in the 80's or 90s.

Speaking of Angel, here's the southbound platform now.  The disused bits of the northbound running line tunnels are still there, the easternmost one of which is behind these doors (also taken from the cab, again with permission).

post-6712-0-90462300-1418862457_thumb.jpg

Cheers,

Tim

• 3 months later...

The construction method described is correct, I worked on this project in 1990-1 with John Murphy & Sons Ltd.

There are step-plates N and S on the original running tunnel, these were constructed around the existing service tunnels and the track diverted in a single weekend closure

There was also a redundant carriage siding dating from C&SL days, SW of the then-existing station, which was used as an access for step-plate construction. The remaining sections were mass-filled with foam concrete, from memory.

You might have forgotten a third, Clapham Common? I think there are quite a few out toward Hendon as well. M

Yes, but Brent Cross, Hendon Central (my local one), Colindale and Burnt Oak are all considerably wider than the Clapham islands.

On the now rare occasions that I use the Northern Line, I find it quite a boring experience now that the traditional signals have all been switched off and bagged-up. No more the hiss of air valves, or rising / falling train-stops.

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE

Again, I am stuck. I have carefully assembled all the tunnel wall pieces into one long (> 1m) strip, however I am a bit bu99ered if I know how to curve the entire wall without introducing any kinks or wrinkles. I suppose - if I can find a cheap plastic tube that's long enough - I could place the tunnel wall against the tube and wrap it with elasticated bandages, curving the wall against the tube. However, I have no idea how much smaller than the correct tunnel diametre the tube should be to allow for the springiness of the printed card.

Any hints/tips/thoughts would be gratefully received.

iD

• 4 months later...

Bit late now, but I tried and gave up on the curved wall thing. In the end I just used a sliced open bit of drain pipe with the printed tiling fixed with spray adhesive. That also meant I could use thinner paper stock for the printout. For my needs the running tunnels were 11' 8" with the platform tunnels roughly twice that diameter. That means a 100mm outside diameter pipe is "close enough" with the inside measuring around 23' in 4mm. The downside of course was the thickness of the pipe.

This is the partly finished platform at Moore Street. Something I started building in 2001 while still in Canada. Northern line, Holden style station and tiling. Long before anyone introduced tiling sheets or other helpful tube modelling bits. The wall was assembled in Photoshop from photos of Tooting Bec's tiles, Even the tube map has been altered to include the station name.

post-2818-12554337322564_thumb.jpg

The seams in the tiling would be hidden by the cable runs and the thickness of the pipe is apparent as the exit walling hasn't been installed.

Andrew, your use of a plastic pipe has provoked a "cogitate". It may be possible to either use the pipe as a form on which to curve the card or use a suitably dimensioned pipe I could cut to size and use as the support for the card (i.e. use the pipe as the outer tunnel lining).

This assumes I can find a correctly sized tube of an appropriate material

iD

Flaming Ada, has it really been nearly half-a-year since I've done anything on Camden Lock???

Andrew, your use of a plastic pipe has provoked a "cogitate". It may be possible to either use the pipe as a form on which to curve the card or use a suitably dimensioned pipe I could cut to size and use as the support for the card (i.e. use the pipe as the outer tunnel lining).

This assumes I can find a correctly sized tube of an appropriate material

iD

Flaming Ada, has it really been nearly half-a-year since I've done anything on Camden Lock???

The pipe was one of those "how the hell" moments and worked well.

Flaming Ada? Does that mean Nora finally retired? Don't feel bad, Moore St sat in storage for 8 years.

Archived